Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Official News topic

Post by Rhedosaurus »

A recent study has shown that Komodo Dragons have osteoderms under their scales.

https://news.yahoo.com/heres-why-komodo ... RzZWMDc2M-

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Rhedosaurus wrote:A recent study has shown that Komodo Dragons have osteoderms under their scales.

Those big lizards keep surprising us, it was only a few years ago it was discovered that they had venom along with their germy saliva.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Last edited by G2000 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Living Corpse wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:A recent study has shown that Komodo Dragons have osteoderms under their scales.

Those big lizards keep surprising us, it was only a few years ago it was discovered that they had venom along with their germy saliva.
And they've been on this Earth for a long time. They really make their mosasaur ancestors proud. :D

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Todd Phillips is currently catching flack for telling it like it is, lol.. typical.

More controversy = more money for Joker though so keep it coming :lol:
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:Todd Phillips is currently catching flack for telling it like it is, lol.. typical.
Todd Phillips seems to have wanted to make a thought-provoking, conversation-starting movie, and now he's basically saying that there's really no conversation worth having about it. Yes, people have been quick to judge something they haven't seen, but his response has been pretty hollow and seems more about defending himself than defending the movie.

I'm still looking forward to the movie, but he's given me reason to fear that it'll turn out to be just a lot of sound and fury.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

For once, crooked, murdering cops AREN'T let off the hook just because they're cops?

I guess there IS justice in this world after all.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Todd Phillips is currently catching flack for telling it like it is, lol.. typical.
Todd Phillips seems to have wanted to make a thought-provoking, conversation-starting movie, and now he's basically saying that there's really no conversation worth having about it. Yes, people have been quick to judge something they haven't seen, but his response has been pretty hollow and seems more about defending himself than defending the movie.

I'm still looking forward to the movie, but he's given me reason to fear that it'll turn out to be just a lot of sound and fury.
The other weird thing, is it seems like everyone is arguing with each other...pointlessly. Going online I've seen a lot of people bash "the critics", for calling it dark, even though the film seems to be universally liked by them. The movie will do well, not because of the controversy.

This whole controversy is by far the stupidest Non-Troversy I have ever seen. All that happened, was that the theater where the shooting happened does not want to air the film, for very apparent reasons. I may add, they have every right to not air it, even if there was no controversy. Additionally, the FBI/gov released a simple statement, warning government employees to be careful in case there is a copy-cat killer. No one, at least anyone worth caring about, has argued that the Joker film, character, or whatever, has somehow made people violent, or directly has any involvement in subsequent issues. The FBI/Media is not magically hating or condemning the movie.

If people, after seeing the film, have complaints, or genuine criticisms of the film, that's fine, and should be viewed as a completely separate thing.

And now for my opinion:
While I do not think movie violence causes violence, as in the actual act of killing being portrayed in movies, I do think movies can alter people's perceptions of the world or validate them. This isn't specific to movie violence btw, but there's definitely tons of movies people see and agree or resonate hard with the protagonist. In certain contexts, when characters are intended to be overtly hateable, such as the cast of Always Sunny, yet people view them as sincere, it can cause problems. Surely, there's a bunch of people out of the billions that saw Dark Knight, that took what the Joker was saying as some weird truth. I don't have an issue with that, or people having their own interpretations of media, but when you couple that with someone that feels like society is out to get them and insecurities, you can see how that type of thing can aid in the development of toxic mindsets. I don't think its medias fault at all, but I don't think it should be some taboo to even have this discussion. I think that guns and a lot of other issues cause violence, not media, but I think it's easy to see any media (books, games, movies) helping people ease into an anti-social mindset.

To give a very real example: V for Vendetta. Post that movie, tons of people were wearing the masks and suddenly thought they were the big hidden saviors. I don't have really an issue with that, I'm just pointing out an example how disenfranchised people can latch onto movies.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

KManX89 wrote:
For once, crooked, murdering cops AREN'T let off the hook just because they're cops?

Keep in mind that she originally wasn't charged. She was able to keep her job for another 18 days. And the lead detective, David Armstrong, still wanted to testify her innocence in light of all the shit she did.

Justice was indeed served in the end, but the police department dragged their feet in every aspect of this investigation.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

Keep in mind that she originally wasn't charged. She was able to keep her job for another 18 days. And the lead detective, David Armstrong, still wanted to testify her innocence in light of all the poop she did.

Justice was indeed served in the end, but the police department dragged their feet in every aspect of this investigation.
Why did she commit the murder?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

Keep in mind that she originally wasn't charged. She was able to keep her job for another 18 days. And the lead detective, David Armstrong, still wanted to testify her innocence in light of all the poop she did.

She lived next to him, entered his apartment instead of hers, and assuming he was an intruder, shot him to death.

In addition, other parts of the case, show how police in America, actively try to smear and shame victims:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45525275
The police got a search warrant AFTER the shooting, in order to look for evidence, or something to excuse why this went down the way it did.

"he possessed Marijuana so that means its actually okay we shot him"

The entire thing shows how cavalier police are to shoot people (more specifically black men) and how police in most circumstances, are given tons of extra time, and help, to excuse or find ways to wiggle their way out of situations they are in that would be damming for any other person.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

She was on the wrong floor of her building, thought his apartment was hers, noticed that the door wasn't closed properly and opened as soon as she pushed her key partway into the lock, entered the dark room, saw him, thought he was an intruder, apparently saw no other option than to open fire.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I feel like I would have noticed at least 5 things that aren't mine before noticing the guy who lived there and deciding he was an intruder.
Last edited by Darth Kiryu on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Darth Kiryu wrote:I feel like I would have noticed at least 5 things that aren't mine before noticing the guy who lived there and deciding he was an intruder.
Yeah, but you probably don't live your life constantly and eagerly anticipating your opportunity to kill someone.

Hawanja
Ronin

Post by Hawanja »

LegendZilla wrote:
Something else to consider, the bullet came from a downward angle. So he was either sitting down, or was on his knees or something before she shot him. The police usually tell you to "Get down on the ground" or something to that effect, so it looks like he was complying.

So even it if her story that she just went into the wrong place is true, it doesn't look like he was a threat to her when she fired.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Hawanja wrote:So even it if her story that she just went into the wrong place is true, it doesn't look like he was a threat to her when she fired.
No shit he wasn't a threat; dude was minding his own business and eating ice cream.
He/him/his

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Hawanja wrote:So even it if her story that she just went into the wrong place is true, it doesn't look like he was a threat to her when she fired.
No shit he wasn't a threat; dude was minding his own business and eating ice cream.
She says he approached her saying, "Hey, hey, hey."

Clearly "Hey, hey, hey" sounds like a threat, and totally not like a person trying to calm down the psycho pointing a gun at him...

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Seriously, I don't get why cops are given more leeway in the "justice" system.

If anything, they should be held to a HIGHER standard than everybody else, not the other way around.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"