Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by G2000 »

_JNavs_ wrote:I liked Shin for what it was.

I just feel like I'm missing something here, like a previous season or something. This kid Shingi's dad is an EVA Boss, the woman that saved him seems to dig him a bit, and Angels are a constant threat.

Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.
Like the others have said, things get gradually revealed as you go along

Are you watching the original ADV dub or the turgid Netflix dub? The only good thing about the Netflix one is that it makes fujoshits burst into flames; otherwise the voice acting is far weaker IMO (but don’t let me deter you lol)

Added in 3 minutes 32 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:And the plot, is it good? Will it keep me interested for multiple seasons and the 2 films? Or are there tons of filler eps like later episodes of Shippuden?
There’s literally only one season lol, it’s not very long at all.

There’s 26 episodes plus the two-part End of Evangelion, and then there’s the three (soon to be four as the final film is released next year) Rebuild films which start out similar to the show but begins to diverge in a major way in the second film, becoming nigh-unrecognizable by 3.0

But yes, the plot is good and pretty engaging in my opinion.
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Just don't be a pleb about the ending, watch it and then watch EOE. The latter isn't a replacement.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

G2000 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I liked Shin for what it was.

I just feel like I'm missing something here, like a previous season or something. This kid Shingi's dad is an EVA Boss, the woman that saved him seems to dig him a bit, and Angels are a constant threat.

Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.
Like the others have said, things get gradually revealed as you go along

Are you watching the original ADV dub or the turgid Netflix dub? The only good thing about the Netflix one is that it makes fujoshits burst into flames; otherwise the voice acting is far weaker IMO (but don’t let me deter you lol)

Added in 3 minutes 32 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:And the plot, is it good? Will it keep me interested for multiple seasons and the 2 films? Or are there tons of filler eps like later episodes of Shippuden?
There’s literally only one season lol, it’s not very long at all.

There’s 26 episodes plus the two-part End of Evangelion, and then there’s the three (soon to be four as the final film is released next year) Rebuild films which start out similar to the show but begins to diverge in a major way in the second film, becoming nigh-unrecognizable by 3.0

But yes, the plot is good and pretty engaging in my opinion.
Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

_JNavs_ wrote: Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?
That's all it was ever meant to be
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote:[q
Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?
Anno nearly kills himself everytime he does Eva.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

miguelnuva wrote:
:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.
No, Anno said atleast twice his depression was borderline suicidal when he works on Eva too long.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

miguelnuva wrote:
goji89 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
No, Anno said atleast twice his depression was borderline suicidal when he works on Eva too long.
Im sorry, but I read that and it just felt like a zing moment...... :( .

But yeah I've known about that too. Has he explained why?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

goji89 wrote:Has he explained why?
I mean...have you watched the show?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
No, what's it about?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

goji89 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
No, what's it about?
Lot of heavy themes about life and...stuff. I won't spoil it in case you want to watch it sometime, but it gets super heavy at times (can't really think of a better word to use) and after you watch it, you really start to see how working on something like that can be so mentally draining.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
No, what's it about?
Lot of heavy themes about life and...stuff. I won't spoil it in case you want to watch it sometime, but it gets super heavy at times (can't really think of a better word to use) and after you watch it, you really start to see how working on something like that can be so mentally draining.
Are they those huge Gundams that transform into dinosaurs?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

That's Transformers: Beast Wars you twit

EVA's about a boy who fights ET's while inside his own mom.

The main character's internal conflicts usually revolve around whether or not he wants to run away, or jerk it to unconscious girls
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So far what I've gotten from the first 2 episodes is, Ms. Misato is super hot.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

_JNavs_ wrote: Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.
I think the idea is to put the audience into Shinji's headspace. Shinji's had no communication with his dad, and had no prior knowledge of the EVA program*; so he, and the audience, have no idea what's going on after suddenly being thrust into the middle of a crisis.
goji89 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Im sorry, but I read that and it just felt like a zing moment...... :( .

But yeah I've known about that too. Has he explained why?
I think it's been fairly well documented that Anno's bouts of depression greatly influenced the show's design and direction. I get the impression the franchise has been both catharsis and catalyst for him, at different times in their history.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

_JNavs_ wrote:So far what I've gotten from the first 2 episodes is, Ms. Misato is super hot.

Honestly she's one of my favorite characters in anything though
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their shit together.

*: human wise, best non-human girl is obviously Ramiel.

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would any of you be willing to address the most popular criticisms of this show? How would those of you who are fans of this franchise counter them?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.

It's Lilith you bastard.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

goji89 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.

It's Lilith you bastard.
Pfff, Rei is best girl for you?

Casual~
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home