Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by eabaker »

I'm glad Anguirus is a corpse in KotM, because it allows them to have Angilas show up at some point instead.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Stump Feet wrote:I think if someone was forced to listen to the dubs for the Rebirth Of Mothra series and Megaguirus every day , they’d have a hemorrhage
Especially ROM1 & 2. X_X

The post-Handover Hong Kong dubs (everything from the re-worked MGII to GFW) are so hard to endure. I know most of you guys hate the GvKG and GvMothra dubs too but at least in those there are attempts at characterization and not every voice sounds identically monotone.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I know right? Those are equally terrible imo
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:The post-Handover Hong Kong dubs (everything from the re-worked MGII to GFW) are so hard to endure. I know most of you guys hate the GvKG and GvMothra dubs too but at least in those there are attempts at characterization and not every voice sounds identically monotone.
Yeah, the performances on GvsKG and GvMothra aren't that bad, but the mixing is really poor.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

eabaker wrote:I'm glad Anguirus is a corpse in KotM, because it allows them to have Angilas show up at some point instead.
Wait a sec-

Added in 1 minute 20 seconds:
Gojira18 wrote:A dInOsAuR?
wHaT?
tAkE tHaT yOu DiNoSaUr

(Best line in the whole movie)

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

eabaker wrote:I'm glad Anguirus is a corpse in KotM, because it allows them to have Angilas show up at some point instead.
Sadly that's not the case, WB lacks his rights, they can make cameos but not feature the real thing
Long Live The Sting

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Stump Feet wrote:
Sadly that's not the case, WB lacks his rights, they can make cameos but not feature the real thing
Stump c'mon on man.......... I know your better than this. Posting facts toward an Easter egg joke.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

You’re right…

King Kong will actually be revealed to be Anguirus in an ape suit

Added in 46 minutes 36 seconds:
MOGUERA is my favorite Heisei mech
Long Live The Sting

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

goji89 wrote:The Showa era of Godzilla is sub par. Cheesy characters dialogue and god awful dubs.

Heisei era of Godzilla is the core of the franchise.
Y I K E S :freak:

The Heisei era has its place in the franchise, and Heisei Godzilla is basically the default version for Toho at this point, but what goes on in the Showa series is basically what defines Godzilla. Gojira, King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah TTHM, Invasion of Astro-Monster, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, THESE are the films that shaped the world’s perception of what Godzilla is, what it can be. And yes, the characters were often cheesy, but usually in a GOOD way. The Heisei era devolves into cheese and ham-fistedness without any of the self-awareness that made the Showa cheese work so well. Godzilla vs Megalon knows damn well that it’s a cheap-looking schlock-fest. Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla, by comparison, is just begging for someone to tap it on the shoulder and say, “These phony meteors make it impossible to build any kind of tension, so lighten up.”

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Is Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla not as sinister as I thought it was as a kid?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I wanna know how Showa characters are specifically “cheesier” than the pteranodon-obsessed pilot, Dr. Yamane’s grandson crushing on Miki in the most pathetic way, the goofy/wimpy Mogera pilot, Miki with telekinetic earrings, etc.

Or how Showa dialogue is inherently cheesier than “Shit damn we’re the lethal weapon!” or “Take that, you dinosaur,” or “The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test,” or half the bullshit about SpaceGodzilla’s “crystal energy” and Godzilla cells sucked through a black hole.”
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Every Godzilla era has cheesy dialogue and certain cheesy characters. I love it all
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla21 wrote:Every Godzilla era has cheesy dialogue and certain cheesy characters. I love it all
I'm pretty much right with you. That's a pretty big part of the camp appeal of these movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I wish I had that mentality, all I watch are the Showa Toho films with maybe The Legend Reborn and Biollante popping in from time to time.

Idk, I'd rather watch The Mysterians or Dogora than MG2 or Destroyah anyday.
Long Live The Sting

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Stump Feet wrote:all I watch are the Showa Toho films...

Idk, I'd rather watch The Mysterians or Dogora than MG2 or Destroyah anyday.
Same here, though I’ll watch the Heisei Godzillas on occasion. I very rarely watch the Millennium entries anymore.

I watch Toho’s non-Godzilla output probably as often as I watch the Showa Godzillas.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I like the 55 Goji suit.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think this is a solid design all things considered:

And the CGI for the time wasn't bad at all:

____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

The CGI was good for its time but hasn't aged well. I watched it in 4K the other day and yikes.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla21 wrote:The CGI was good for its time but hasn't aged well. I watched it in 4K the other day and yikes.
Meanwhile, we get stuff like JP1 and TLW, with far better CGI. I'll admit the practical effects were decent, though

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean GINO does technically posses all the physical traits that typically define Godzilla. His spines for example aren't any less Godzilla than G14's spines.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983