Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by GuardianGhido »

Ultraman02 wrote:I dislike the Anime Godzillas design.
I get that it invokes the feeling of an old wise man + a really old tree but it just seems so... boring. I hate the head and neck specifically.
Anime Ghidorah is worse in every way though (Lazy Servum recolour).
Yeah the Anime trilogy has the worst monster designs IMO. A fat CGI plant blob with a crunchy expressionless face, bland looking Godzilla bug things with spindly pincer mouths, a stupid looking alien city with a statue of Mechagodzilla's head erected in the middle, and glowy space noodles with jumper cables attached to the ends.

One of the reasons Ghidorah looks like the servum is that he's supposed to be a "super evolved Godzilla" or something. Why does everything have to look like Godzilla or his progeny?!
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

The more i see anime Godzilla's design and Monster Verse's Godzilla's designs the less i like them.

I don't like the square shaped face. The eyes you can barely see. The cobra neck. I think it's time to try something new again.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

When it comes to the three recent designs, the anime trilogy Godzilla is the weakest/blandest of the bunch. The Monsterverse and Shin have way more charisma, and Shin is one of my least favorite designs I might add.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

I think Anime Ghidorah was executed nicely, best part about the trilogy :shrug:
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Orichalcum wrote:I think Anime Ghidorah was executed nicely, best part about the trilogy :shrug:
He was executed nicely,but he sure didn't look as nice :lol: just a golden,spike filled Servum with no wings.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Meh. I personally found the anime Ghidorah to be all flash.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Anime Ghidorah was great, shame people didn't like it over nitpicks.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Anime Godzilla seems to have been designed to not appeal to me. I don't like most aspects of his appearance, his absurd size, his overpoweredness, his 'blindly kill everything because' personality, his sluggish movement, his beam-spammy fighting style, or the fact that he has a force field.

I don't have any objection to a plant-based Godzilla, but I feel like they didn't do much with that origin. They should commit next time and give us something closer to Biollante.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:Anime Godzilla seems to have been designed to not appeal to me. I don't like most aspects of his appearance, his absurd size, his overpoweredness, his 'blindly kill everything because' personality, his sluggish movement, his beam-spammy fighting style, or the fact that he has a force field.

I don't have any objection to a plant-based Godzilla, but I feel like they didn't do much with that origin. They should commit next time and give us something closer to Biollante.
And anime King Ghidorah...look I think Lovecraften horror can be done well in a Godzilla film, and it started off promising his his shadow eating people but it went downhill when he felt like a puppet instead of a mastermind worshiped by nut jobs. I feel they dropped the ball.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I like the Monsterverse and Anime Godzilla designs a lot.

I've always been a fan of fatter/bulkier Godzillas with smaller heads. It makes him look like an absolute power house.

It's why most of the 60's and 70's designs besides 62 don't appeal to me as much. Don't get me wrong, I like them, it's just that they're kinda nerdy in appearance with their thinner legs and bodies.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Eh,i prefer my Godzilla's being slim and speedy. Final Wars hit me almost perfectly on that note....then they had to give him that rat face :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

tyrantgoji wrote:Eh,i prefer my Godzilla's being slim and speedy. Final Wars hit me almost perfectly on that note....then they had to give him that rat face :lol:
I really like how we're polar opposites. It shows the range that Godzilla has as a character, and can please two completely different types of audiences.

For me, the slow and sluggish feel of the bulky Godzillas scream absolute power to me. Even when he moved faster in KOTM, Godzilla still felt like he had weight to him.

In general, fictional characters that are more about strength and power have always resonated with me more, rather than characters that are smaller and more agile.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

JAGzilla wrote:Anime Godzilla seems to have been designed to not appeal to me. I don't like most aspects of his appearance, his absurd size, his overpoweredness, his 'blindly kill everything because' personality, his sluggish movement, his beam-spammy fighting style, or the fact that he has a force field.

If they had done something like having moss and mushrooms covering some parts of his body, some vines hanging under his arms, and maybe some rose thorns alongside his dorsal plates probably would've made me be less hard on the design as I am now. Looking back at it, I feel they dropped the ball on Godzilla Earth's look.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:Eh,i prefer my Godzilla's being slim and speedy. Final Wars hit me almost perfectly on that note....then they had to give him that rat face :lol:
Yeah I'm surprised we haven't gotten slim Goji's like what we see in the Showa films more often.

Okay we've had bulky buff Godzilla, I wanna see slim jacked Godzilla. Those abs on Legendary and anime Goji would be more noticeable on a slim body than a bulked one.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
I really like how we're polar opposites. It shows the range that Godzilla has as a character, and can please two completely different types of audiences.

For me, the slow and sluggish feel of the bulky Godzillas scream absolute power to me. Even when he moved faster in KOTM, Godzilla still felt like he had weight to him.

In general, fictional characters that are more about strength and power have always resonated with me more, rather than characters that are smaller and more agile.
Aye,true proof that Big G is for everyone! ;)

I always imagine Ghidorah being the big bulky one,it fits his character. He destroys planets for a living,shouldn't a monster with that power just look like a giant brick wall? And it makes him and my vision of Godzilla polar opposites. One's Earth greatest warrior,a powerful monster yet also comes along with great speed and a body to prove it. His adversary is a being from another world,a massive bulky being that will stop at nothing until he gets what he wants:a planets destruction.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Honestly, instead of a totally plant Godzilla for AniGoji, I would have made something some concept arts of Behemoth or Hathi from the 2018 Mowgli movie, with plants and all that growing in him

Hell, maybe go all the crazy and make it so Godzilla carried an entire ecosystem on him, the entirety of the first movie happening, without the characters knowing, happening directly on Godzilla.

Now, that would have needed for Godzilla to be monstruously big, breaking into kilometers tall, so maybe It would have been excessive
Last edited by Manuelito Canelito on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

It'd be a Hollywood level mind fuck, that's for sure.

You could always do a Shin 5th form reveal shot at the end with the camera panning up his back to see a Godzilla ecosystem growing on his back :freak:
Last edited by Orichalcum on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ManuJM1997 wrote:Honestly, instead of a totally plant Godzilla for AniGoji, I would have made something some concept arts of Behemoth or Hathi from the 2018 Mowgli movie, with plants and all that growing in him

Hell, maybe go all the crazy and make it so Godzilla carried an entire ecosystem on him, the entirety of the first movie happening, without the characters knowing, happening directly on Godzilla.

Now, that would have needed for Godzilla to be monstruously big, breaking into kilometers tall, so maybe It would have been excessive
Sorry but i'm gonna have to disagree on him being that big. 300 is enough for any monster to have smaller trees grown on him.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

tyrantgoji wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:Honestly, instead of a totally plant Godzilla for AniGoji, I would have made something some concept arts of Behemoth or Hathi from the 2018 Mowgli movie, with plants and all that growing in him

Sorry but i'm gonna have to disagree on him being that big. 300 is enough for any monster to have smaller trees grown on him.

Yeah, small trees.

What I envisioned was an entire, self-contained and sufficient kaiju ecosystem growing on Earth's back. With Filius being the equivalent of a small flea or tick for scale.
Last edited by Manuelito Canelito on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:

Yeah, small trees.

What I envisioned was an entire, self-contained and sufficient kaiju ecosystem growing on Earth's back. With Filius being the equivalent of a small flea or tick for scale.
Making Godzilla himself that size is a bad idea since he'll need to move around a lot (What kind of Godzilla movie would have him move too slow or too little to notice?) and the ecosystem would be tossed around like soda in a can. Godzilla's uprights stature wouldn't help with staying on him either. I think something like that is better for a quadrupedal slow moving Kaiju like Methuselah instead. (I would have preferred if he was way bigger than Godzilla instead of slighly like shown, but also still subservient to him)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.