Complete english copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Re: Complete english copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Qaenos wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "zero SD resolution"
http://s4.postimg.org/lt0z44i31/vlcsnap ... 51s154.png
My copy is a 1.45gb windowboxed capture. It has a vertical resolution of about 275 pixels with a properly flagged AR. It's worthless. Also, Kong was just the Blu-Ray (no rescanned 35mm bits for reel 1 or improved coloring).
omgitsgodzilla wrote:It's probably because the International dub would have roughly followed the Japanese script, while Russ Tamblyn's lines were spoken according to the American script. So, had you been on the set, you'd have heard the Japanese cast discussing Frankenstein while Russ Tamblyn was talking about Gargantuas. If you were making an English dub according to the Japanese script, as opposed to the more adapted American script, you would then have to dub Russ' dialogue as well to match the rest, so that he's talking about Frankenstein too.
Precisely.
Oh. That makes sense. For some reason, I was under the impression that the line changes had happened after the films was completed, with Russ redubbing himself to say Gargantua instead of Frankenstein after the film was done and he was back in America.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Complete english copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

^^ Usually, that probably would have been the case. However, the reason Russ Tamblyn was in the movie at all is because Toho was working very closely with the American studio UPA at the time to produce sci-fi and monster movies that would appeal to American audiences as well and require fewer modifications when exported, which is also how Nick Adams ended up in Frankenstein Conquers the World and Invasion of Astro-Monster. The American script would have been developed not long after the Japanese script, possibly even alongside it, allowing the lines spoken on-set by the English-speaking cast to account for any differences in the American version's dialogue.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

cheshire22
Ronin

Re: Complete english copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World?

Post by cheshire22 »

I realize this is a 4-yr-old thread, but I have been attempting to track down a pre-bastardized complete AIP copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World for some time now. My only AIP copy is the horrendous transfer redone for TV in the 1980s, recorded on a VHS from an AMC broadcast from either the late 1990s or early 2000s.

I saw earlier in this thread two different individuals say that they might have a bootleg copy of the orig AIP version--gigan72 and Missingno. If this information is still accurate, would either of you contact me, either by replying in this thread or PM'ing me more info on the copy you have--is it a digital file, dvd, VHS, etc.? And would there be some way that I could obtain a copy from one of you?

Thanx so much in advance!!!
Last edited by cheshire22 on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Insert this side into recorder ^ Do not touch the tape inside

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I can help you out, check your PMs.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

cheshire22
Ronin

Post by cheshire22 »

Thanx a lot!!

Added in 1 day 12 hours 3 minutes 10 seconds:
Also, my attempts thus far to obtain a copy of the German DVD have proved unsuccessful. Would somebody here either be willing to share a rip of it with me, or point me to a source through which I could purchase my own copy?

Thanx!!
Resized Image

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

The anomalies of the Monsters HD Frankenstein Conquers The World master:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7fr2ma

cheshire22
Ronin

Post by cheshire22 »

Joseph Goodman wrote:The anomalies of the Monsters HD Frankenstein Conquers The World master:
This video contained all differences except the “first contact” between Frankenstein and Baragon scene, in which shots were arranged in different order in the original AIP version.
Last edited by cheshire22 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

cheshire22 wrote:This video contained all differences except the “first contact” between Frankenstein and Baragon scene, in which shots were arranged in different order in the original AIP version.

Frankenstein and Baragon's first encounter is edited in the exact same sequence in all three sources I used; is it that way in the old UPA master?
Last edited by Joseph Goodman on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheshire22
Ronin

Post by cheshire22 »

Joseph Goodman wrote:Frankenstein and Baragon's first encounter is edited in the exact same sequence in all three sources I used; is it that way in the old UPA master?
I just checked my copies of those same three sources and found that they are indeed edited identically. Sadly, my VHS copy of the later UPA version is buried away in storage atm and is virtually inaccessible. At first, I panicked, as I clearly remembered reading a week or so ago from a website comparing differences between versions of FCTW that a few shots in the aforementioned scene were shuffled around slightly. So, I obsessively searched through the last few weeks of my browsing history on both my phone and computer. As I embarked upon this arduous quest, I considered only three hypotheses likely: 1.) That my memory was faulty and the scene in question had not in anyway been altered; 2.) That I had jumped into a slightly alternate timeline within the past week or so; or 3.) That I had fallen prey to the Mandela effect. As my memory is consistently 99.999999% impeccable, that only left the second two options. I breathed a sigh of relief when, roughly an hour later, I finally stumbled upon the website in question, which revealed that my memory was only slightly faulty, as this page compares the Japanese version to the German version. It does document an instance of moving the first contact between Frankenstein and Baragon to a point later in the scene. The description of this occurrence, Google-translated from German to English, is vague, and the screenshots are not very revealing. Here is the link to this page:

https://www.schnittberichte.com/schnitt ... hp?ID=4728

I simply assumed the edit made in the German version was identical to the original AIP cut, as I have read in multiple sources that, sans title cards, credits, and the dub, the former is essentially the latter in video and audio presentation. I should've checked my Toho Blu-ray and AIP copies to confirm but I didn't think to. I personally do not possess a copy of the German DVD. If you or anyone else following this thread who does have a copy of the German version could weigh in on this and confirm or disconfirm the info reported on the above site and provide more detail of the alteration to the scene, I would appreciate it.
Last edited by cheshire22 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

I haven't seen the German disc, so I have no idea how that shot is edited beyond what's described at the link you posted. For those of you who have seen the German disc, does the normal sinkhole ending have the same drop in image quality the Media Blasters DVD has?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Keep in mind the German version as presented by Anolis is a recreation. And as presented on the DVD, those shots are out of order. Here's a quick breakdown.

Japanese/U.S. version
1. Bowen realizes Sueko isn't with him and turns around to rescue her.
2. Baragon bearing down on Sueko. Bowen and Frankenstein enter frame left.
3. Bowen helps Sueko up. (Actually 2 shots but that's not relevant here.)
4. Frankenstein grabs Baragon by the horn and pulls him upwards.
5. Bowen carries Sueko away as the monsters battle in the background.
6. Frankenstein wrestles Baragon to the ground, frame right.
7. Baragon rolls over and the battle continues into the open with Baragon blasting Frankenstein with his heat ray. (Again more than one shot, but irrelevant to the discussion.)
8. Kawaji wanders about the woods looking for Bowen and Sueko.

Anolis recreation
6. (Just part of this shot is repeated here.)

I doubt this is how the footage was seen in the original German release because the soundtrack on the Anolis disc still corresponds to what we see in the Japanese and U.S. versions. It's very clear from watching it that the soundtrack after shot 3 and up to shot 8 are out of sync.
Joseph Goodman wrote:For those of you who have seen the German disc, does the normal sinkhole ending have the same drop in image quality the Media Blasters DVD has?
It looks to me like they simply patched most of the last reel with the footage from the Devilfish ending. There's a shift in quality once the sinkhole opens up.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Thanks for that breakdown; it sounds like it was just a brief screw-up. While searching for details on the Anolis disc, I found this post by Anolis's Ivo Scheloske from around the time of the disc's release, with some details about the sources used:
In this case, we would have had access to a good video master, which was only available in NTSC. The standard transformation would not only have made the picture "softer", but also led to the annoying stutters. So we bought a brand new 35mm copy which of course had to be scanned again.

German tone: Contrary to popular belief is supplied by the licensors in at least cases of German tone. That means we had to take care of the sound ourselves. And since there was no other material apart from a few heavily eroded 35mm copies (which also had a lot of missing parts), the German tone had to be reconstructed word for word in some places and then applied to the resampled material.
It's also interesting that the "new 35mm copy" (it's not specified what kind of copy it is) they received is the octopus ending, and that the sinkhole endings on the Toho DVD, Media Blasters DVD, and the Anolis German version is in inferior quality. Turns out, the sinkhole ending had been misplaced:
Mr. Shimizu: “I don't know why, but when I decided to put out this (Blu-ray in 2014), I decided to look for the film again, and I've got everything I was looking for it but I couldn't find it ...
I wonder where I went ... However, I was desperately searching and finally found the “Kingoji's three rolls of cuts” and “Frankenstein vs. Underground Monster Baragon” 's domestic version of Last Roll”. "