Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Gigantis »

Godzilla 2014 is absolute garbage.

The original film isn't my favorite either,but it still ranks pretty high.

Excluding the ending,Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is a dissapointing ending to the Heisei Era.

Honestly,if it was made,i probably wouldn't have enjoyed Jay De Bonts Godzilla movie. I read the plot it it's just not doing anything for me.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

tyrantgoji wrote:Godzilla 2014 is absolute garbage.
I do agree for the non-monster parts of the movie. Almost any part of the movie that didn't have Godzilla or the MUTOs in it was just an absolutely boring snoozefest only outdone (and completely eclipsed) by the Anime Trilogy in boredom. With the exception of Dr. Serizawa and Dr. Graham's moments discussing Godzilla, I liked those but they just weren't enough. Even the opening credits were far more enjoyable than watching the expressionless Mr Soldier Dude trying to reunite with his family. I know many people found the human parts boring too so it's not that unpopular an opinion, but I didn't even like the parts with Joe Brody in it and my thoughts on how boring it is were exaggerated, thinking it was the most boring human story of any Godzilla movie period until the Anime came out.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

The monster battles in Godzilla 2014 were handled far better than the ones we got in GKOTM in every way.

Both Kiryu movies were ass- although Tokyo: SoS had the better monster scenes.

Godzilla vs. Destroyah is a mediocre entry through and through.

The MonsterVerse is getting sloppier and sloppier with every entry.

I enjoy Raymond Burr’s King of the Monsters almost as much as I love Gojira, maybe even more so.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Orichalcum wrote:The monster battles in Godzilla 2014 were handled far better than the ones we got in GKOTM in every way.
Strong agreement on this one. There's a sense of urgency in each monster scene in '14, and the limited perspective we have on the early fights helps to build tension and anticipation, so the final battle provides a great sense of release when it arrives.
I enjoy Raymond Burr’s King of the Monsters almost as much as I love Gojira, maybe even more so.
Yeah, having grown up with that version, it will always have a very special place in my heart.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Orichalcum wrote:The monster battles in Godzilla 2014 were handled far better than the ones we got in GKOTM in every way.

The MonsterVerse is getting sloppier and sloppier with every entry.
Not exactly an unpopular opinion here though. Especially amongst the popular folk.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I personally still disagree with G14 having better monster battles. To me it just felt really drawn out and lame,you couldn't even see a good chunk of it!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

tyrantgoji wrote:I personally still disagree with G14 having better monster battles. To me it just felt really drawn out and lame,you couldn't even see a good chunk of it!
If you waited to see the movie on DVD maybe?

The film was clear as a whistle in the theater so judiging a movie by its shitty home video release is kinda messed up in my opinion.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Orichalcum wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I personally still disagree with G14 having better monster battles. To me it just felt really drawn out and lame,you couldn't even see a good chunk of it!
If you waited to see the movie on DVD maybe?

The film was clear as a whistle in the theater so judiging a movie by its shitty home video release is kinda messed up in my opinion.
Still get's annoying when you have to squint to find them tho. I honestly can't remember much about the theater experience because i was bored out of my mind :lol:

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

eabaker wrote:
Strong agreement on this one. There's a sense of urgency in each monster scene in '14, and the limited perspective we have on the early fights helps to build tension and anticipation, so the final battle provides a great sense of release when it arrives.
My thoughts exactly.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Orichalcum wrote: I enjoy Raymond Burr’s King of the Monsters almost as much as I love Gojira, maybe even more so.
Raymond Burr was such a nice guy, definitely one of my Top 10 Humans in Godzilla if I were to make such a list.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Ultraman02 wrote:
Orichalcum wrote: I enjoy Raymond Burr’s King of the Monsters almost as much as I love Gojira, maybe even more so.
Raymond Burr was such a nice guy, definitely one of my Top 10 Humans in Godzilla if I were to make such a list.
He definitely treats the material with a nice level of authenticity, that’s for sure.

Astronaut Glenn’s still my favorite though.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I loved the whole Monarch crew in KOTM. I definitely hope they return for more appearances in later MV movies (not at the expense of uninterrupted monster action though. When they start fighting, for Godzilla's sake don't cut away in 3 seconds, do it like K:SI did) Monarch as a whole is a cool concept to me, instead of a cool organization whose purpose is to defeat Godzilla and/or other monsters to save humans, we get a cool organization whose purpose is to help Godzilla and/or other monster defeat other evil monsters to save humans while also doing monster research. I like it all.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Eh, it’s not exactly limited to the MonsterVerse, The Godzilla Power Hour and Godzilla: The Series both ran with that concept.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GuardianGhido wrote:Wow, my mind is blown that there are people who don't enjoy the original
Just to clarify, I do absolutely enjoy the original. I don't full-on dislike any movie in this franchise. It's just not one of my all-time favorites, is all.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

JAGzilla wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Wow, my mind is blown that there are people who don't enjoy the original
Just to clarify, I do absolutely enjoy the original. I don't full-on dislike any movie in this franchise. It's just not one of my all-time favorites, is all.
Ah I see, still this has opened my mind somewhat that even the best movie in the franchise isn't for literally everyone.

Added in 45 seconds:
Orichalcum wrote:Eh, it’s not exactly limited to the MonsterVerse, The Godzilla Power Hour and Godzilla: The Series both ran with that concept.
Neither are part of the total "canon" of live action Godzilla movies though.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

JAGzilla wrote:
Same mentality as me.
I think some entries to the series don't feel/look as good as others but I wouldn't say ANY Godzilla movie is bad (Yes, even 98).
I feel like Godzilla movies are like James Bond movies, none of their entries is horrible in my eyes (At least for now).
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

GuardianGhido wrote:With the exception of Dr. Serizawa and Dr. Graham's moments discussing Godzilla, I liked those but they just weren't enough.
My unpopular opinion within this fandom is that these two "characters" are boring robots who exist solely to peddle exposition about Godzilla and have zero bearing on the plot of the film. There are redeeming qualities to G14's human storyline but these two most certainly ain't it. Does anyone like them for anything besides one of them being called Serizawa and liking Godzilla as much as they do?

I'm not sure what I'd consider the "most boring human story" but I think some of the Heisei and Millennium human stories are incredibly dull.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ Unpopular and true.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Terasawa wrote:^ Unpopular and true.
Shin Opinion directed by Smug Anno
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Fish Cakes wrote:
Terasawa wrote:^ Unpopular and true.
Shin Opinion directed by Smug Anno
Sorry next time I won’t post when we disagree on something, I don’t want my opinion to offend you.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.