Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Terasawa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:20 am

In his 2010 comedy special "Seriously Funny," Hart told audiences his biggest fear was his son coming out as gay. Hart said that "as a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will.” He addressed the joke in 2015 Rolling Stone interview, where he did not apologize and said that he wouldn't make the same joke again because the times weren't as "sensitive."


In his Instagram post announcing he would step down from the Oscars, he said he’d “matured.” A man who doesn’t apologize for insensitive comments (hardly a “joke” when the punchline is apparently “my son won’t be gay”) doesn’t sound too mature to me.

He also tweeted such jokes with language as “a gay bill board for AIDS” and calling someone a “FAT FAG.”

Yeah, he got the screwed over. :roll:
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4794
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby G2000 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:21 am

UltramanGoji wrote:Hart stepped down on his own accord.


I don't want to have this argument here but let's not act like he wasn't strong-armed into it, the Academy basically told him to apologize for retroactive thought crime or step down

Terasawa wrote:What Hollywood talent was blacklisted that didn’t deserve it?


HUAC did nothing wrong
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Terasawa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:25 am

G2000 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:What Hollywood talent was blacklisted that didn’t deserve it?


HUAC did nothing wrong


Come on, dude. You know JNavs’ context was about “social justice warriors” in recent years, not Republicans in Congress cracking down on “commie” Hollywood talent in the ‘40s and ‘50s.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14187
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby UltramanGoji » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:26 am

G2000 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Hart stepped down on his own accord.


I don't want to have this argument here but let's not act like he wasn't strong-armed into it, the Academy basically told him to apologize for retroactive thought crime or step down

The Academy (through Ellen DeGeneres apparently) told him it was up to him and that he could've continued being the host if he wanted to.
Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5668
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:27 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:It is, because it was that group who began the accusations.


Hart was given the choice to return to hosting if he so desired. He's also starring in a few upcoming movies so...he's clearly not blacklisted.

I'm not even sure you know what the term "blacklisted" even means, to be honest.

_JNavs_ wrote:And what? Pot meet Kettle? I'm not the one constantly mad at every new comment on the forum for no reason :lol:.


You called victims of a mass shooting "selfish" for choosing not to show a new movie that would incite a copycat incident and threw a shitfit in the MCU thread over Spider-Man returning to the franchise. You have no room to say that people are always finding something new to be mad about.

Was the blacklisted comment necessary? Just seems like more of the typical chip-on-shoulder vibe. I didn't call the victims anything, don't twist words. I said I found it selfish that families wanted Aurora as a whole city not to air the film, I was later corrected that it was only the one theater, in which I accepted that I was incorrect.

I made one post stating my thoughts on what the future holds for Marvel films in general. With no spite in my words, because I don't take forums seriously enough to want to utter venom in my words. Mind you both of these events happened in the past 3 days, so yes sir, as far as "mad at" goes, I tend not to fall into the always cranky about life itself category.

Anyway back on topic since that's seeming to be difficult for some of us, Rotten Tomatoes has nothing to do with KOTMs score, that would fall under the "Verified" Critics role.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Chrispy_G
Interpol Agent
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Chrispy_G » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:24 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:choosing not to show a new movie that would incite a copycat incident


Nice to hear that you know the future, that the film will for a FACT incite a copycat incident.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6561
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:44 am

Can I also ask...legitimately...if anyone actually even reads the little blurbs written by critics on Rotten Tomatoes? Sure some are bad, but the majority give real reasons why they didn’t like the film.

Also, I find it hilarious how people that really like KOTM so much, are in such denial that the film doesn’t have any flaws, that they have to come up with reasons, bordering on conspiracy theories, as to why it wasn’t loved or worshipped by everyone. The amount of mental gymnastics so many of you are doing on so many fronts...

Like, the RT people are clearly just haters, the users on this site are clearly just all wrong, the box office not being massively successful is because of Disney...etc...

Also in regards to this whole Social Justice movie thing, while I agree a lot of movies are sanitized and committee built, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood completely laughs in your face. I also don’t see KOTM as any different then any of the MCU films, in terms of being sanitary mass appealing things...except it wasn’t executed well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby KingKaiju » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:21 am

I've heard the words "perfect" and "masterpiece" thrown around, in regards to this film. Anytime I see that, I laugh.
Image

User avatar
realinvaderdesign
Yojimbo
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby realinvaderdesign » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:36 am

I try to ignore review sites like RT or IMBD and tend to watch movies blind , really i think these sites are poisonous and make people form opinions before they see the movies. eg marvel movies like avengers end game and the two tom holland spiderman movies, RT gave them almost perfect scores while in my opinion they were very underwhelming.

That being said, RT can say what they want about kotm, its not going to sway my opinion of the movie and really thats all that matters, If a movie is bad or good then really thats up to the viewer not other people.

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Smuggers » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:10 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Can I also ask...legitimately...if anyone actually even reads the little blurbs written by critics on Rotten Tomatoes? Sure some are bad, but the majority give real reasons why they didn’t like the film.

Nah, you're just meant to take the ones that contain snide remarks or seemingly contradictory complaints and apply them to every single review.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Terasawa » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:27 am

My favorite denial is:

“Critics don’t like these movies!”

The previous Monsterverse films did pretty well, critically. So did Shin Godzilla, although that was obviously a much smaller release.

Critics just didn’t like this movie.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby KingKaiju » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:25 pm

Terasawa wrote:My favorite denial is:

“Critics don’t like these movies!”

The previous Monsterverse films did pretty well, critically. So did Shin Godzilla, although that was obviously a much smaller release.

Critics just didn’t like this movie.


CrItiCs HaTE GOdzIlLA mOvIES!!!!!!!!!!
Image

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 865
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:13 am

I'm just going to say this.

Do I think that this movie deserved a lower score then Godzilla 2014? Yes, mainly because of how bad the human villains were written.

Do I think it deserved to get a score as low as it did? No, but I can see why it did for the reason I mentioned.

It deserved a 60% or so.

User avatar
HedorahIsBestGirl
Samurai
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:29 am

Did KOTM deserve like an 80 or 90% on RT? Definitely not. Did it get worse reviews than it deserved? Yes. Critics have weird preferences for movies sometimes. I thought Ant-Man and the Wasp was completely forgettable and one of the worst MCU movies; critics on RT scored it at 88% and wouldn't shut up about what a "breath of fresh air" it was. Indie horror movies always get rated way better than I think they deserve. On the flip side, many action movies get too much hate. Critics seem to pan any action-driven movie that isn't Marvel, John Wick or Mission Impossible. So an action movie that also happens to be a giant monster movie based on a Japanese franchise isn't going to be looked on too favorably. Godzilla 2014 got good reviews because it was made by a critic-lauded indie director and stuck to the style of American monster movies. KOTM was a more traditional monster action movie that didn't "subvert expectations" and that's what critics have a hard-on for, as proven by glowing reviews for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, despite negative reviews from audiences. Godzilla 2014 DID subvert expectations by showing restraint instead of blowing the CGI budget on lengthy kaiju showdowns and critics liked that, even though it disappointed many fans.

TLDR: KOTM deserved better than 40%, but it's unsurprising it didn't get it because it's not the kind of movie that critics are going to like.

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:39 am

More likely because it was poorly written and paced, with boring and forgettible characters. Also, the 40% score doesn't reflect the individual critic scores...

Also, The Last Jedi > A New Hope 2.0 but... ya know... Women and people of color!!! What a damn agenda! Goddamn SJW libtards!!
Image

User avatar
HedorahIsBestGirl
Samurai
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 am

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:55 am

KingKaiju wrote:More likely because it was poorly written and paced, with boring and forgettible characters. Also, the 40% score doesn't reflect the individual critic scores...

Also, The Last Jedi > A New Hope 2.0 but... ya know... Women and people of color!!! What a damn agenda! Goddamn SJW libtards!!


Wow, are we really arguing Star Wars on Toho Kingdom? Okay, skreeonk it...

Who said anything about women or people of color? Assuming only the alt-right hates The Last Jedi is moronic. I was attending a very liberal college when that piece of garbage came out and I went to see it with a large group of friends which included women and people of color. We all hated it. The movie sucks because of its blatant disrespect for the Star Wars mythology. In fact, the only movie I've seen with more disregard for its source material is Tristar's Godzilla. Also, it was poorly written, tediously paced and full of boring and forgettable characters; the same reasons you gave for why KOTM is a bad movie. I don't like The Force Awakens either but I'd rather have a derivative movie than one which sabotages character arcs and plot threads for the sake of sUbVeRtInG eXpEcTaTiOnS.

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:23 pm

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:More likely because it was poorly written and paced, with boring and forgettible characters. Also, the 40% score doesn't reflect the individual critic scores...

Also, The Last Jedi > A New Hope 2.0 but... ya know... Women and people of color!!! What a damn agenda! Goddamn SJW libtards!!


Wow, are we really arguing Star Wars on Toho Kingdom? Okay, skreeonk it...

Who said anything about women or people of color? Assuming only the alt-right hates The Last Jedi is moronic. I was attending a very liberal college when that piece of garbage came out and I went to see it with a large group of friends which included women and people of color. We all hated it. The movie sucks because of its blatant disrespect for the Star Wars mythology. In fact, the only movie I've seen with more disregard for its source material is Tristar's Godzilla. Also, it was poorly written, tediously paced and full of boring and forgettable characters; the same reasons you gave for why KOTM is a bad movie. I don't like The Force Awakens either but I'd rather have a derivative movie than one which sabotages character arcs and plot threads for the sake of sUbVeRtInG eXpEcTaTiOnS.


Oh, by no means am I sitting here saying that ANY of these new Star Wars movies are anything special. People came out raving about the Force Awakens, and I'm still trying to see why that movie is as good as they say, other than being a major step up to any of those three pieces of trash that Lucas made. But no, I'm just pointing out poop that people bitched and moaned about with The Last Jedi. As for the film itself, I'll take a film like that that introduces new angles and moves the story along, rather than just rehashing the same poop over and over again. I'm just annoyed of angry white boys crying every time we get something different on screen, which they did in with this movie.
Image

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11986
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:31 pm

KingKaiju wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:More likely because it was poorly written and paced, with boring and forgettible characters. Also, the 40% score doesn't reflect the individual critic scores...

Also, The Last Jedi > A New Hope 2.0 but... ya know... Women and people of color!!! What a damn agenda! Goddamn SJW libtards!!


Wow, are we really arguing Star Wars on Toho Kingdom? Okay, skreeonk it...

Who said anything about women or people of color? Assuming only the alt-right hates The Last Jedi is moronic. I was attending a very liberal college when that piece of garbage came out and I went to see it with a large group of friends which included women and people of color. We all hated it. The movie sucks because of its blatant disrespect for the Star Wars mythology. In fact, the only movie I've seen with more disregard for its source material is Tristar's Godzilla. Also, it was poorly written, tediously paced and full of boring and forgettable characters; the same reasons you gave for why KOTM is a bad movie. I don't like The Force Awakens either but I'd rather have a derivative movie than one which sabotages character arcs and plot threads for the sake of sUbVeRtInG eXpEcTaTiOnS.


Oh, by no means am I sitting here saying that ANY of these new Star Wars movies are anything special. People came out raving about the Force Awakens, and I'm still trying to see why that movie is as good as they say, other than being a major step up to any of those three pieces of trash that Lucas made. But no, I'm just pointing out poop that people bitched and moaned about with The Last Jedi. As for the film itself, I'll take a film like that that introduces new angles and moves the story along, rather than just rehashing the same poop over and over again. I'm just annoyed of angry white boys crying every time we get something different on screen, which they did in with this movie.


The Disney films don't hold a candle to ROTS. Say what you want about episode 1 and II abut episode III is great.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:19 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Wow, are we really arguing Star Wars on Toho Kingdom? Okay, skreeonk it...

Who said anything about women or people of color? Assuming only the alt-right hates The Last Jedi is moronic. I was attending a very liberal college when that piece of garbage came out and I went to see it with a large group of friends which included women and people of color. We all hated it. The movie sucks because of its blatant disrespect for the Star Wars mythology. In fact, the only movie I've seen with more disregard for its source material is Tristar's Godzilla. Also, it was poorly written, tediously paced and full of boring and forgettable characters; the same reasons you gave for why KOTM is a bad movie. I don't like The Force Awakens either but I'd rather have a derivative movie than one which sabotages character arcs and plot threads for the sake of sUbVeRtInG eXpEcTaTiOnS.


Oh, by no means am I sitting here saying that ANY of these new Star Wars movies are anything special. People came out raving about the Force Awakens, and I'm still trying to see why that movie is as good as they say, other than being a major step up to any of those three pieces of trash that Lucas made. But no, I'm just pointing out poop that people bitched and moaned about with The Last Jedi. As for the film itself, I'll take a film like that that introduces new angles and moves the story along, rather than just rehashing the same poop over and over again. I'm just annoyed of angry white boys crying every time we get something different on screen, which they did in with this movie.


The Disney films don't hold a candle to ROTS. Say what you want about episode 1 and II abut episode III is great.


Episode 3 was only good in comparison to the other prequels. It still sucks. But hey, at least it produced some funny memes.
Image

User avatar
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan
Posts: 5845
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am
Location: AWACS Long Caster
Contact:

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Chrispy_G wrote:What weird SJW agenda did KOTM try to push? Heck, film critics and bloggers probably winced at the "toxic masculinity" implied by the title "King of the Monsters"

Vera Farmiga was portrayed as a complex villain and wasn't the savior of humanity

Kyle Chandler, a straight white male(film critic equivalent of Satan incarnate) was portrayed in a general positive and heroic light.

It is all about bending the knee to cringey SJW politics.

Funny you say that. Last I checked, Trump supporters thought KOTM was leftist propaganda.
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.


#Pro-Choice


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests