Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Dracosaurian »

I personally don't see Godzilla eating another creature demystifying him, but that's just me.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

On the one hand having him actually eat opens a whole can of worms about how much nutrition Godzilla needs to survive
On the other hand it could make for some really neat imagery if done right. Personally I enjoy the idea of a Godzilla that can walk the line between godlike regality and animalistic savagery
And like everything else it can be handwaved away
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

G2000 wrote:On the one hand having him actually eat opens a whole can of worms about how much nutrition Godzilla needs to survive
On the other hand it could make for some really neat imagery if done right. Personally I enjoy the idea of a Godzilla that can walk the line between godlike regality and animalistic savagery
Exactly.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't have any interest in turning Godzilla into a carnivore. It would and does work for plenty of other kaiju, just not him. He is this strange, godlike figure that just... exists. Maybe he needs nuclear sustenance, depending on the incarnation, but mostly he is beyond basic biological functions. That, and... I dunno, it'd just seem weird and out of place, now, after all these years.

Although... much as we like to forget it, there was that one incarnation of Godzilla that ate fish... so there is a hated, looked-down-upon precedent for a carnivorous Godzilla...

On a related note, I almost really disliked the ending of KOTM. I thought for a minute that Godzilla was going to eat Ghidorah's last head, and that just wouldn't have sat well with me.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote:I don't have any interest in turning Godzilla into a carnivore. It would and does work for plenty of other kaiju, just not him. He is this strange, godlike figure that just... exists. Maybe he needs nuclear sustenance, depending on the incarnation, but mostly he is beyond basic biological functions. That, and... I dunno, it'd just seem weird and out of place, now, after all these years.
Yeah you sum up my thoughts rather nicely.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

JAGzilla wrote: On a related note, I almost really disliked the ending of KOTM. I thought for a minute that Godzilla was going to eat Ghidorah's last head, and that just wouldn't have sat well with me.
He sort of did though, he charred the last head to little bits and swallowed whatever was left (judging by the gulp sound) to presumably digest him continuously and prevent his regeneration. A cruel and unusual fate that Ghiddy rightfully deserves.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

G2000 wrote:On the one hand having him actually eat opens a whole can of worms about how much nutrition Godzilla needs to survive
Agreed. You can still have a "godly" Godzilla who can occasionally go "Hmm. I'm hungry. That whale, squid or lesser monster looks tasty." Plus the MV Godzilla has already been stated to be a predator and iirc, Dougherty stated that he'll eat other monsters.

The way I see it, it just comes down to preference. If you prefer Godzilla feeding on other creatures from time to time that's fine, but if you don't that's also fine.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I honestly wouldn't mind/not care if a film showed a brief scene of Godzilla using those teeth of his to actually feed on something, whether that be a large whale, giant squid, Kaiju fodder etc. It doesn't take away from Godzilla's, "mystic", or unnatural nature to me in any way. If Godzilla ever looked towards a whale as a prey item and pursued it, I would simply state, "huh, Godzilla just ate something", and not give it a second thought. As someone else above stated, having him walk the line of this godlike and unnatural entity, to animalistic and brutal savagery is cool. Even if it's not even for Godzilla to gain any real sustenance, but simply to show dominance by eating a lesser monster, is something I personally wouldn't mind and don't see an issue with.

#BotM

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

Post by Ultimategodzilla2054 »

I've never seen Godzilla vs Megalon. to this day, it's the only godzilla film I've never been able to watch.
You fool, I'm no mere super godzilla. I'm a godzilla that has ascended past that form
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Ultimategodzilla2054 wrote:I've never seen Godzilla vs Megalon. to this day, it's the only godzilla film I've never been able to watch.
It’s on Comet TV this Sunday at 12 noon ET/PT (11 am CT, 1 pm MT) and you can watch it free online.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla vs. Megalon is my favorite so bad it's good films. It doesn't overstay it's welcome, or ridicule the viewer. It does have some brief good scenes and concepts, and the ending fight is fun. It's a bad movie, but it's still worth watching.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It’s a bad movie in how stupid it is but I think it succeeds in its goal of being an inexpensive big screen version of the stereotypical Japanese hero series with Godzilla characters.

Megalon is one of the few pure camp Godzilla movies. You’re supposed to laugh at it; I refuse to believe Nakano’s crew shot the majority of the FX footage with anything but camp in mind. Now, I can understand why some fans probably wouldn’t like that but I think it’s great fun when you accept it for what it is.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I want to see a fight between Godzilla (1964), Jirass, and Gomess. I don't care what medium, I just want to see these three go at it and tear each other apart.

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

Post by Ultimategodzilla2054 »

Terasawa wrote:
Ultimategodzilla2054 wrote:I've never seen Godzilla vs Megalon. to this day, it's the only godzilla film I've never been able to watch.
It’s on Comet TV this Sunday at 12 noon ET/PT (11 am CT, 1 pm MT) and you can watch it free online.
I could do that, or I could wait for the the Showa era collection so I can watch all the films in Criterion level quality.
You fool, I'm no mere super godzilla. I'm a godzilla that has ascended past that form
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Comet licenses the Godzilla films from Janus (Criterion's parent company) so the transfer should be the same as the upcoming Blu-ray.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I want to see a fight between Godzilla (1964), Jirass, and Gomess. I don't care what medium, I just want to see these three go at it and tear each other apart.
A brave confession. I'll try not to judge you.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

eabaker wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I want to see a fight between Godzilla (1964), Jirass, and Gomess. I don't care what medium, I just want to see these three go at it and tear each other apart.
A brave confession. I'll try not to judge you.
What's so bad about it? :lol:

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

....I need to have you over. We'll watch it back to back with Hedorah. High.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

godzilla's revenge is the only godzilla movie i havent watched, ive had it for while and i am aware of its reputation.

I also havent watched most of the gamera films despite having a complete set, ive seen the first movie, barugon, gyaos, viras, the gamera trilogy and gamera the brave, mostly cause I cant stand the kids in these movies, It could be a good endurance test to watch all the showa gamera movies in one sitting

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

realinvaderdesign wrote:godzilla's revenge is the only godzilla movie i havent watched, ive had it for while and i am aware of its reputation.
Ah, but are you aware that it actually has several fans? I'd argue that, while the stock footage is a little excessive, it's actually a very enjoyable and unique entry in the franchise. Give it a shot, you might be glad you did.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio