Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4758
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby G2000 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:15 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:I liked Shin for what it was.

I just feel like I'm missing something here, like a previous season or something. This kid Shingi's dad is an EVA Boss, the woman that saved him seems to dig him a bit, and Angels are a constant threat.

Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.


Like the others have said, things get gradually revealed as you go along

Are you watching the original ADV dub or the turgid Netflix dub? The only good thing about the Netflix one is that it makes fujoshits burst into flames; otherwise the voice acting is far weaker IMO (but don’t let me deter you lol)

Added in 3 minutes 32 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:And the plot, is it good? Will it keep me interested for multiple seasons and the 2 films? Or are there tons of filler eps like later episodes of Shippuden?


There’s literally only one season lol, it’s not very long at all.

There’s 26 episodes plus the two-part End of Evangelion, and then there’s the three (soon to be four as the final film is released next year) Rebuild films which start out similar to the show but begins to diverge in a major way in the second film, becoming nigh-unrecognizable by 3.0

But yes, the plot is good and pretty engaging in my opinion.
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Just don't be a pleb about the ending, watch it and then watch EOE. The latter isn't a replacement.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5597
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm

G2000 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I liked Shin for what it was.

I just feel like I'm missing something here, like a previous season or something. This kid Shingi's dad is an EVA Boss, the woman that saved him seems to dig him a bit, and Angels are a constant threat.

Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.


Like the others have said, things get gradually revealed as you go along

Are you watching the original ADV dub or the turgid Netflix dub? The only good thing about the Netflix one is that it makes fujoshits burst into flames; otherwise the voice acting is far weaker IMO (but don’t let me deter you lol)

Added in 3 minutes 32 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:And the plot, is it good? Will it keep me interested for multiple seasons and the 2 films? Or are there tons of filler eps like later episodes of Shippuden?


There’s literally only one season lol, it’s not very long at all.

There’s 26 episodes plus the two-part End of Evangelion, and then there’s the three (soon to be four as the final film is released next year) Rebuild films which start out similar to the show but begins to diverge in a major way in the second film, becoming nigh-unrecognizable by 3.0

But yes, the plot is good and pretty engaging in my opinion.


Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?


That's all it was ever meant to be
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11971
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby miguelnuva » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:[q
Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?


Anno nearly kills himself everytime he does Eva.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby goji89 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:[q
Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?


Anno nearly kills himself everytime he does Eva.


:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11971
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby miguelnuva » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:17 pm

goji89 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:[q
Lol, yeah I saw that it was on Netflix so I decided I'd start giving the dub a watch. I had no clue it was one season until post-comment :lol:, it seems to be such a long running franchise, why just one season?


Anno nearly kills himself everytime he does Eva.


:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.


No, Anno said atleast twice his depression was borderline suicidal when he works on Eva too long.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby goji89 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
goji89 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Anno nearly kills himself everytime he does Eva.


:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.


No, Anno said atleast twice his depression was borderline suicidal when he works on Eva too long.


Im sorry, but I read that and it just felt like a zing moment...... :( .

But yeah I've known about that too. Has he explained why?
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14157
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 pm

goji89 wrote:Has he explained why?


I mean...have you watched the show?
Image

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby goji89 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:Has he explained why?


I mean...have you watched the show?


No, what's it about?
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14157
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:41 pm

goji89 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:Has he explained why?


I mean...have you watched the show?


No, what's it about?


Lot of heavy themes about life and...stuff. I won't spoil it in case you want to watch it sometime, but it gets super heavy at times (can't really think of a better word to use) and after you watch it, you really start to see how working on something like that can be so mentally draining.
Image

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby goji89 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
I mean...have you watched the show?


No, what's it about?


Lot of heavy themes about life and...stuff. I won't spoil it in case you want to watch it sometime, but it gets super heavy at times (can't really think of a better word to use) and after you watch it, you really start to see how working on something like that can be so mentally draining.


Are they those huge Gundams that transform into dinosaurs?
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
Stump Feet
Futurian
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:45 am

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:41 pm

That's Transformers: Beast Wars you twit

EVA's about a boy who fights ET's while inside his own mom.

The main character's internal conflicts usually revolve around whether or not he wants to run away, or jerk it to unconscious girls
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5597
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:42 pm

So far what I've gotten from the first 2 episodes is, Ms. Misato is super hot.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5159
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Rody » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:35 am

_JNavs_ wrote:Is this supposed to feel like an already lived in world? I figured we'd get to see how it all started. But it's fine by me so far.

I think the idea is to put the audience into Shinji's headspace. Shinji's had no communication with his dad, and had no prior knowledge of the EVA program*; so he, and the audience, have no idea what's going on after suddenly being thrust into the middle of a crisis.

goji89 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
goji89 wrote:
:lol: :lol: ........ Maybe you didn't mean this as a joke but damn I can't stop.


No, Anno said atleast twice his depression was borderline suicidal when he works on Eva too long.


Im sorry, but I read that and it just felt like a zing moment...... :( .

But yeah I've known about that too. Has he explained why?


I think it's been fairly well documented that Anno's bouts of depression greatly influenced the show's design and direction. I get the impression the franchise has been both catharsis and catalyst for him, at different times in their history.

User avatar
omgitsgodzilla
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4146
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 am
Location: Soviet Nuclear Missile Satellite

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby omgitsgodzilla » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:24 am

_JNavs_ wrote:So far what I've gotten from the first 2 episodes is, Ms. Misato is super hot.

Image

Honestly she's one of my favorite characters in anything though
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2350
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.




*: human wise, best non-human girl is obviously Ramiel.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Would any of you be willing to address the most popular criticisms of this show? How would those of you who are fans of this franchise counter them?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10613
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby goji89 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:36 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.




*: human wise, best non-human girl is obviously Ramiel.


It's Lilith you bastard.
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 am
Location: My parents basement

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby ManuJM1997 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:37 pm

goji89 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato is best girl*, mostly because she's the character who (relatively) has the most of their poop together.




*: human wise, best non-human girl is obviously Ramiel.


It's Lilith you bastard.


Pfff, Rei is best girl for you?

Casual~
JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests