* Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Re: * Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

Post by realinvaderdesign »

canofhumdingers wrote:Dare I ask how much the Gamera the Brave BD was? It’s one I’ve regretted not grabbing right away for a long time now.
It wasnt cheap thats for sure seeming its out of print, around $80 on amazon (though that includes shipping), I wouldnt recommend paying that, you could probably get the hesei showa boxset for cheaper

Added in 6 minutes 55 seconds:
That being said, it could be worse, it could be the sony son of godzilla dvd, the one godzilla movie I dont have on disc

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

Post by Ultimategodzilla2054 »

Recently picked up all the Sony releases for the heisei and millennium series on bluray, as well as the king of the monsters bluray and mothra steel book.
When the criterion collection releases the showa era collection, which I've already preordered, I'll have basically every godzilla movie on bluray
You fool, I'm no mere super godzilla. I'm a godzilla that has ascended past that form
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Not godzilla but still, got these today Image
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I never thought I'd own this old thing, but here it is.

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

@realinvaderdesign: Where did you get those? What country do you live in? :eh:

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

MandaSaurus wrote:@realinvaderdesign: Where did you get those? What country do you live in? :eh:

Im from Scotland, so almost 90% of my kaiju movie collection is imports.

I preordered them from SRS cinema, they were a limited print run but it do seems like they have extra copies left, so if you want them best take advantage of the situation https://srscinemastore.com/

They also have the rights to RAIGA VS OHGA which should be coming out next year[/quote]
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Lately I've been on a nostalgia kick so I've been buying up new, sealed Godzilla VHS tapes. My goal is to collect all the sets I wanted/had as a kid. So far I've acquired,

I blew like $30 on this because it came with the coolest poster ever. Blockbuster and Godzilla crossover? Yes please. Not to mention it's of my favorite Godzilla art of all time. I have it framed right now.

This was one of the first sets my parents got for me. I'm a sucker for nice boxsets.

This one wasn't technically new but it looks new and it was only $8

This was a great find, $24 for both of them. I had the clam shell variant of KKvG but I thought it stuck out too much from the others.

I also got the VHS version of Reigo cause I'm the worst
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:Lately I've been on a nostalgia kick so I've been buying up new, sealed Godzilla VHS tapes. My goal is to collect all the sets I wanted/had as a kid. So far I've acquired,

I blew like $30 on this because it came with the coolest poster ever. Blockbuster and Godzilla crossover? Yes please. Not to mention it's of my favorite Godzilla art of all time. I have it framed right now.

This was one of the first sets my parents got for me. I'm a sucker for nice boxsets.

This one wasn't technically new but it looks new and it was only $8

This was a great find, $24 for both of them. I had the clam shell variant of KKvG but I thought it stuck out too much from the others.

I also got the VHS version of Reigo cause I'm the worst
Wow those are nice. Didnt think there was any sealed VHS tapes of Godzilla still in existence!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Godzilla21 wrote:Wow those are nice. Didnt think there was any sealed VHS tapes of Godzilla still in existence!
Thanks man, if you're interested there's a good amount of sealed tapes on eBay. Most of them pop up randomly though.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Wow those are nice. Didnt think there was any sealed VHS tapes of Godzilla still in existence!
Thanks man, if you're interested there's a good amount of sealed tapes on eBay. Most of them pop up randomly though.
Nice. Are you going to open them up or keep them wrapped?
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Godzilla21 wrote:Nice. Are you going to open them up or keep them wrapped?
I'm gonna keep them wrapped up. I think they make better display pieces if they're sealed up. Setting up my VCR just to watch them would be too much trouble for what it's worth considering I can watch my blurays or stream online.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

On the subject of recently-acquired VHS, I picked up a vg condition copy of The Mysterians from eBay.

Image Image

I love the RKO version art on this, although I actually prefer the art on the Star Classics budget release.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

A Turkish VCD of Godzilla 2000 from Georgia (the country).

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Space Hunter M wrote:A Turkish VCD of Godzilla 2000 from Georgia (the country).
And here I thought you already had every conceivable release of that movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Terasawa wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:A Turkish VCD of Godzilla 2000 from Georgia (the country).
And here I thought you already had every conceivable release of that movie.
I regret not being able to make an annual G2K purchase last year so this is to make up for that I guess.

I'm still missing the ugly looking transfer on the Taiwanese DVD.

Turkey apparently got a bunch of the Sony/TriStar catalog dubbed. There's vs Mothra and SpaceGodzilla dubs and a Mechagodzilla II dub that's still out there.

I guess we can add Turkish to the surprising ensemble of languages the Schlesinger cut is available in.
Last edited by Space Hunter M on Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Terasawa wrote:On the subject of recently-acquired VHS, I picked up a vg condition copy of The Mysterians from eBay.

Image Image

I love the RKO version art on this, although I actually prefer the art on the Star Classics budget release.
That is amazing! The same one I rented at Blockbuster Video circa late 1990/early 1991. I ended up with the Star Classics, but wouldn't mind having that version for posterity. Great Find!

I've gone back and forth on the concept of collecting more VHS tapes. I mean, I'm not getting rid of the ones I have, but again, they just sit in a box in the garage, and come out occasionally for display. Many are inexpensive, but when I think that there are literally dozens of releases of Megalon, just in English, it sometimes feels futile. I guess as long as I have at least one of each version I grew up with, I'm OK with that, plus the occasional oddity.

I'd love to replace my Amvest VHS of Yog which broke many years ago, and get an English dub of the Neptune VHS Gamera vs Zigra (to complete the set)...but again I have other priorities at the moment.
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

o.supreme wrote:is amazing! The same one I rented at Blockbuster Video circa late 1990/early 1991. I ended up with the Star Classics, but wouldn't mind having that version for posterity. Great Find!
Keep an eye out on eBay; there were a few more up for auction/buy it now when I bought that one. One is United Home Video (pre-VCI but the same company and same tape); it's SP mode too, so it holds up better today than the Star Classics version in that regard.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

How try hard am I if I buy a sealed screener VHS of Godzilla vs. Biollante from HBO
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Criterions godzilla set (aka the slab)

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

I got vs. King Ghidora (The first release version missing the H at the end of Ghidorah) and vs. Spacegodzilla sealed but no pics yet.

I scored this for a decent deal,

And I couldn't resist this one,

It's kind of hard to see but it's sealed. Now I'm only missing the Mothra, Monster Zero & Revenge 3 pack, Godzilla vs. Hedorah & Godzilla '98 to complete my sealed Godzilla VHS collection. I haven't seen the 3 pack being sold anywhere sealed, and Hedorah is like $150 sealed so...
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae