Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by Terasawa »

^ Those old releases were licensed through Chaiyo (so, essentially unlicensed) and used less than stellar transfers. All series shot on film should now come from TPC’s best masters. I think most of the series have HD masters.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Oh? Well then, I just might pick up the Ultraman set too, I'd love a better transfer than what I have.

How good is Seven? Would you say it's better than Ultraman in terms of kaiju and fights? Haven't seen any Ultra series outside of Q and the original.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I prefer the original. Seven has darker stories, some of them painting a pessimistic portrait of 20th century man, so it’s much more dramatically heavy than either previous Ultra show. But coupled with that you still have a guy in a latex costume battling weird looking aliens. It never really clicked for me but I do enjoy it. Ultraman is more fun.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm looking forward to a decent copy of Ultraman the Next. The DVD I got has horrendous subtitles.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:The only thing that concerns me is the sheer speed at which they're pushing these out. Someone in one of the Discord servers I'm in mentioned the possibility of the subs suffering and/or being taken from fansubs, as has happened with Gridman and other shows on Toku.
In fairness, very few of the Ultraman shows were actually subbed by fans (Fansubbers tend to have disdain for Ultraman, for some stupid reason). The only ones that were subbed by fans are Heisei Seven , Ultraman Dyna (Which also had a HK DVD release with subs that came out at practically the same time), Ultraman Neos (Which later got added on Toku, where I'm not sure if the subs are the same or not), Nexus, Max, Mebius, Seven X, Ginga (All of which were late added to Crunchyroll and/or Toku), Orb Origin and R/B. The rest have had subs either through legit streaming platforms or through Chaiyo-licensed releases (Like the Malay sets for the 70s shows). That said, there is good reason to be a little concerned about the rushed nature of the subs (The subs on Toku are quite sloppy). What I've seen of the subs on Ultra Q do at least seem to be an improvement over the subs on the Shout! DVD (They actually use "Gomess" instead of "Gomesu", for starters), but we'll see how the rest fare.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

So it looks like Seven, Orb, and Geed are up for pre-order.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Komenja wrote:So it looks like Seven, Orb, and Geed are up for pre-order.
I finished Orb recently, that is an awesome show and proof that you can make a childrens show fun for adults and not mind numbingly dumb

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I wonder if this will include the new anime show on Netflix. Just something I thought of today.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Just like the first wave, Seven, Orb and Geed are now down to $21.72 on Amazon. Get those pre-orders in while they last!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Cookson wrote:I wonder if this will include the new anime show on Netflix. Just something I thought of today.
I wouldn't be surprised if the anime comes out on disc at some point -- Netflix series usually do -- but I somewhat doubt it's part of this deal.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Xenofauna
Yojimbo

Post by Xenofauna »

Orichalcum wrote:How good is Seven? Would you say it's better than Ultraman in terms of kaiju and fights? Haven't seen any Ultra series outside of Q and the original.
At it's best, Seven is definitive Tsuburaya and legitimately incredible. At it's worst, it's the Ultra Hawks listlessly chasing a UFO around a soundstage and pretty underwhelming. Definitely watch it for the former stories though. Seriously.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

Both my pre-orders of Ultra Q and Ultraman has had their shipping upgraded to release date delivery. These blu rays can’t come soon enough!

Added in 1 day 4 hours 39 minutes 38 seconds:
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2019 ... next-week/
:terrestris:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

So at this point it’s probably safe to assume these are going to be Japanese only.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'm so tempted to blind buy these, just to get on board the train
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Im actually looking forward to the ultra seven release, the plot sounds promising.

I will be getting geed and orb aswell, though I have reservations seeming from the clips ive seen they are more aimed at selling toys, but we shall see

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Disregard.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

https://youtu.be/sTkl4Sn0w44
Regular editions are not stacked, features individual trays for the discs. Steel discs are stacked though.
:terrestris:

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Why do they have to stack the discs in the steelbook? Hate when they do that.... looking more and more like I should have just gone with the standards lol
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cookson wrote:Why do they have to stack the discs in the steelbook? Hate when they do that.... looking more and more like I should have just gone with the standards lol
The steelbooks are all one universal size so they have to stack the discs to keep the shape.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Cookson wrote:Why do they have to stack the discs in the steelbook? Hate when they do that.... looking more and more like I should have just gone with the standards lol
The steelbooks are all one universal size so they have to stack the discs to keep the shape.
I mean. I've seen Steelbooks with up to 4 discs not stacked. The John Wick double pack has both on BD and 4K. So 4 discs for 2 films. Inside cover has a disc, middle 'double sided tray' has a disc on each side, and then the inside back cover has a disc.

In theory, you could get up to 6 discs in a set like that by 'tiering' the inside front and inside back case(Take a look at Marvel Steelbooks, they "layer" or tier the inside back cover to have the BD and 4K disc in there, not stacked right on top of one another)

So they could get away with 6 discs comfortably without doing the 'direct stacking'.

If I pick these up I will PROBABLY go with the regular sets, because they have the sort of 'double thick' Blu Ray cases that I love so much, they are much sturdier and stand up on a shelf much better than a single BD case or a Steelbook.

Being cheaper is just a bonus on top of all of that.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."