Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Post by Chrispy_G »

It is 2019, critics aren't critics....they are completely ideology based. If a film checks "Woke Box XYZ" then it gets good reviews, and if a film doesn't then they hate it. If it is "problematic" they hate it. If it doesn't have some kind of political agenda that they favor, they hate it.

It is why there is such a huge disconnect between things like the critic ratings for Chappelle's latest Netflix special vs the audience score.

RottenTomatoes hasn't had any real value in a long time. When the "critics" are singing the praises of The Last Jedi, a franchise killer, that is about all you need to see.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Nope. Pretty much everything the 'critics' complained about has been mostly glossed over or completely ignored on other, inferior movies that were given a higher score. Quality isn't really a criteria anymore...its simply a popularity contest, and most of the reviewers don't seem to be fans of the genre.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

So if they were “fans of the genre” would they give the movie a pass for its glaring flaws?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Chrispy_G wrote:It is 2019, critics aren't critics....they are completely ideology based. If a film checks "Woke Box XYZ" then it gets good reviews, and if a film doesn't then they hate it. If it is "problematic" they hate it. If it doesn't have some kind of political agenda that they favor, they hate it.

It is why there is such a huge disconnect between things like the critic ratings for Chappelle's latest Netflix special vs the audience score.

RottenTomatoes hasn't had any real value in a long time. When the "critics" are singing the praises of The Last Jedi, a franchise killer, that is about all you need to see.
Please, "the critics only like art house and oscar bait films, and hate movies made for the masses" isn't a new thing. Critics are suppose to look at films critically.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

On one hand, as much as I adore the movie, I can see how some flaws hold it back. It’s fanservice for Kaiju fans, but I can see how non fans would react too.

That being said, i don’t think the score should have been as low as it was. There are WAY worse movies that have higher percentages, so it baffles me how this movie got so low when it should have at least landed in the 60% range, looking at it critically.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Terasawa wrote:So if they were “fans of the genre” would they give the movie a pass for its glaring flaws?
Not saying it was perfect, just that these "glaring flaws" you say it has don't seem to bring the score of other movies down. Hokey writing and a few flat jokes, which seem to be most peoples common complaints about KoTM, didn't stop any of those critics from worshipping something like Black Panther, for example.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I didn’t realize there could only be one bad Godzilla movie.

You should probably stop trying with all these memes, you’re clearly not very good at it.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Chrispy_G wrote:If a film checks "Woke Box XYZ" then it gets good reviews, and if a film doesn't then they hate it. If it is "problematic" they hate it. If it doesn't have some kind of political agenda that they favor, they hate it.
Then why didn't Kotm get good reviews? The mental gymnastics that people go through to avoid considering the idea that there may, in fact, be people out who didn't think this movie was that good for no other reason than it just didn't work for them is staggering.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

What weird SJW agenda did KOTM try to push? Heck, film critics and bloggers probably winced at the "toxic masculinity" implied by the title "King of the Monsters"

Vera Farmiga was portrayed as a complex villain and wasn't the savior of humanity

Kyle Chandler, a straight white male(film critic equivalent of Satan incarnate) was portrayed in a general positive and heroic light.

The Last Jedi - Positive critic reviews. Captain Marvel - Positive critic reviews. Ad Astra - Positive Critic reviews

Dave Chappelle's "Sticks and Stones" - slammed
Amy Schumer's "leather special" - praised

It is all about bending the knee to cringey SJW politics.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Dammit, what a time to not have any popcorn. :(
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Chrispy_G wrote:What weird SJW agenda did KOTM try to push? Heck, film critics and bloggers probably winced at the "toxic masculinity" implied by the title "King of the Monsters"

Vera Farmiga was portrayed as a complex villain and wasn't the savior of humanity

Kyle Chandler, a straight white male(film critic equivalent of Satan incarnate) was portrayed in a general positive and heroic light.

The Last Jedi - Positive critic reviews. Captain Marvel - Positive critic reviews. Ad Astra - Positive Critic reviews

Dave Chappelle's "Sticks and Stones" - slammed
Amy Schumer's "leather special" - praised

It is all about bending the knee to cringey SJW politics.
To quote a character from a horrible film,”You gotta be fucking kidding me”.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Chrispy_G wrote:What weird SJW agenda did KOTM try to push? Heck, film critics and bloggers probably winced at the "toxic masculinity" implied by the title "King of the Monsters"
Climate change narrative, female minority in position of power, white guy villain (saying Vera was complex is like saying 2 + 2 is 5, which funnily is probably the same line of thinking that motivated her character, she's not a good villain at all) and a little girl saving the day are all things that would stain the "anti-SJW" crowd's pants yellow at the best of times were they a part of any other film, the sort of thing that spurs on an eye roll and "Oh yeah, gotta have that these days, right? All to get brownie points from critics". So going off that, the film should've fared well with critics if progressiveness is all they care about. And so far the only reasoning for such a shitty score is... there's a white guy that isn't bad. Are you sure you're not exagger-
Chrispy_G wrote: The Last Jedi - Positive critic reviews. Captain Marvel - Positive critic reviews. Ad Astra - Positive Critic reviews
Well shit. I should've read your entire post before responding. I didn't realize that you'd put so much research into this. I feel like such a fool. I mean... there's really no other explanation for it, is there? You've blown this wide open.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Those SJW Boogymen are out to ruin everything, if there was only someway to hunt them down and blacklist them.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

szmigiel wrote:Those SJW Boogymen are out to ruin everything, if there was only someway to hunt them down and blacklist them.
I mean they tend to blacklist people all the time.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

What Hollywood talent was blacklisted that didn’t deserve it?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

For example, Kevin Hart was removed from hosting the 2019 Oscars because of a gay joke he made ten years ago.

Everyone has to walk on eggshells when those types are around. They throw around "Nazi" and "Rape" like they're casual words, to be honest that has to be a terrible way to live, always finding something new to be mad at.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

_JNavs_ wrote:For example, Kevin Hart was removed from hosting the 2019 Oscars because of a gay joke he made ten years ago.
Hart stepped down on his own accord. The Oscar ceremony was also way more tolerable without a host but that's not really relevant to the discussion.
_JNavs_ wrote:to be honest that has to be a terrible way to live, always finding something new to be mad at.
Pot meet kettle.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:For example, Kevin Hart was removed from hosting the 2019 Oscars because of a gay joke he made ten years ago.
Hart stepped down on his own accord. The Oscar ceremony was also way more tolerable without a host but that's not really relevant to the discussion.
_JNavs_ wrote:to be honest that has to be a terrible way to live, always finding something new to be mad at.
Pot meet kettle.
It is, because it was that group who began the accusations.

And what? Pot meet Kettle? I'm not the one constantly mad at every new comment on the forum for no reason :lol:.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

_JNavs_ wrote: It is, because it was that group who began the accusations.
Hart was given the choice to return to hosting if he so desired. He's also starring in a few upcoming movies so...he's clearly not blacklisted.

I'm not even sure you know what the term "blacklisted" even means, to be honest.
_JNavs_ wrote: And what? Pot meet Kettle? I'm not the one constantly mad at every new comment on the forum for no reason :lol:.
You called victims of a mass shooting "selfish" for choosing not to show a new movie that would incite a copycat incident and threw a shitfit in the MCU thread over Spider-Man returning to the franchise. You have no room to say that people are always finding something new to be mad about.