Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Terasawa »

Perfect, thank you!
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Toho should make at least one film that takes place in the Showa continuity, following up after Destroy All Monsters in a futuristic Showa-series version of the 2020’s. Not as a self-aware type of thing, but a genuine love letter to the series that started it all. Film it in 35mm, maybe even use Tohoscope, use rubber suits and pyrotechnics, etc.

It could be glorious.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I agree a Destroy All Monsters 2 could be fun.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It would be. Maybe they could even given Varan a good role.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

More Varan would be good. But I think it would be even funnier if they had one clip of him that was even shorter than the one in Destroy All Monsters.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

With the exception of the clever, giant but still an animal personality and the asexual reproduction, I would be fully ok with Zilla being a full on incarnation of Godzilla.

Edit: that's just GTS, I have immediately realized
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

The 1955 Anguirus suit is my favorite incarnation of him.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Tezuka's military movies (specifically GxMG and SOS) are an improvement on the Heisei G-Force movies.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I've always avoided saying this because I know for a fact that some users on here would jump down my throat. But fuck it I don't really give a shit about that anymore. I don't merely dislike Shin like I have said to avoid backlash, I despise it. I think it's hot fucking garbage. I do not understand how this film somehow won so many awards. The pacing is garbage, the characters and so one-note they make KoTM look Shakespearean, the affects are all over the place and the reused and repetitive soundtrack is super distracting and they should have found an actress who was actually bilingual for Kyato or whatever the fuck her name was. And you could have trimmed half an hour off of the movie and still have gotten the message across and have all the major events in the film occur as they do.

I like the original pieces of music made for the movie and like 2 of the scenes. The first military confrontation and the atomic breath scene. But that's about it.

I don't think less of anyone for liking it, I don't really give a fuck if someone disagrees with me on a movie. But I know for a fact several snarky and condescending replies about how "I just don't get it" are coming.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SoggyNoodles2016

I love Shin to bits (I'm sure you cant tell) however, all of your opinions are your own and I will respectfully agree to disagree

Hope you dont get too much have an ass wringing over them.

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I've always avoided saying this because I know for a fact that some users on here would jump down my throat. But skreeonk it I don't really give a poop about that anymore. I don't merely dislike Shin like I have said to avoid backlash, I despise it. I think it's hot skreeonking garbage. I do not understand how this film somehow won so many awards. The pacing is garbage, the characters and so one-note they make KoTM look Shakespearean, the affects are all over the place and the reused and repetitive soundtrack is super distracting and they should have found an actress who was actually bilingual for Kyato or whatever the skreeonk her name was. And you could have trimmed half an hour off of the movie and still have gotten the message across and have all the major events in the film occur as they do.

I like the original pieces of music made for the movie and like 2 of the scenes. The first military confrontation and the atomic breath scene. But that's about it.

I don't think less of anyone for liking it, I don't really give a skreeonk if someone disagrees with me on a movie. But I know for a fact several snarky and condescending replies about how "I just don't get it" are coming.
I don't think you're wrong for feeling the way you do. I disagree about a lot of little points you make, but I could see how you'd come to despise it. I don't see it as "you don't get it", more as "you get it, but don't like it".

I've stated this before, but I think it's worth mentioning: Kyoko, to a Japanese audience, would sound completely fluent in English. Considering she's a well known, and good actress in other things she's in, it doesn't surprise me or bother me. Part of the reason why I like the film is that it's intended for a specific audience. It's not trying to be some big overblown thing, like GFW, that is failing to have mass appeal to everyone in the world. It's why I appreciate some of the more controversial decisions more.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I don't think less of anyone for liking it, I don't really give a skreeonk if someone disagrees with me on a movie. But I know for a fact several snarky and condescending replies about how "I just don't get it" are coming.
YoU jUsT dOn'T gEt It

Nah you're fine. Whether it's new or old, not every Godzilla movie will click with everyone. Sorry that you'll inevitably meet those who are fueled by their "greater than thou" opinions.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm not sure how Unpopular this is, but I have a feeling it'll be controversial. I think I like the MUTOS as much as pretty much any post Biollante Kaiju the series has introduced. Not saying they're necessarily the best, but I view them as a valid and important part of the franchise. I think their designs and dynamic were unique enough, and I liked how they have variation. I wish we saw more of them in the future outside of cameos.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm not sure how Unpopular this is, but I have a feeling it'll be controversial. I think I like the MUTOS as much as pretty much any post Biollante Kaiju the series has introduced. Not saying they're necessarily the best, but I view them as a valid and important part of the franchise. I think their designs and dynamic were unique enough, and I liked how they have variation. I wish we saw more of them in the future outside of cameos.
I never really saw their designs as anything special since it's pretty much every hunched over, knuckle walking monster Hollywood's used since Cloverfield but..yeah i guess they're kinda important since they were the first American made Godzilla enemy.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm not sure how Unpopular this is, but I have a feeling it'll be controversial. I think I like the MUTOS as much as pretty much any post Biollante Kaiju the series has introduced. Not saying they're necessarily the best, but I view them as a valid and important part of the franchise. I think their designs and dynamic were unique enough, and I liked how they have variation. I wish we saw more of them in the future outside of cameos.
With the exception of Orga (who I still like less then the MUTOs), I agree.

I think it's because they're a kind of kaiju we haven't had in a while. Not some uber evil or anti heroic abomination or a mech, but a natural creature with a life cycle that causes conflict with humanity and hints of personality that makes it more then a monster

RIP Evan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not a big fan of the movie, like at all, but I really like Megaguirus' design.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Sorry, wrong thread. Ignore this post.
Last edited by GodzillaFreak99 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:I dislike the MCUs depiction of the Hulk (particularly in Avengers Endgame) they failed to do his character justice and I'd argue the almost ruined it imo.
Sir the main Unpopular Opinion thread is down in General Discussion.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

The one bit I’d like to argue in favor of shin, going along with the current (and surprisingly civil) discussion, is regarding the characters. I feel like the intent was to keep them one dimensional because they aren’t actually the main character, Japan is. So the main character in shin Godzilla does have a personality, and it’s the amalgamation of the people we see in the film. But I understand not everyone likes this type of thing in movies.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote:The one bit I’d like to argue in favor of shin, going along with the current (and surprisingly civil) discussion, is regarding the characters. I feel like the intent was to keep them one dimensional because they aren’t actually the main character, Japan is. So the main character in shin Godzilla does have a personality, and it’s the amalgamation of the people we see in the film. But I understand not everyone likes this type of thing in movies.
I think Rando is firmly developed and the main character, but isn't intended to be the "big star" or hero archetypical main character in the traditional sense. However, I completely agree with you.

The Japanese tagline of the film is "Japan vs. Godzilla" which only reinforces your point.