ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by MaxRebo320 »

TyrantGojira wrote:So recent scans from the Taiga toyline suggests that
Spoiler:
Skull Gomora might return.
Lol, that's been out for weeks. Skull Gomora, but ALSO FREAKING TAKKONG!!! I'm too excited to see him return. Hopefully Taguchi directs his episode, since Jappa in Orb was originally written for Takkong.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Ultraman's never really appealed to me. But I've always ehard that Ultra Q is more Twighlight Zone and Traditional Kaiju. I'm contemplating getting that new steel book from Mill Creek, but I've only seen a few clips from the actual show. Coming from folks who have more knowledge of this series, is that something that would be worth the buy for someone who's just looking for a solid kaiju/horror show, as opposed to the kaiju superhero show that the Ultraman series seems to be?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingKaiju wrote:Ultraman's never really appealed to me. But I've always ehard that Ultra Q is more Twighlight Zone and Traditional Kaiju. I'm contemplating getting that new steel book from Mill Creek, but I've only seen a few clips from the actual show. Coming from folks who have more knowledge of this series, is that something that would be worth the buy for someone who's just looking for a solid kaiju/horror show, as opposed to the kaiju superhero show that the Ultraman series seems to be?
While I would recommend it, I'd be cautious about the Twilight Zone comparison; it's not really in the same tone, and the stories aren't nearly as dramatically or thematically compelling.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It’s got more in common with X-Files as there’s a recurring cast and an emphasis on creatures.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

eabaker wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Ultraman's never really appealed to me. But I've always ehard that Ultra Q is more Twighlight Zone and Traditional Kaiju. I'm contemplating getting that new steel book from Mill Creek, but I've only seen a few clips from the actual show. Coming from folks who have more knowledge of this series, is that something that would be worth the buy for someone who's just looking for a solid kaiju/horror show, as opposed to the kaiju superhero show that the Ultraman series seems to be?
While I would recommend it, I'd be cautious about the Twilight Zone comparison; it's not really in the same tone, and the stories aren't nearly as dramatically or thematically compelling.
I do think The Outer Limits is probably the better comparison than The Twilight Zone. But I certainly wouldn't say Q can't be dramatically or thematically compelling. A fair number of episodes like Kanegon's Cocoon, 1/8 People, Open Up! and a few others deal with then-and-still relevant themes that I'd call compelling. And even those that don't deal with any real themes per se still manage to be entertaining sci-fi stories most of the time. I imagine the original Twilight Zone had it's fair share of clunkers.

But no, if you're a fan of classic Toho monster movies from the 50s - 60s, there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy the show at least in doses.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
But I certainly wouldn't say Q can't be dramatically or thematically compelling. A fair number of episodes like Kanegon's Cocoon, 1/8 People, Open Up! and a few others deal with then-and-still relevant themes that I'd call compelling.
I didn't say the show couldn't be dramatically or thematically compelling, just that it's not in the same league as The Twilight Zone on those fronts.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

X files sounds like an interesting comparison. I might have to grab a copy. I’ve seen that steel book for a solid deal on amazon.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultra Q is more of a monster of the week, without Ultraman Showing up. Some of it is pretty goofy, but some of it gets really dark. A lot of it is really unique, due to the lighting and tone. It gets a high reccomendation from me, but I suggest going in blind.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Ultra Q is more of a monster of the week, without Ultraman Showing up. Some of it is pretty goofy, but some of it gets really dark. A lot of it is really unique, due to the lighting and tone. It gets a high reccomendation from me, but I suggest going in blind.
I tried looking up a few episodes on Youtube, but they have no subtitles. I saw one with a giant snail, dubbed, and it was interesting. Saw the steelbook preorder on Amazon for aout $25, so I just went with that. The idea of the show intriques me, it's something I'd like to see the Monsterverse go, if they ever decided to go the TV route.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

What if Sompote Sands made a Ultraman vs Godzilla vs Hanuman movie?
Last edited by AllosaurHell on Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

AllosaurHell wrote:What if Sompote Sands made a Ultraman vs Godzilla vs Hanuman movie?
You know what, I'm surprised he didn't.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

I'm a relapsed 90s-2000s Ultrafan.
What did I miss? Who's Taiga, Geed and Orb?
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultraman02 wrote:I'm a relapsed 90s-2000s Ultrafan.
You did't miss much. The series has been taken over by pop idols, generic messages about friendship, and toy merchandising. There's some good action, and some great monsters and moments, but despite the fanservice it really isn't comparable to the older stuff.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Ultraman02 wrote:I'm a relapsed 90s-2000s Ultrafan.
Well, things have changed. As LSD said, the series has become pretty gimmicky and toy focused, but it does have its ups. Ginga and Ginga S are pretty meh, but X, Orb and Geed are pretty solid shows in general. R/B is pretty blah but Taiga is pretty nice. Taiga is the son of Ultraman Taro and Geed is the son of Ultraman Belial.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Ginga is bad, Ginga S is great, X is good, Orb is excellent, and Geed is just ok
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

We need another game in the style of Ultraman Fighting Evolution Rebirth. I wanna play as Belial in that style.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I just wanted to ask, is it wrong that Ultra Q just bores me alot? I mean I know it's the first show, but with the exception of a few episodes, none have really wowed me. The first episode was entertaining, but the rest have not done anything so far. I've watched up to the episode with the lava kaiju and the Tarzan guy. I liked the episode with the Mole monster that had the jealously rivalry with a scientist and another guy. Don't get me wrong. I love showa tokusatsu but it's been eh for me so far.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Gothicserpent wrote:Ginga is bad, Ginga S is great, X is good, Orb is excellent, and Geed is just ok
I won't say any of them is really that good though. They feel like extremely low-budget production compared to the late 90s to early 2000s era shows. I mean Tiga, Dyna and Gaia had a fair bit of CGI when even bad CGI was extremely expensive for shows to produce.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Just rewatched a few episodes from the original Ultraman.
I really like the cheesy 60's Ultraman theme (American and Japanese ones).
For me, that series definitely introduced the "Weirdest" (Not the most ridiculous) Ultra Kaiju, Bullton. Like what the hell is it?
I remember when I was 12 I didn't even know how to beat him in UFR, he literally rolled over me.
Last edited by Ultraman02 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"