Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Many organisms have lived on Godzilla, but it's clear they suffer horrible side effects.

The Trilobite in 1954 was incredibly irradiated.

The Shockirus in 1984 were sea louses that fed off Godzilla's energy and DNA and mutated.

One of my favorite minor things in the IDW comics was the Strange Bird from Godzilla Legends 5.
Actually, it's "lice", not "louses".

All of this reminds me of something that I saw in Dark Horse Comics #11 a long time ago. A gull that's standing on one of Godzilla's back plates while he's unconscious in the ocean over the slab gets killed in a brief flash of blue glowing radiation before he awakens.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I always remember Godzilla 1954 has ears, but I almost always forget he has very pronounced fangs.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In the Italian poster, those fangs are quite prominent.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Matango Taste
Ronin

Post by Matango Taste »

I never understood why Toho was so anal about Godzilla having four fingers

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Matango Taste wrote:I never understood why Toho was so anal about Godzilla having four fingers
Does anyone? Far as we're concerned that policy could be long gone by now. It was last in full affect back in the Heisei era,so maybe the new WOG series can give us one with three or five fingers.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Matango Taste
Ronin

Post by Matango Taste »

The repercussions of a five fingered Godzilla would be really creepy

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

...I never noticed Godzilla had four fingers...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:...I never noticed Godzilla had four fingers...
GAAAASP AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A FA-nah i'm kidding :P I honestly didn't know either until someone pointed out to me last year.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

tyrantgoji wrote:
GAAAASP AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A FA-nah i'm kidding :P I honestly didn't know either until someone pointed out to me last year.
It's definitely one of those things that you just never notice because no one points it out. I know there's like Godzilla's with 3 and four toes though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Matango Taste
Ronin

Post by Matango Taste »

When making the stipulations of Godzilla's design in 1998, Toho said Godzilla absolutely had to have four fingers

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

If I had to come up with some BS reason for that, maybe it's because they were trying to stray away from the more Humanoid Godzillas from the 70's. Having five fingers, is actually a very unique trait to humans and primates at large. Maybe they felt it would make him too human?...

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

I think Ultraman's face is very familiar but Idk why?
I heard that Ultraman is based on Buddhist statues? Is this true?
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I prefer Godzilla with fangs.

Probably because I see him as this absolute beast, like the apex predator.

Has Godzilla ever shown his inner carnivore and eat meat in a G flick before? (Not like a bite in a fight)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

_JNavs_ wrote:I prefer Godzilla with fangs.

Has Godzilla ever shown his inner carnivore and eat meat in a G flick before? (Not like a bite in a fight)
Not to my knowledge

Originally in his first appearance in 1954 he was supposed to be chomping down on a cow but that was discarded for reasons of scale. Similarly in the first draft of vs. Biollante he was supposed to kill and eat a giant rat-thing named Deutalios but that entire bit was written out and replaced

IIRC there's a throwaway line about Junior eating whales in vs. Destoroyah,

Aside from that not that I can recall, Toho doesn't really like that sort of thing for some reason (IIRC Matt Frank wanted to draw Godzilla eating a whale in Rulers of Earth but Toho came down and said no)
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

G2000 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I prefer Godzilla with fangs.

Not to my knowledge

Originally in his first appearance in 1954 he was supposed to be chomping down on a cow but that was discarded for reasons of scale. Similarly in the first draft of vs. Biollante he was supposed to kill and eat a giant rat-thing named Deutalios but that entire bit was written out and replaced

IIRC there's a throwaway line about Junior eating whales in vs. Destoroyah,

Aside from that not that I can recall, Toho doesn't really like that sort of thing for some reason (IIRC Matt Frank wanted to draw Godzilla eating a whale in Rulers of Earth but Toho came down and said no)
Huh, I'd love to see it eventually. I know he took a bite outta Kamoebas' neck in SOS but that didn't really look like a "I'm hungry" bite lol.
Didn't Baragon eat a horse back in FCTW? I wonder why they wouldn't let their most feared/respected kaiju, eat flesh.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gaira eats humans, although never directly on screen. It seems to be reserved for the villainous monsters.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Terasawa wrote:Gaira eats humans, although never directly on screen. It seems to be reserved for the villainous monsters.
He does stuff that one chick into his mouth at the airport, though for obvious reasons it's obscured
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

_JNavs_ wrote: I wonder why they wouldn't let their most feared/respected kaiju, eat flesh.
Personally, eating flesh demystifies Godzilla. He's always been presented as this nigh godly being so him doing something as basic as hunting and eating just doesn't work for me.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I wonder why they wouldn't let their most feared/respected kaiju, eat flesh.
Personally, eating flesh demystifies Godzilla. He's always been presented as this nigh godly being so him doing something as basic as hunting and eating just doesn't work for me.
Yeah that's fair, I can agree with that, it really depends on the incarnation.

Like MV G or Heisei G? I could totally see devouring kaiju, like carnivores, but Late Showa G and Shin? I don't know which would be freakier to watch feasting on raw meat.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:Probably because I see him as this absolute beast, like the apex predator.
Ugh.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Yeah. He's supposed to be some otherwordly thing, an abomination that should not exist. Making him feed off physical things, weakens the character. I have a feeling that's why he has never been shown to eat things, and I think that's why they cut the cow scene. Most incarnations, post late showa, imply Godzilla doesn't actually eat or need to, he just exists by absorbing radiation.

Also worth noting, that Japan lacks any actual real source for Godzilla or other Kaiju to get food on land other then humans.

While we are on the subject though:
Baby Godzilla's, Minya and Junior, have historically been shown to eat fruit, and things like trees. I like to believe that pre transformation/mutation, the Godzilla family/species is purely herbivorous.

Rodan is shown to eat Meganulon, Dolphins, and I believe, depending on how you interpret it, people.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.