Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

on the one hand, yeah, it had some major issues that I could agree on.

On the other, 44% was WAY too low IMO.

it was a low 50 at least.

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:on the one hand, yeah, it had some major issues that I could agree on.

Once again, RT scores are not "X amount/100", they are "X percentage of critics liked this film".

44% of critics who saw KOTM liked it. That's what the score means.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:on the one hand, yeah, it had some major issues that I could agree on.

Once again, RT scores are not "X amount/100", they are "X percentage of critics liked this film".

RIGHT Sorry, fuck. I always forget. My bad.

Yeah, actual ratio was like 5/10, so I guess I'm fine?

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to point out that critics go to see many movies for work. People, audiences, spend money on seeing a movie. As a result, they're more biased to say they liked it, versus not liking it. I agree with SoggyNoodles though that like a 5/10 is what I'd give the film if I had to attribute a score.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mordern_Man
Ronin

Post by Mordern_Man »

One thing I really don’t get about the whole “Critics only likes PC movies” shtick is how KotM is less PC then the other Monsterverse movies? Both G 2014 and Skull Island got good reviews despite them being less “PC” then KotM.

Like, G 2014 had three female characters in it, one of which who dies in the first 15 minutes, and the other two who get very limited screen time. Additionally the movie has very little minority presence, and has a relatively lax stance on Climate Change with the message being that it will sort itself out.

Skull Island isn’t PC at all, it’s bloody and over the top, and a action film in the vein of Aliens. Again if critics only want PC stuff why would they like that so much?

And more importantly why would they not like KotM? It has far more female characters then the two previous ones, two Asian leads and two African American leads. Additionally the movie is much aggressive about its stance on climate change, and has the military being far more antagonistic then in 2014.

I just feel like this whole PC critics thing is such a stupid cop-out. I don’t think there is anything wrong with being PC, and if anything I wish Godzilla 2014 gave its female leads more to do, but 99% of critics don’t care as how progressive a film is as long as it isn’t like straight up offensive. I enjoy KotM, and there is no shame in that, but it makes infinitely more sense that critics were hard on it because it just isn’t that good. It’s kind of a mess in terms of pacing, tone, writing, and really everything. I mean hell, one of the most common praises by critics was at least the fights were good, but honestly I thought the fights were pretty crap.

I think that the average critic rating of 5/10 is pretty fair. I mean 2014 and Skull Island have average ratings of like 6.5, and I’d give those a 10 and a 8 respectively. If anything I think critics and audiences were far more wrong with those then this.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Mordern_Man wrote:One thing I really don’t get about the whole “Critics only likes PC movies” shtick is how KotM is less PC then the other Monsterverse movies? Both G 2014 and Skull Island got good reviews despite them being less “PC” then KotM.

Like, G 2014 had three female characters in it, one of which who dies in the first 15 minutes, and the other two who get very limited screen time. Additionally the movie has very little minority presence, and has a relatively lax stance on Climate Change with the message being that it will sort itself out.

Skull Island isn’t PC at all, it’s bloody and over the top, and a action film in the vein of Aliens. Again if critics only want PC stuff why would they like that so much?

And more importantly why would they not like KotM? It has far more female characters then the two previous ones, two Asian leads and two African American leads. Additionally the movie is much aggressive about its stance on climate change, and has the military being far more antagonistic then in 2014.

I just feel like this whole PC critics thing is such a stupid cop-out. I don’t think there is anything wrong with being PC, and if anything I wish Godzilla 2014 gave its female leads more to do, but 99% of critics don’t care as how progressive a film is as long as it isn’t like straight up offensive. I enjoy KotM, and there is no shame in that, but it makes infinitely more sense that critics were hard on it because it just isn’t that good. It’s kind of a mess in terms of pacing, tone, writing, and really everything. I mean hell, one of the most common praises by critics was at least the fights were good, but honestly I thought the fights were pretty crap.

I think that the average critic rating of 5/10 is pretty fair. I mean 2014 and Skull Island have average ratings of like 6.5, and I’d give those a 10 and a 8 respectively. If anything I think critics and audiences were far more wrong with those then this.
It's because people are mad that critics disagreed with them. We wouldn't have heard any of this if the same exact movie got 80%.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I'll say this.

Movies like Detective Pikachu, It Chapter Two, Brightburn, and Captain Marvel, while not getting overwhelmingly positive reviews, they all got generally better reviews than Godzilla: KOTM, and I thought Godzilla was way better than all of them, and I liked Rambo: Last Blood too, and that also got crapped on.

I don't know what the disconnect is between the critics and myself, but it is clearly there.

And I'm sure Rise of Skywalker will get kinder reviews too and that looks like a fiasco waiting to happen, if the trailers are anything to go by.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Absolutely. It was a meh movie.

The whole movie should have just been like Rodan waking up. Not some hormonal teenager, not a bunch of ecoterrorists. Just monsters running around and causing destruction IN BROAD DAY LIGHT. People in terror and acting reactionary (not proactive) in response to the monsters.

I mean, for fuck's sake, Boston (or whatever that city was) was evacuated when Ghidorah was there and the monsters were fighting. Why are there never large groups of people caught in the middle of Monster attacks?
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I don't see the film as worthy of A+ grade praise critically, but I think the critics really went too far. If we can get by the books, repeated copy-paste plots in 80% of the MCU films (and I say that as a fan of Marvel and most of Disney) get consistently high scores even if they completely lack the 'fresh and new' drive RT seems to clamor for (but never actually define what that is) I don't understand why KOTM got such a low score.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I'm just here for the monsters.
That's all you had to say. ;)

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Add Terminator Dark Fate to the list of 2019 films that undeservedly got higher RT scores than Godzilla: KOTM.

But Terminator is a dead franchise I always beg to stop every time a sequel fails, so maybe I'm biased, lol.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GojiDog wrote:Add Terminator Dark Fate to the list of 2019 films that undeservedly got higher RT scores than Godzilla: KOTM.

But Terminator is a dead franchise I always beg to stop every time a sequel fails, so maybe I'm biased, lol.
Considering quite a few people seem to Enjoy T6, maybe there's a bit more to it. Maybe this franchise ain't as dead as you think. ;)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GojiDog wrote:Add Terminator Dark Fate to the list of 2019 films that undeservedly got higher RT scores than Godzilla: KOTM.

Terminator 6 had some really good action, some interesting ideas (Grace, the Ra-X) and some unique locations and set pieces (starting out in Mexico, the Border Patrol sequence...etc.) You could clearly tell what was going on, and the characters had clear motivations with only a handful of small characters. There were moments of brevity and humor, but these did not detract from the over-all seriousness of what was going on.

Terminator Dark Fate is by no means a great film, but I understand why overall it's liked better then KOTM.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Is Dark Fate's Audience score on RT just as high though? Cause I've been hearing and seeing thumbnails of videos talking about how T6 was a pretty big bomb both critically and money wise. So that could be another case of Critics and Audiences don't see eye to eye on certain things especially if some of those same critics tend to be a little biased on things they like or don't like.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

kaijuguy19 wrote:Is Dark Fate's Audience score on RT just as high though? Cause I've been hearing and seeing thumbnails of videos talking about how T6 was a pretty big bomb both critically and money wise. So that could be another case of Critics and Audiences don't see eye to eye on certain things especially if some of those same critics tend to be a little biased on things they like or don't like.
As of right now: Critics - 72%, Audience - 84%

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijuguy19 wrote:Is Dark Fate's Audience score on RT just as high though? Cause I've been hearing and seeing thumbnails of videos talking about how T6 was a pretty big bomb both critically and money wise. So that could be another case of Critics and Audiences don't see eye to eye on certain things especially if some of those same critics tend to be a little biased on things they like or don't like.
The “big bomb critically” is clickbaity YouTube bullshit again.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Well Dark Fate didn't do as well at the box office.

I'm not surprised Terminator is a franchise that should have stopped making movies after T2. Most everything else that came out after it was a sad attempt to try and recapture the glory of that pop culture phenomenon, and its never worked.

If people liked DF, more power to them I guess, but I am so sick of that formula (Evil time traveling killer robot + protector of future Jesus + Future Jesus = Terminator movie) and I am so sick of that franchise retreading the same ground over and over again that I would like to never see another Terminator film ever again.

I mean sure, it wasn't as bad as the bombastically stupid Genesys...but that's damning it with faint praise.

Its funny how there are certain film series that I will watch any new entry for (Godzilla obviously being one of them) and others like Terminator, Alien, and Predator that you couldn't pay me to be interested in as those properties have been dragged through the mud so much, each new film just puts me in a state of depression.

Kill all white men.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:I love how people treat the Audience Score in RT as gospel even though it's as full of as many discrepancies as the Tomato-Meter. For instance, the Audience Score for Justice League was a solid 72%, but that movie sucked ass from an ass while riding an ass.
Suicide Squad's was "fresh" at one point as well with a RT audience score at or near 70% if I'm not mistaken. You really think that was the consensus?
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think some of the audience liked JL and SS more than the fans did, that's for sure.

Most audiences going to see them walked in expecting loud noises, good music and fun action. They received all of that with a side of garbage storytelling, but quite a few of my friends who don't normally like CBMs liked SS.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Dude I don’t know how anybody got a good experience with suicide squad. It’s not a good representation of the characters. It’s not a good movie. I’d argue it isn’t even a very fun movie. But you know if you liked it more power to you.
He Jock it Made of Steel