MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:I'm going throw out two monsters that would work extremely well in the Monsterverse. Gorgo and Reptilicus.

have Gorgo be a creature that lives so deep in the seas around Ireland that Orca call did reach her and make her the monster that destroyed UB-85 during world war one. Reptilicus, just stick to the start of the original movie. A piece of flesh from along dead titan is found frozen in a ice cave deep below Denmark. It gets defrosted and regenerates into a full grown Reptilicus.

And huge plus here, both are in the public domain. So, there is anything stopping them from being used. Hell, Toho could use both of them in their own Godzilla movies and not have to worry about legal action or anything like that.
Why not have Reptilicus be the creature that destroys UB-85? He fits the description better.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:I'm going throw out two monsters that would work extremely well in the Monsterverse. Gorgo and Reptilicus.

have Gorgo be a creature that lives so deep in the seas around Ireland that Orca call did reach her and make her the monster that destroyed UB-85 during world war one. Reptilicus, just stick to the start of the original movie. A piece of flesh from along dead titan is found frozen in a ice cave deep below Denmark. It gets defrosted and regenerates into a full grown Reptilicus.

And huge plus here, both are in the public domain. So, there is anything stopping them from being used. Hell, Toho could use both of them in their own Godzilla movies and not have to worry about legal action or anything like that.
Why not have Reptilicus be the creature that destroys UB-85? He fits the description better.
Either could work well, either way I really just want a movie were a submarine crew battle a sea monster in the early days of submarining. It could work as part of the Monsterverse, or as a stand alone movie.

Anyway, I've just thought of a very interesting way of how Jet Jaguar can be in the Monsterverse.

Ancient Astronauts!

So during the game between the Godzilla films, one of Monarch outposts
Has a temple of some sort. There they find a sealed off room made from some weird metal with a mummy inside it. So King Ghidorah's call awakens the titan that's kept there. This is real bad, nearly on the same level as Godzilla and King Ghidorah. so when it goes on a rampage, the mummy starts moving and in some way is revealed to be Jet Jaguar! Have the size changing robot be a fail safe, left behind by an alien race in ancient, incase this thing ever got revived.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Either could work well, either way I really just want a movie were a submarine crew battle a sea monster in the early days of submarining. It could work as part of the Monsterverse, or as a stand alone movie.

Anyway, I've just thought of a very interesting way of how Jet Jaguar can be in the Monsterverse.

Ancient Astronauts!

So during the game between the Godzilla films, one of Monarch outposts
Has a temple of some sort. There they find a sealed off room made from some weird metal with a mummy inside it. So King Ghidorah's call awakens the titan that's kept there. This is real bad, nearly on the same level as Godzilla and King Ghidorah. so when it goes on a rampage, the mummy starts moving and in some way is revealed to be Jet Jaguar! Have the size changing robot be a fail safe, left behind by an alien race in ancient, incase this thing ever got revived.[/quote]

Very cheesy...i like it!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I keep thinking there’s just nothing they can do BIGGER than what’s coming out next year, so why continue? But then I remember that LP simply doesn’t have any true big viable franchises other than the Monsterverse and Pokémon.

I think they for sure want to see what GvsKong does at the box office , but I definitely think we’re going to get a Kong 2 next... then hopefully a Godzilla return after that. So think of it like Kong 2 for 2022 and Godzilla 3 for 2023.

That lets the Monsterverse continue, but also gives Toho a chance to do whatever they want to do with Godzilla in between.
Last edited by Cookson on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla vs Kong can be topped especially if they don't do the team up now.

Even if they team Godzilla and Kong up now they still have the Godzilla, Kong, Rodan and Mothra team up to fall back on. Also not every film after has yo be as big as Godzilla vs Kong.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

miguelnuva wrote:Godzilla vs Kong can be topped especially if they don't do the team up now.

Even if they team Godzilla and Kong up now they still have the Godzilla, Kong, Rodan and Mothra team up to fall back on. Also not every film after has yo be as big as Godzilla vs Kong.
Not every film has to be as big as KOTM in scope, I know Godzilla vs Kong is a bigger deal in the meta sense cause it's a crossover with another film franchise and people are more familiar with movie star King Kong than King Ghid-who? but in context of story King Ghidorah was a bigger deal, he was destroying the entire world, where as the fight with Kong is a smaller personal story, as neither Godzilla nor Kong are going out of their ways to be a world wide threat (to either humans or nature), it's just two animals being pissy at each other on who is alpha with humanity caught in the middle at times (which from the plot synopsis, sounds like we brought it on ourselves by making them fight) .

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Have been thinking about this for awhile now, but I kind of like the idea of future films being their own stories and not connected to previous films. Sort of what DC and WB are doing.

First thing for LP to do is make a bad guy Godzilla film. A true remake of the original (though you can add other monsters).. show a truly evil Godzilla, that does have after effects from being a nuclear walking monster. Can still be under the “Monsterverse “ umbrella.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I dunno, I'd prefer a cohesive continuity instead of a disconnected anthology. They're doing a better job than DC did IMO, the worldbuilding is progressing with Monarch, the Hollow Earth and ancient history tying the movies together. They just need to push the shared universe angle a little more by having recurring characters that don't die off, anticlimactically (Dr Graham) or otherwise (Dr Serizawa).
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The shared universe concept was dead the minute they deciding to make GVK this early.

The main draw of this universe are the giant monsters and by having the only two noteworthy ones cross-over already, you've basically exhausted the marketable creative potential with this. Nobody's going to care about recurring characters. 2/3 films have had less than 10% of shared characters, one of which being essentially a background nobody.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:The shared universe concept was dead the minute they deciding to make GVK this early.

The main draw of this universe are the giant monsters and by having the only two noteworthy ones cross-over already, you've basically exhausted the marketable creative potential with this. Nobody's going to care about recurring characters. 2/3 films have had less than 10% of shared characters, one of which being essentially a background nobody.
Better to make it earlier then late. Godzilla vs Kong being rumored before they confirmed was the only time Godzilla pooped on mainstream TV, other than that El Nino here in Cali.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

So, to kind of get out of the Godzilla vs Kong thread....

There’s definitely a way the Monsterverse can thrive beyond Godzilla vs Kong. People might not like it, but it’s HBOMax. Let’s be real here for a second.. Godzilla vs Kong is probably the highest this franchise can go at the box office. So, how can you continue this franchise without worrying about financials?... Streaming.

They can continue the story basically about anything they want it to be.

I myself can easily see this... and in fact wouldn’t be surprised if some kind of announcement is made at upcoming HBOMax presentations. Whether that’s a movie or tv show, idk but The Mandalorian shows you can have great content on a streaming service.
Last edited by Cookson on Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

Yeah, but this isn't disney-level financing. The Mandalorian has a budget of A HUNDRED TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS. A Monsterverse show cannot have that level of financing.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GmkGoji wrote:Yeah, but this isn't disney-level financing. The Mandalorian has a budget of A HUNDRED TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS. A Monsterverse show cannot have that level of financing.
HBOMax has been confirmed to be using Film-Level budgets for their exclusive content.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

If you can get the subscribers, it doesn’t really matter what the budget would be... I mean yeah, over 150m for a streaming service movie seems like a lot...

Honestly, I see this being where the Monsterverse is heading AFTER Godzilla vs Kong. It just feels like streaming is the future. You can get fan driven content without worrying about budgets etc.

10 million subscribers times $12 a month.. 120 million a month. Easily will be over 10 million subscribers. Netflix has over 150 million subscribers... Disney+ is expected to be between 60-90 million subscribers soon. It’s all about the subscribers... you can put any content out you want with that. Don’t have to worry about box office disappointments.
Last edited by Cookson on Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I rather have them reboot the series on HBO Max. Not even something like the Monsterverse.

Make an 6-8 episode big budget retelling of Godzilla’s origins featuring just Godzilla. Mix the best elements from 1998 (the early buildup), 2014 (tension, scale, atmosphere, realism), Shin Godzilla (the politics and horror), and of course, the 1954 film (nuclear allegory). Basically, everything we wished 2014 was but covered in multiple episodes.

They could do a combination of Cloverfield and Chernobyl, specifically capturing POVs from an average Joe/Jane/civilians intertwined with military and scientist plots. Have numerous sets of characters that writers are forced to make us care.

From there on, future seasons can include more monsters.
Yooo 8-)

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

I'm not sure if WB cares that much about Godzilla or really anything about the Monsterverse in general enough to them moving the official Monsterverse movie series into it. Harsh at this sounds WB really cares about what's the most profitable and with how the Monsterverse is doing at the box office I can't see them having a reason to continue it on their streaming services even if they have the right amount of money to do it. Not to mention I don't know how Toho would feel about the idea to begin with. Yeah they want to expose Godzilla as much as possible but I don't know if they want to go to that direction especially since Legendary's Godzilla has done well for them in China theater wise and having the movie series continue on a streaming service wouldn't be the same thing..

If anything I'd rather have it so that they make an exclusive series on HBO Max that takes place in the Monsterverse that deals with a team of MONARCH going all over the world to discover more Titans and Megafauna from myth and legend as well as ones created from science and technology. Sort of like a Lost Tapes meets Agents of SHIELD type series. It'd be a good way to expand more on the Monsterverse lore.
Last edited by kaijuguy19 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

kaijuguy19 wrote:I
If anything I'd rather have it so that they make an exclusive series on HBO Max that takes place in the Monsterverse that deals with a team of MONARCH going all over the world to discover more Titans and Megafauna from myth and legend as well as ones created from science and technology. Sort of like a Lost Tapes meets Agents of SHIELD type series. It'd be a good way to expand more on the Monsterverse lore.
Yeah a low-key MONARCH series would be more my cup of tea. Less monsters, more lore. Maybe even non-kaiju monsters like Shockirus or Matango showing up!
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

DrPhilizSick@sHell98
Monarch Researcher

Post by DrPhilizSick@sHell98 »

@Dee_Sniper98 ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一 on Instagram

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Post by keizerkaiju »

kaijuguy19 wrote:I'm not sure if WB cares that much about Godzilla or really anything about the Monsterverse in general enough to them moving the official Monsterverse movie series into it. Harsh at this sounds WB really cares about what's the most profitable and with how the Monsterverse is doing at the box office I can't see them having a reason to continue it on their streaming services even if they have the right amount of money to do it.
I mean, Warner/Legendary haven't completely buried Pacific Rim, despite the original not doing all that well and the sequel flopping. If the plans to that Netflix anime series hold (now that HBOMax is on the horizon), it's them still pouring money into a property that has proven to not be profitable.