What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by edgaguirus »

I was watching The Black Scorpion last night. It adds nothing new to the giant insect genre, but it has some good acting and moments of humor. The stop motion by Willis Obrien looks dated, but is effective.

However, the film does make me think. We see a 30 ft worm in the film, and I wonder what would happen if that was the main villain of a film. It has a creepy look, and worm like monsters have been used for other films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

While it may be subjective as to whether it's a monster movie or not, I watched the 1956 'Moby Dick' Friday night. Even though he didn't consider it one of his best roles, and is mostly associated with 'To Kill A Mockingbird', it's Captain Ahab that'll always come to my mind when thinking of Gregory Peck. On top of that, I'd love to know what became of the Moby Dick puppet; it'd make one hell of an item in a Bob Burns/Forry Ackerman style collection.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Leviarex wrote:Watched 'Rebirth Of Mothra III' earlier this evening as part of my month long preparatory marathon (which will continue tomorrow night with 'Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah' and 'Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II'), and looking at Grand Ghidorah, I can't help but think he had to have partly influenced Monsterverse Ghidorah's design, especially with those mace ended tails.
I remember reading a review of RoM III in an issue of G-Fan (I don't remember which one it was, though) shortly after it was released in Japan.

One thing that stood out for me was a sentence under a picture of Grand King Ghidorah. It said "This is the King Ghidorah that Godzilla should have fought back in 1991."
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Rewatching The Monster Squad for the first time since the 80's, so far it's just as funny as I remember it. Never knew I wanted a Godzilla vs. Van Helsing movie until now :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Just saw X from Outterspace on the TCM channel. Subbed and everything. Was pretty cool.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Just saw X from Outterspace on the TCM channel. Subbed and everything. Was pretty cool.
One of my favorite non-Toho kaiju flicks. Definitely need to pick it up sometime.
Long Live The Sting

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Love Guilala. He's just such a unique and bizarre kaiju.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Anyone remember the The Ladders commercial that aired in america and featured a ton of Guilala’s and new suit work from the costume?
Long Live The Sting

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I remember that.

I saw Gamera vs Barugon last night. I've decided to see some of the better Gamera films lately, as I haven't seen them in awhile. This one is my favorite.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Continuing Gamera, I watched G vs Gyaos. It is the perfect middle ground of the series. There's a kid, but it's not too silly or kid oriented. Gyaos is an excellent enemy for Gamera, being able to match his flying ability and having an effective weapon to slice Gamera's flesh.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

edgaguirus wrote:Continuing Gamera, I watched G vs Gyaos. It is the perfect middle ground of the series. There's a kid, but it's not too silly or kid oriented. Gyaos is an excellent enemy for Gamera, being able to match his flying ability and having an effective weapon to slice Gamera's flesh.
“Perfect middle ground” is right. I know Yuasa and Nisan Takahashi found a formula that worked in the later sequels but I wish they’d kept this style, with the adult characters the focus of the drama and the child a supporting character.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Continuing Gamera, I watched G vs Gyaos. It is the perfect middle ground of the series. There's a kid, but it's not too silly or kid oriented. Gyaos is an excellent enemy for Gamera, being able to match his flying ability and having an effective weapon to slice Gamera's flesh.
“Perfect middle ground” is right. I know Yuasa and Nisan Takahashi found a formula that worked in the later sequels but I wish they’d kept this style, with the adult characters the focus of the drama and the child a supporting character.
To me, Gyaos ends up feeling a little bit too squarely in the middle. I like how completely the next few movies commit to the childrens' perspective, and to a general sense of weirdness.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'Creature From The Black Lagoon' and 'Jaws' last night; the latter helping me get in the mood for 'Shark Week'. As I've told friends and family numerous times, after you've seen enough Great White Shark footage, it becomes all too clear how Bruce doesn't totally resemble the genuine article.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Doing a John Carpenter double feature cause I has nothing going on tonight. Just finished In the Mouth of Madness and am about to start Prince of Darkness.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Mothra vs. Godzilla baby 8-)
Long Live The Sting

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Being on a marine life/marine adventure kick as of late, I watched 'It Came From Beneath The Sea' last night after watching 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home'. That's one 50s monster movie that's pretty pro-feminist for the time.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Piranha 3D. Words cannot describe how much I love this movie
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Had The Giant Behemoth on the other day. I'm aware of all the usual complaints: it had been done before, the characters do nothing but move the plot along, the special FX are generally very good but also quite limited in scope, etc. I think most people just write this off as merely competent. It's not a classic but it's a nostalgic favorite of mine. I first saw this before 20,000 Fathoms so I didn't have a very similar earlier film to compare it to. This has a very strong documentary style that seems influenced by the Quatermass films: after the first reel there are very few scenes that aren't just the characters trying to unravel the mystery and then, after having done that, trying to stop the monster's rampage. There's no emotional weight but I don't think that's a problem here. It's all very matter-of-fact and I think that greatly benefits the movie.

Originally the monster was supposed to be a radioactive mass and I think that would have made it stand out against the rest of the '50s monster movies. But even then I think it would have been quite like X the Unknown, another Quatermassian British flick of the era.

I dunno, I just like it and I always have. It's my favorite of Eugène Lourié's giant monster movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

spottedming
Samurai

Post by spottedming »

rewatched peter jackson's "king kong", its alright, the special features disk is worth a watch.

I also got the chance to watch "gamera the brave" and "the host" for the first time recently, both are pretty great, asides gamera's stock Kong roar