ID'ing music in Toho trailers

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

ID'ing music in Toho trailers

Post by Terasawa »

I'm not aware of another topic like this and the search function is so broken that I can't find one, so forgive me if I missed an older topic.

I'm specifically looking for the source of the following cues:

1. The Latin style music at 0:22. It sounds like something from another Masaru Sato score.

2. The surf rock jam at ~0:30.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G-Matt
Futurian

Re: ID'ing music in Toho trailers

Post by G-Matt »

Would be nice to actually see the trailers, for one thing. They appear to be unavailable to me at least.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

G-Matt wrote:Would be nice to actually see the trailers, for one thing. They appear to be unavailable to me at least.
Oops, I guess that's why it pays to proofread right? :lol: Updated the links. If they're still unavailable, for whatever reason, the first is Son of Godzilla and the second is Latitude Zero.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Sadly I don't know the original source for either of these, but given the era it's like a 99% chance it's from another Toho score, naturally... so probably not a super helpful comment. I think the only time I can recall it coming from a film outside of Toho from this era is the trailer for Ebirah Horror of the Deep and Conflagration which both use "Night on Bald Mountain".

Anyway, love this thread, hopefully it takes off as there is other music I have been super curious on that appears in trailers. Like the music that appears in the teaser trailer for Rebirth of Mothra (1996) and Juvenlie (2000)... pretty cool adventure theme.

Here is a direct link to the theme I'm talking about (can't find the teaser for Rebirth of Mothra, it's the second teaser - not the one that played with Destoroyah):

Seems the YouTube feature on here doesn't support the specific time start feature, but it starts at 1:21.
Last edited by Arbok on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Arbok wrote:Anyway, love this thread, hopefully it takes off as there is other music I have been super curious on that appears in trailers. Like the music that appears in the teaser trailer for Rebirth of Mothra (1996) and Juvenlie (2000)... pretty cool adventure theme.
I can't help with that either but it could be library music. This Destoroyah newsflash uses a track from the DeWolfe library.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Terasawa wrote:I can't help with that either but it could be library music. This Destoroyah newsflash uses a track from the DeWolfe library.
....I could kiss you. It is from the DeWolfe Library, it's Space Fantasy by Tim Souster:

https://www.dewolfemusic.com/search.php ... ode=Cik5NF

Btw, what's the Destoroyah newsflash track called?

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Arbok wrote:Btw, what's the Destoroyah newsflash track called?
You mean this one?

https://www.dewolfemusic.com/search.php ... ode=YGkSwr
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Thanks G-Matt!

Has work been done in the past on identifying themes from trailers? I'd always been on the look out and have identified a lot of themes, but never dug into the DeWolfe library which is a rich source of them. For example, found the music from the second teaser for Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla:

It's the theme Counter Attack by Tim Souster (the part used in the trailer starts at about 1:31):

https://www.dewolfemusic.com/search.php ... ode=XiYciE

Anyway, a lot of trailer music I still want to identify, like the music used in the first teaser for Rebirth of Mothra (the one with the CGI Fairy Mothras) or the first teaser for Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla that features the poster at the end... but is this stuff people have already identified?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

In regards to Japanese trailers? I don’t think so. Fans have mostly combed the De Wolfe library (at least what’s available online) for tracks that were used in foreign versions of these movies.

Another familiar Tim Souster track, this one having been used in early GGOTU trailers.

https://youtu.be/Tm9duW3MsOg
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Terasawa wrote:Fans have mostly combed the De Wolfe library (at least what’s available online) for tracks that were used in foreign versions of these movies.
So just looking for the movies themselves and not the actual trailers?

I might start an article then to try and find more while making the past research I did available. Already found a lot for the later films, like 20th Century Boys, Pandemic, the 2010 Space Battleship Yamato, etc

That said, never realized Toho used DeWolfe back in the 1990's, so this opens up a lot of themes from trailers I didn't recognize before.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Ah Terasawa, you beat me to it with the GOTU one!

This track, called "The Attack Begins", is heard in trailers for GMK and Tokyo SOS.

Last edited by G-Matt on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Good find G-Matt!

Didn't realize that they were looking outside of the work of Tim Souster from this library. That widens the scope, and allowed me to find this one for the Godzilla vs. Megaguirus teaser:

It's Relentless Power by Frederic Talgorn.

https://www.dewolfemusic.com/search.php ... ode=mIYoVJ

Has anyone found any others?

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Speaking of Tim Souster/DeWolfe tracks, this isn't from a Toho trailer, but some of you may recognize it at 0:44:

Last edited by Joseph Goodman on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Joseph Goodman wrote:Speaking of Tim Souster/DeWolfe tracks, this isn't from a Toho trailer, but some of you may recognize it at 0:44:
That was used in the US edit of Godzilla 2000, right?

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

No, it's the main menu music for the Simitar Godzilla DVDs.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Speaking of the Simitar DVDs, I believe this other Tim Souster cue,"Force of Darkness," was used on the special features menus.

"Earthworks" by Souster was used in Orochi teasers.

The very end of "Bones of Contention" by Souster was used in Toho's teaser for the "All New American version - Godzilla!"

Was this the track in the early Rebirth of Mothra teaser? I can't find that trailer online. "Dawn of Mankind". There are 30 and 15 second versions of this on a later CD.

I know I've heard this track before but I can't place it. The familiar section starts at 1:23. "Path of Destruction 1"
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Joseph Goodman wrote:No, it's the main menu music for the Simitar Godzilla DVDs.
Wow... I was way off.
Terasawa wrote:"Earthworks" by Souster was used in Orochi teasers.

The very end of "Bones of Contention" by Souster was used in Toho's teaser for the "All New American version - Godzilla!"

Was this the track in the early Rebirth of Mothra teaser? I can't find that trailer online. "Dawn of Mankind". There are 30 and 15 second versions of this on a later CD.
Great finds, and yeah Dawn of Mankind was used in the first Rebirth of Mothra teaser.
Terasawa wrote:I know I've heard this track before but I can't place it. The familiar section starts at 1:23. "Path of Destruction 1"
It does sound very familiar, but likewise I can't place it. Tried listening through all the 1990's Godzilla and Mothra trailers, but nothing there... possible it's from a trailer outside of Toho, or outside of the range I tried.

Btw, has anyone ID'ed the music from this earlier teaser for Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla? Haven't been successful myself.