Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I would say KSI is better then PR1. PR1 feels like there's three big set pieces, with the middle being the best part of the film. The human characters were really boring in PR1. KSI had a consistent ramp up, and John C Reilly, Sam Jackson, and John Goodman all had moments. The film had a lot of good camera work and shots, and felt appropriately horrific when it needed to, but also was just fun.

As it stands:
Shin>KSI>G14/PR>ANI Trilogy>KOTM>PRU.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

KOTM>PRIM>SHIN>KSI>PRIM2>G14>ANI

Enough Said

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

G14>KOTM>KSI>Shin>PacRim>Anime

Pac Rim Uprising doesn't even feel like a kaiju flick so i won't count it within the Kaiju Resurgence.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Well, since were putting our rankings, might as well put mine in the mix.

KOTM=G14>Shin=KSI>PacificRim>PacificRimUprising>AnimeTrilogy
Last edited by Gojira2K on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Shin and to a lesser degree G14 were the only two I liked, and I’m not really interested in watching either very often (both once on video since their theatrical runs). Haven’t seen KSI or the second PR and honestly not very interested in the former and not at all motivated to see the latter.

AniGoji and KOTM make up four of my bottom five Godzillas and I thought PacRim was horrible.

Not that anyone cares.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Well the definitive, accurate listing is of course mine;

1) Godzilla (2014)
2) Shin Godzilla
3) Godzilla: King of the Monsters
4) Kong: Skull Island
5) Anime Trilogy
6) Pacific Rim
7) Pacific Rim: Uprising

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I know I'm one of the very few that legitimately enjoyed PRU. Absolutely love everything regarding Obsidian Fury.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote: Haven’t seen KSI
You really should give it a shot. Can't hurt
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Shin = PR > KSI > G14 > KOTM > Colossal > Rampage > Anime Trilogy > PRU

I included Colossal and Rampage because I consider them part of this resurgence as well.

Re: PR, I think a lot of people are sleeping on it. The characters aren't nearly as poorly written as some may think. Mako's arc is probably the greatest out of any character among this list and the rest of the cast are all enjoyable enough on their own. Even Raleigh who some dislike is still far more tolerable and likeable than Haruo, Ford Brody, and definitely any of the cast from PRU. The side characters like Herc and Chuck, Stacker, and especially Hermann and Newt all get their own moments to shine and grow throughout the film. The visual design is fantastic, especially the different designs for each Jaeger and the color throughout the film. And the animation philosophies give each giant character a great sense of scale and weight, something that hasn't been done in kaiju cinema for a long time now. Can't forget that great musical score by Ramin Djawadi.

Maybe it's just my thorough reading of the art book that put all this in my head, but I think PR is genuinely top-tier when it comes to this new era. Part of me believes the abysmal sequel gave people the wrong idea about the original but I know that's likely not the case.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Absolutely love everything regarding Obsidian Fury.
But there was absolutely nothing to it so I'm not sure how you can "love everything" about it? Cool design, yeah, but it's a complete nothing of a character.
Godzilla21 wrote:
I second this. Like I said in an earlier post, it's a great visual treat and love letter to monster films and war flicks like Apocalypse Now.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Well, while we’re ranking...

1. KOTM
2. Pacific Rim/Kong Skull Island
3. Godzilla (2014)
4. Shin Godzilla
5. Anime trilogy
6. Pacific Rim: Uprising
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
I second this. Like I said in an earlier post, it's a great visual treat and love letter to monster films and war flicks like Apocalypse Now.
I have it on my DVR. I was planning on watching it before KOTM but couldn't find the time. And then my disappointment with KOTM squashed my interest in Kong. Yeah, that's unfair, but that's how it worked out. I'll get around to it eventually.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
I have it on my DVR. I was planning on watching it before KOTM but couldn't find the time. And then my disappointment with KOTM squashed my interest in Kong. Yeah, that's unfair, but that's how it worked out. I'll get around to it eventually.
It's a fun "Hollywood" film in a good way. It's full of action, and nicely stylized, but not overtly obnoxious or childish. There's a lot of homages to a lot of horror and war films that you would enjoy. Some nice sets and cinematography as well. It also doesn't try to be overly EPIC and world shattering like KOTM.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
You really shouldn't hold KOTM against Kong. They are plenty different. Just try to watch it before GvK.
SpaceG92 wrote:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:...and I thought PacRim was horrible.
This isn't the thread for it, but that film hasn't aged well at all.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla21 wrote:You really shouldn't hold KOTM against Kong. They are plenty different. Just try to watch it before GvK.
It's not that I hold it against it for the more recent movie. It's that I'm not really a fan of modern "tentpole" films, like at all. When KOTM was nearing release I was actually very hyped for it because I thought it looked fun (lol). So, as part of that hype, I started to get really interested in KSI. If it hadn't been for KOTM I'm not sure I really would have been interested in it at all: except for it being a King Kong movie, and part of a Godzilla cinematic universe, it didn't look or seem like anything that was really up my alley. So that's what I mean when I say my reaction to KOTM stalled my interest in KSI.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:You really shouldn't hold KOTM against Kong. They are plenty different. Just try to watch it before GvK.
It's not that I hold it against it for the more recent movie. It's that I'm not really a fan of modern "tentpole" films, like at all. When KOTM was nearing release I was actually very hyped for it because I thought it looked fun (lol). So, as part of that hype, I started to get really interested in KSI. If it hadn't been for KOTM I'm not sure I really would have been interested in it at all: except for it being a King Kong movie, and part of a Godzilla cinematic universe, it didn't look or seem like anything that was really up my alley. So that's what I mean when I say my reaction to KOTM stalled my interest in KSI.
Ok.... well like we are saying, give it a shot. Its good fun. Come back and give us your thoughts
SpaceG92 wrote:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Let me in on this rating thing too I guess.

1. Pacific Rim
2. Shin Godzilla
3. Kong: Skull Island
4. Pacific Rim Uprising
5. Rampage
6. King of the Monsters
7. Godzilla 2014

Don't think I missed anything. As low as KotM is it still doesn't irritate me near as much as G14 did. I also can't say PR is better than Shin Godzilla but Shin doesn't have the same rewatch value. The thing that separates my top three from the rest is just how stylish and inventive they are on a technical level.

Give KSI a shot. It is a very good looking movie at least and I feel it did the best job in the MV of fulfilling its intentions.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

UltramanGoji wrote:Shin = PR > KSI > G14 > KOTM > Colossal > Rampage > Anime Trilogy > PRU
The truth.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Should The Meg count? Megalodons are pretty big. Jaws probably isn't a Kaiju, although still pretty big for a Great White Shark.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Should The Meg count? Megalodons are pretty big. Jaws probably isn't a Kaiju, although still pretty big for a Great White Shark.
I don’t count The Meg, no. It’s not kaiju enough.