Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Official News topic

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:50 am

KManX89 wrote:The Aurora theater where the infamous James Holmes TDKR shooting occurred won't show Joker.

Oh and it gets worse: parents of the shooting victims issued a letter blaming WB for inciting violence with the movie. So now we have people telling us grown ass men what we can and can't watch, great.

Look, I get it, they're sensitive to movies that feature mass murderers because of what happened, but blaming violent movies and video games for causing violence (I'm looking at you, Donnie Dumb Dumb) is exactly why this issue will not be remedied, and it's already been proven they DO NOT cause violence.

Phoenix said it best in his response, it's not the filmmaker's job to teach morality. They're there to tell stories, nothing more, nothing less. If movies (which are works of FICTION, last I checked) were meant to illustrate moral lessons, then they couldn't show people cheating on their spouses, people cheating on their taxes, teachers having inappropriate relations with students (there actually WAS a movie about a female teacher having a relationship with an underaged boy IIRC, where was the outrage by the moral police then, huh?), people running red lights, people jaywalking, the list goes on.

I have my boundaries when it comes to movies, I don't like gross-out/torture porn movies; movies that are gross just for the sake of grossing out (Hostel, Human Centipede, Captivity, etc.), but even I don't go around pretending like THC encourages doctors to perform sick medical experiments or Hostel encourages sick death games, and these plot points literally serve NO other purpose than to be nauseating.


I respect the theaters choice not to show Joker as it could be seen as disrespectful to people who were killed by a man dressed as Joker in a Batman related screening, and I understand the families of the victims are upset, but this shooter could have dressed as priest and said the Bible told him to do it, no one would blame the Bible, they'd just say (rightfully so) the shooter was skreeonking nuts. Blaming WB is where I disagree with them.
Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Official News topic

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:04 pm

I wouldn't even say he was "dressed as the Joker", that was false news reporting. The dude had his hair dyed orange because he lost his mind. He wasn't dressed in purple, nor did he have the joker make-up. So for example, if some dude shot up a theater screening The Dark Knight, except he wore a BDSM latex suit, would that mean he was "dressed as Batman"?

If I lived in Aurora I'd be absolutely livid that some folk I've never even met are going to stop me, friends, family, and fans of the genre from seeing a film we've been looking forward to. It's selfish, might as well ban all Superhero flicks that don't consist of cheesy one liners and lasers.

Now on the flip side of course you have to respect the people who passed away, but I guarantee most of the people who experienced it, likely don't go to theaters anymore anyway. So why take away other peoples enjoyment because of a tragic event? That's just what the Terrorists would want.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Official News topic

Postby Terasawa » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:18 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:If I lived in Aurora I'd be absolutely livid that some folk I've never even met are going to stop me, friends, family, and fans of the genre from seeing a film we've been looking forward to.


It's one theater (where the tragedy occurred), not the entire city.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Official News topic

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:If I lived in Aurora I'd be absolutely livid that some folk I've never even met are going to stop me, friends, family, and fans of the genre from seeing a film we've been looking forward to.


It's one theater (where the tragedy occurred), not the entire city.

Ahh gotcha that makes more sense.

It begs the question though, will this be for all glorified villain/ batman films going forward at that theater? I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it still seems a bit restrictive.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6567
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Official News topic

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:34 pm

I don’t see why this is a big issue or something that needs to be discussed. If someone in that town really wants to see the Joker movie, I’m sure there’s more theaters.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan
Posts: 5846
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am
Location: AWACS Long Caster
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:42 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:If I lived in Aurora I'd be absolutely livid that some folk I've never even met are going to stop me, friends, family, and fans of the genre from seeing a film we've been looking forward to.


It's one theater (where the tragedy occurred), not the entire city.

Ahh gotcha that makes more sense.

It begs the question though, will this be for all glorified villain/ batman films going forward at that theater? I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it still seems a bit restrictive.

This is like the first time they decided to not show a movie in over 7 years. It's not like they refused to show movies like Suicide Squad in the past. People are making Kilamenjaro's out of molehills.
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.


#Pro-Choice

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Official News topic

Postby Terasawa » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:58 pm

YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Official News topic

Postby KManX89 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
KManX89 wrote:The Aurora theater where the infamous James Holmes TDKR shooting occurred won't show Joker.

Oh and it gets worse: parents of the shooting victims issued a letter blaming WB for inciting violence with the movie. So now we have people telling us grown ass men what we can and can't watch, great.

Look, I get it, they're sensitive to movies that feature mass murderers because of what happened, but blaming violent movies and video games for causing violence (I'm looking at you, Donnie Dumb Dumb) is exactly why this issue will not be remedied, and it's already been proven they DO NOT cause violence.

Phoenix said it best in his response, it's not the filmmaker's job to teach morality. They're there to tell stories, nothing more, nothing less. If movies (which are works of FICTION, last I checked) were meant to illustrate moral lessons, then they couldn't show people cheating on their spouses, people cheating on their taxes, teachers having inappropriate relations with students (there actually WAS a movie about a female teacher having a relationship with an underaged boy IIRC, where was the outrage by the moral police then, huh?), people running red lights, people jaywalking, the list goes on.

I have my boundaries when it comes to movies, I don't like gross-out/torture porn movies; movies that are gross just for the sake of grossing out (Hostel, Human Centipede, Captivity, etc.), but even I don't go around pretending like THC encourages doctors to perform sick medical experiments or Hostel encourages sick death games, and these plot points literally serve NO other purpose than to be nauseating.


I respect the theaters choice not to show Joker as it could be seen as disrespectful to people who were killed by a man dressed as Joker in a Batman related screening, and I understand the families of the victims are upset, but this shooter could have dressed as priest and said the Bible told him to do it, no one would blame the Bible, they'd just say (rightfully so) the shooter was skreeonking nuts. Blaming WB is where I disagree with them.


Not surprised, the Slender Man movie didn't play in theaters near where that stabbing happened in Wisconsin. They also cut the "gritty" bits of the film in post, which left the film structured very poorly and not making sense and also being boring.

Just be thankful Joker isn't gonna be a neutered, incoherent mess of a film as a result of the outcry like it was for Slender Man, though I still don't agree with (some of) the victim's parents asking for the film to be banned, blaming it for encouraging violence (and at least one of the victim's families did according to the TMZ article I posted). This idea that violent games/movies cause violence is complete bullshit, I've played Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat and GTA3 when I was in 7th grade and below and I grew up on Romero and the Terminator films, and I never once felt the need to shoot up schools or facilities and there's millions of others at the same or even YOUNGER age who've played M-rated games (you have tons of kids online in CoD who have their parents buy it for them every year despite the fact that it's an M-rated game FFS) without any trouble.

The only people who would ever commit violence after playing violent games or watching violent movies/TV shows are either: A)stupid and don't know the difference between fantasy and reality or B)already psychotic. It's like not letting anyone at all drive because SOME people out of billions are idiots and kill/injure others while DUI.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14196
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Media doesn't cause violence but individuals can absolutely be persuaded by it and those who cause mass shootings and stuff are usually the type of people who look to media to understand how to live their lives and what not.

I think the decision to not show the movie at the theater the Aurora shooting took place is a good idea. Doing so would almost certainly invite a copycat into the midst and I can understand theater staff and patrons not wanting to be reminded of that event. And like...there's other theaters in the area. It's not a big deal for anyone in town who wants to see the film.

Anyone who thinks this is a selfish act or anything is a fool.
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Official News topic

Postby LegendZilla » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:55 pm



They say Mike Pence is even worse...
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Official News topic

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Aquaman just gave a moving speech about climate change at the UN.

Real Hero.

Kinda similar to RDJ becoming the real Stark with his new tech company. (except that is obviously not as important)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Breakdown
Kwaidan
Posts: 5865
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: Inside you

Re: Official News topic

Postby Breakdown » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:41 am

LegendZilla wrote:


They say Mike Pence is even worse...

Pence is a borderline fundementalist who believes in conversion therapy. He'd be just as bad if not worse than Trump.
ImageBaby free at last! Thank Megatron I'm free at last!

User avatar
kingkevzilla88
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:15 am
Location: scotland
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:38 am


User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6567
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Official News topic

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:26 am


More reliable source:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... te-people/

But yeah, goes without saying this is completely ridiculous. It’s also crazy, because unless I am misunderstanding something, the organization that is starting this event, claims to be supportive of gay and trans people (skreeonk the white gays and trans people amirite?).

I think the intent, might be, to prevent trolls from coming inside, and annoying people with questions and taking up valuable time (but hey, why not answer the questions) and also give a community, but it’s still ridiculous.

An err of caution though. While obviously this is messed up, and horrible, it does not mean that racism, isn’t still a serious issue, or “anti-racist” people are like this. I think it’s too easy to get attached or see articles like these online and get a warped sense of how people operate in real life.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Official News topic

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:33 am

Elon Musk's new Starship is such a massive feat for our future and one step closer to getting us to our Sci-Fi-esque goals!

That man is a genius.

Added in 3 hours 6 seconds:
De'Niro is such a G lol. You guys heard his CNN interview? He keeps it real.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:28 am
Location: Vague SF Bay Area

Re: Official News topic

Postby Fish Cakes » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:44 pm


I fully support this. It's important for marginalized communities to have spaces to speak and be heard with their voices as the sole focus. Intersectionality and whatnot. White people aren't banned from attending or listening, just from speaking.

Really, this is just them being open and honest about "we're not calling on the white people in the audience for the questions". Other groups avoid POC all the time in similar situations, why be upset by people being real?
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Official News topic

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:25 am


User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Official News topic

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:29 am



Those big lizards keep surprising us, it was only a few years ago it was discovered that they had venom along with their germy saliva.
Image

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4805
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Official News topic

Postby G2000 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:07 am

Last edited by G2000 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Official News topic

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:44 am

Living Corpse wrote:


Those big lizards keep surprising us, it was only a few years ago it was discovered that they had venom along with their germy saliva.


And they've been on this Earth for a long time. They really make their mosasaur ancestors proud. :D


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ROMG4 and 1 guest