Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by eabaker »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I like the 55 Goji suit.
Me, too. The posture is a little weird, but the face looks nicely vicious, and there's something I like about the skin texture.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

eabaker wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I like the 55 Goji suit.
Me, too. The posture is a little weird, but the face looks nicely vicious, and there's something I like about the skin texture.
To me he seems very animalisitc. Just the way he awkwardly trudges around and grapples Anguirus I really like. Plus I think the movie is a nice popcorn flick. I also like the oddly placed dorsal plates and the very, like you said, vicious face.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla Raids Again may be slow but it’s a better movie than most fans give it credit for.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Terasawa wrote:Godzilla Raids Again may be slow but it’s a better movie than most fans give it credit for.
It gets shat on by fans for usually nothing more than its English dub and that's it.

My complaint is the human characters though, who are the focal point but just not that interesting to me.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Terasawa wrote:Godzilla Raids Again may be slow but it’s a better movie than most fans give it credit for.
I think it has something to do with it being the movie right after the original, and right before one of the most famous Godzilla movies ever in a casual fan or the GA's eyes, King Kong vs Godzilla.

It's sort of in a weird spot, and has a lot less to offer than those other two movies. Plus the whole Gigantis thing.

But that's just a theory. A Godzilla theory.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Godzilla Raids Again is essentially what would happen if Honda was never assigned to Godzilla in the first place- a standard B film.

It lacks a lot of the atmosphere that Gojira had, but the fact it emulates it for a couple scenes are reason enough to make it an interesting entry.

I'd care for it a little more if it wasn't for the uninteresting characters, but I too believe it deserves a smidge more recognition than it gets.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I like the look at Japanese civilian life in the post-war years. Tsukioka and Tajima were war buddies; there are very few other references to Godzilla film characters having served in the Imperial Japanese forces, so that’s unique too.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:I like the look at Japanese civilian life in the post-war years. Tsukioka and Tajima were war buddies; there are very few other references to Godzilla film characters having served in the Imperial Japanese forces, so that’s unique too.
On paper I like a lot of these things too, but the majority of it was executed poorly and boring.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I actually used to really like GRA when I was in my teens, and I still don't rank it near the bottom of my list or anything. As has been pointed out already, it's told from a unique perspective within the series, it explores some ideas like reconstruction that haven't really been dealt with much since, and at times the atmosphere is quite effective. I'm also fond of both monster suits (might even be my favorite Angilas look).

But, yeah, ultimately the drama falls flat, so it doesn't hold up to the kind of serious repeat viewing that a lot of other entries do.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

eabaker wrote:I actually used to really like GRA when I was in my teens, and I still don't rank it near the bottom of my list or anything. As has been pointed out already, it's told from a unique perspective within the series, it explores some ideas like reconstruction that haven't really been dealt with much since, and at times the atmosphere is quite effective. I'm also fond of both monster suits (might even be my favorite Angilas look).

But, yeah, ultimately the drama falls flat, so it doesn't hold up to the kind of serious repeat viewing that a lot of other entries do.
I feel like 55 Anuirus was a more effective fighter than the later versions. Sure it doesn't have the fancy technics like the 60's, 70's and 2004 one, but it's viciousness made it up for that, giving Godzilla a run for his money. The fighting styles of the later versions is more visually interesting and entertaining, and can be effective but their fighting style is heavily dependent on another monster's assistance to even be useful on enemy monsters.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

I like the overall design of the 55 anguirus more that it's successors. The wide mouth and the spikes riddled around his tail look really cool.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I like the overall design of the 55 anguirus more that it's successors. The wide mouth and the spikes riddled around his tail look really cool.
it is always strange that minus briefly in GFW, Angurius has never been bipedal again.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

- I think Biollante is a cool monster but I don't really like its movie.
- Didn't like Mechagodzilla 2 but still cool monsters.
- Heisei Ultraman > Heisei Godzilla
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Ultraman02 wrote:- I think Biollante is a cool monster but I don't really like its movie.
goji89 will be having a word with you son
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultraman02 wrote:- I think Biollante is a cool monster but I don't really like its movie.
- Heisei Ultraman > Heisei Godzilla
Some people just want to watch the forum burn.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I'm sorry......come again?

Please by all means can you tell us why?

I swear to God your analysis and critique of this movie better be good. If you just say boring...... *inhale, exhale*.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

goji89 wrote:

I swear to God your analysis and critique of this movie better be good. If you just say boring...... *inhale, exhale*.

Why so worked up dude?
Ok, I'm not going into detail with this because I'm way too tired but:
- I didn't like the subplot with the Saradian agent and that corporate espionage stuff.
- ANEB was useless.
- I find it kinda-sorta-a-bit b***** (it drags in some places).
+ I also remember it being all over the place (Psychics, Terrorists, Drama and Kaiju).
That's it. Still, I like the monster and it isn't the worst Heisei movie.
Maybe I should watch it again? To get a new perspective? It has been a couple of years since I saw GvB...
Last edited by Ultraman02 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a super jet he comes
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultraman02 wrote:
goji89 wrote:

- ANEB was useless.
The ANEB was how Godzilla was defeated...

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultraman02 wrote:
goji89 wrote:

- ANEB was useless.
I was gonna say that they weren't used again after this movie but I realized that the scientist was killed at the end of the movie so they can't make more of it.
You got me there.
In a super jet he comes
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultraman02 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultraman02 wrote: - ANEB was useless.
I was gonna say that they weren't used again after this movie but I realized that the scientist was killed at the end of the movie so they can't make more of it.
You got me there.
An item not being used in a subsequent film isn't the fault of the film it debuted in.