General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Stump Feet »

The MCU kills off people all the time, for fucks sake my dude, do you actually watch these movies or just actively hate on them for lulz?
Spoiler:
In FFH, Mysterio gets shot and dies
And all we need are kaiju deaths really and last I checked, GOTG 2 had no problem showing the death of a big toothy monster
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

This has been fun as hell to read.

Re MCU killing folks: we not remember Yondu sending his arrow through like 15 people in GOTG? The Extremis people blowing up in Iron Man 3? Killmonger being stabbed? I dunno, man. Sure they're not dismembering people with chainsaws, but they don't seem to have some serious issue with showing people die.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

It’s a Gamera movie, we don’t even need that many human deaths to begin with besides maybe a human villain and the MCU has never shied away from showing bad guy deaths before so :shrug:

Besides that, they’ve shown monster deaths in plenty of their movies so Gamera dispatching an enemy is not a problem.

I guess folks are too jaded by the Heisei Gamera flicks to remember Gamera was a child friendly franchise to begin with lol
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Stump Feet wrote:It’s a Gamera movie, we don’t even need that many human deaths to begin with besides maybe a human villain and the MCU has never shied away from showing bad guy deaths before so :shrug:

Besides that, they’ve shown monster deaths in plenty of their movies so Gamera dispatching an enemy is not a problem.

I guess folks are too jaded by the Heisei Gamera flicks to remember Gamera was a child friendly franchise to begin with lol
Gamera: The Brave was targeted at children and Zedus ate people. So. It's doable for sure.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Oh, I know it’s doable, I was just saying it’s not even strictly required for a Gamera movie, look at Gamera vs. Gyaos when he splits the car in half with his beam leaving the humans totally intact.

Disney could do a lot with Gamera no matter what direction they take him in.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I'd rather Disney not get it's hands on another franchise just to hire some indie director who they can easily control to work on it.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I'd rather Disney not get it's hands on another franchise just to hire some indie director who they can easily control to work on it.
This. This as goddamn well. Disney doesn't need another goddamn IP.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

NSZ wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I'd rather Disney not get it's hands on another franchise just to hire some indie director who they can easily control to work on it.
This. This as goddamn well. Disney doesn't need another goddamn IP.
IIRC only Japanese companies can buy out other Japanese companies or their IPs. Though I'm sure if they really wanted it (doubt it) Diseny would find some legal loophole.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think some of you misinterpreted what I said, I wasn't implying the MCU didn't have enough death, yes I've seen and enjoyed most of the films by the way, just Disney as an entity tends to not show much violence in its overall content.

Star Wars being a good example, after the purchase there's been a severe lack of amputations, decapitations, deaths on screen other than death by explosions, scars looking like paper cuts and while I absolutely loved the Vader sequence in Rogue One, every death was shot just out of frame. All 6 films weren't scared to show people getting arms chopped off, people getting impaled, brutal stuff.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Reminder that the main villain of Disney’s Tarzan is shown being hung from vines at the end of the movie.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote:Reminder that the main villain of Disney’s Tarzan is shown being hung from vines at the end of the movie.
Did not know this, that's pretty dark.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

They killed bambis mom for fucks sake.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Reminder that the main villain of Disney’s Tarzan is shown being hung from vines at the end of the movie.
Did not know this, that's pretty dark.
They've done darker things with their animated films than you're giving them credit for, honestly.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Wonder how Universal would do a Gamera flick.

Really the only company I trust would be Legendary or WB in general.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kind of laughing at the idea Disney doesn't show death. One of my favorite death scenes in animation comes from The Little Mermaid where they stabbed the witch with a ship!

Also, despite KotM kinda flopping, the rest of the MV, Rampage, Meg, Jurassic World, and the first PacRim all kind of show there's a market here. Not MCU size, but large enough I could see some studio wanting to do Gamera. And I don't think Gamera being obscure is as big an impediment as many claim - the Rampage games and Meg books were just as obscure, if not even more so.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I think with the disappointing box office of KOTM and especially if GvK also disappoints you won't see much in the way of Gamera or giant monsters here for a while
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's Gamera's specific brand of violence that would be unlikely for Disney to show. We're not likely to see much in the way of gushing blood, Gamera basically crucified for several hours, limbs bitten off, decapitations, Space Gyaos sliced up like salami, and so on.

Disney did let Thor behead Thanos, though, so I guess it's possible.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Godzilla21 wrote:I think with the disappointing box office of KOTM and especially if GvK also disappoints you won't see much in the way of Gamera or giant monsters here for a while
Eh, I don't think the failure of one movie is enough to kill the giant monster genre when you still have other recent successes in the genre, and there's no reason at all to believe GvK will disappoint (there's no Endgame next year so automatically GvK will do better). But saying for arguments sake that our worst fears are realized and GvK bombs, at worst you could see an end of Monsterverse styled "big" giant monster movies, but still see some more of the cheaper (relatively) kaiju films like Rampage and PacRim going forward. And I could easily see a great Gamera film coming out of a Rampage budget.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

If the big films flop though what incentive does a studio have to license another property at all? Rampage, The Meg, and even Power Rangers at least were made and released before KOTM disappointed.

The only way I think we'll see an American Gamera is if GvK is a big success. And even if it underperforms I think we could see one if the property was licensed before that event, but I think the other studios are waiting out what happens with that film before looking to other potential monster films.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

_JNavs_ wrote:I think some of you misinterpreted what I said, I wasn't implying the MCU didn't have enough death, yes I've seen and enjoyed most of the films by the way, just Disney as an entity tends to not show much violence in its overall content.

Star Wars being a good example, after the purchase there's been a severe lack of amputations, decapitations, deaths on screen other than death by explosions, scars looking like paper cuts and while I absolutely loved the Vader sequence in Rogue One, every death was shot just out of frame. All 6 films weren't scared to show people getting arms chopped off, people getting impaled, brutal stuff.

Snooke was shown sliced at the waist and arms. Han Solo was shown stabbed by his son, and they showed storm troopers smear blood on helmets.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.