Godzilla Films Fan-Remasters

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Showa Hi-Vision Transfers Remaster

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

The DVDBeaver screenshots are jpegs, but I don't see any particular loss of detail between the MB and Criterion discs.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Color matched to the new champion cut, thanks to omgitsgodzilla for the files!
Spoiler:
Last edited by airforce111 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I came back from vacation to find an early Christmas present! This looks incredible if you ask me. I have to give major kudos to you for this effort and what it is inevitably going to do for especially people like me and RedMenace who make reconstructions of specific versions.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That looks fantastic. If there's one upside to Toho's constant hamstringing of US releases, it's that it always seems to motivate fans to pick up their slack as best they can. I got into doing reconstructions as a direct response to the Kraken '84 disc, and it became a whole thing.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

I, as a Godzilla fan, intend to give my fullest support to this however I can
Rest in Peace Victoria

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

At first glance that DAM frame looks like it’s from the Sony transfer of Gigan. Very nice!
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Thanks! Actually it turned out better than expected as well. I actually did my first full encode last night (8 hours) and it looked amazing but TOO sharp (areas with blocking/artifacts appearing), also to blame was my encoding settings as well making it quite sharp.

I'll try for another full encode soon and probably upload it. I'm not gimping out on quality so it will be around 19-20 gigabytes, around the same size as the original toho video track, with audio tracks it comes around 21-22gb which fits nicely into a single layer bluray disc. I feel if I encode any lower the full effect of my work won't make as much of an impact.

Most showa encodes (im guessing all of them) should be able to fit in a single layer bluray.

If there is demand for a lower quality version, I could render one out that way as well but the experience wont be as good obviously
Last edited by airforce111 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Version 1.0 of DAM has released, first post has been changed to reflect changes. Toho transfer to come later. Megalon is next. PM for details, or alternatively view my projects on my signature!
Spoiler:
Last edited by airforce111 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

MEGALON currently on its 12 hour render, screenshot from the rendered file
Spoiler:
Last edited by airforce111 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Good job tackling that faded and hazy look the Toho transfers have.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Thanks, that was one of the first things I had in mind when tackling these. Update: Megalon is uploading, but I've found that I am having issues with Mothra vs Godzilla for some reason and I was about to finish this one too, getting some bad frames randomly, single frame issue. Ill have to find a workaround.

EDIT: I ended up having to convert to an uncompressed 300gigabyte file NOT using any adobe products but another transcoder since adobe can't read these h264 files properly and edit that. Adobe has issues reading some h264 files, i dont know whats different with mothra, it does it on some otehrs too. As far as im concerned, not on DAM and Megalon
Spoiler:
Last edited by airforce111 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Some movies glitch out in Adobe, so I used VirtualDub (Davinci Resolve can do this too but it also glitches in there) to render them out to CINEFORM files to edit, what a godsend, looks uncompressed and doesn't take as much space as uncompressed avi or quicktime animation codec. Then render them out to bluray. So I fixed random bad frames issue that way.

Mothra vs Godzilla done, the transfer is pretty atrocious so I did the best I could and it still it's just a polished atrocity, I figured I'll probably do more of the bad transfers to get them out of the way first. Still have to get to uploading Megalon and this one. Here's a still from the finished file
Spoiler:
Last edited by airforce111 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Invasion is done and currently re-colorcorrecting mothra. If anything, I thought they had a nice old reel look once corrected (even though the print is not in good shape)
Spoiler:
Last edited by airforce111 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

You know, while there's obviously nothing really to be done for the inherent lack of detail, these images are a lot less of an eyesore with the corrected colors. I'm really impressed.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Godzamera
Yojimbo

Post by Godzamera »

Looking forward to these.
GODZILLA BOX

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

I have finished: Astro Monster, Ghidrah, Mothra vs Godzilla, Megalon, they will be uploaded soon. Next movie, is what I think most fans are looking forward to (as far as colors are concerned) Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Man, better colors really don't flatter the fake blood, do they? :lol:

I think my favorite thing about these stills so far is the skies, honestly. They look like the actual sky, which isn't something you can usually say for the Hi-Visions.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

airforce111 wrote:I have finished: Astro Monster, Ghidrah, Mothra vs Godzilla, Megalon, they will be uploaded soon. Next movie, is what I think most fans are looking forward to (as far as colors are concerned) Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)

Those colors! :godzilla: :mechagodzilla: :huge:

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Godzamera
Yojimbo

Post by Godzamera »

I hope these are uploaded soon. The colors are extremely pleasing.
GODZILLA BOX

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Man, better colors really don't flatter the fake blood, do they? :lol:

I think my favorite thing about these stills so far is the skies, honestly. They look like the actual sky, which isn't something you can usually say for the Hi-Visions.
I agree, I hadnt noticed until I worked on this but alot of the sky colors in the hivision prints are more purple than blue, maybe the green haze over everything kind of masked that
Godzamera wrote:I hope these are uploaded soon. The colors are extremely pleasing.
I am thinking I'll upload the first versions for now, but I took another look at Criterions and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla seems to look better (detail wise, all the grain bits are there and on toho's it's extremely DNR'd) so does Invasion of the Astro Monster (more of the frame is included and it seems like again more detail). Also their Ghidrah transfer is way different than Toho's, it seems they have their hands on some other variations of the prints (or atleast a print before it was even MORE heavily DNR'd, because Astro monster and Mechagodzilal look like they have been DNR'd TWICE vs the rest of the films). I think I'll look into some reviews once it comes out to see if its justifieable to buy the set...and then of course update it to those
Last edited by airforce111 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.