Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Rather late to make a thread for this, I know, but eh. Better late than never.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... varan.html

So, how crazy would this have been? Varan as some kind of apocalyptic beast, who is apparently too strong for Godzilla to defeat solo.

I actually rather like this one. Would I have preferred it to vs Destoroyah? No, but it’s still quite interesting.

Would have been nice seeing Godzilla and Little Godzilla fight side by side, and what would Varan have even been like and done? Would he have been anything like the Showa version, or would they only share a name and a similarity in appearance. And I definitely wouldn’t have hated the Heisei series ending the way this movie would have, but maybe i’m alone on that front.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan

Post by GigaBowserG »

Varan being a harbinger of the apocalypse feels really out of character for the monster, I think. Imagine like Anguirus or Baragon in such a role. Doesn't seem right. I do like the description of the ending, though, a quiet ushering in of the new millennium and the Heisei series ending that way.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote:Varan being a harbinger of the apocalypse feels really out of character for the monster, I think. Imagine like Anguirus or Baragon in such a role. Doesn't seem right. I do like the description of the ending, though, a quiet ushering in of the new millennium and the Heisei series ending that way.
I’d argue it fits the “lore” of the original Varan, that worshipped him as an evil god, but I agree with you that I just don’t see it without giving him a ton of bullshit powers. Now thinking about it a little more, what if they gave him white pupils, and made him look more creepy similar to the GMK Goji?

I do find it fascinating how Varan has been clung to and repeatedly brought up in a multitude of scrapped Godzilla films. I wonder if he’ll ever actually reappear again.

Edit: just remembered the far too brief, but great appearance of Varan in Godzilla in Hell issue 2:

I still think Varan would need more to be done; maybe make him physically larger than Godzilla, make the spikes just a little more crazy, and change his colors up a bit. It would be cool to give him some wonky ass powers; maybe when he’s in his gliding form, anything that his shadow touches, are hit by some sort of beam that corrodes/melts it. You could do a cool literal image of Varan being the monster that “blocks” out the Japanese sun.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

i would imagine liking this movie. though really, the plot fits Bagan WAY better than Varan. still i would like to see what it could have been

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Varan doesn't feel like a big time destroyer of life. Whether it's from a mediocre film or natural design, I'm not sure, but he'd need some major updates to fit the role.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Nope, Varan doesn't seem like a demonic god of destruction at all.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I actually really love this idea. Wonder how Varan would've looked in the movie. Wouldn't say it's a better ending to the heisei era but def would've been a step up (hopefully) from the previous two films.

Added in 52 seconds:
tyrantgoji wrote:i would imagine liking this movie. though really, the plot fits Bagan WAY better than Varan. still i would like to see what it could have been
Considering Bagan has had a bunch of different ideas and concepts for being used and then discared in films, nothing really fits him :lol:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Poor Varan. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

I will say this though. If they ever did use Varan in a movie again, it would come with a ton of creative freedom.

Unlike Ghidorah, Mothra, Mechagodzilla, Gigan, or of the other upper-tier monsters, Varan is a bit more of a blank slate. He's never fought any other monsters on film. He's never even technically interacted with any other monsters on film. Everything he's ever done has been relegated to a mediocre film that isn't that widely viewed, even among fans.

So if they ever use Varan again, they can pretty much make him as powerful as they want. There's a huge (mostly) blank slate there as the character comes with hardly any expectations.
Last edited by GojiDog on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

There's some interesting things you could do with him if you got the chance.

iirc, a windstorm accompanied his first appearance in the film before he stepped on the priest, so I could see Varan being a weather or disaster monster of sorts, bringing strong winds and rains wherever he goes.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

coming back to this... the ideas that lead up to Destoroyah is something in itself. so many different ideas being tossed around, some we don't even know about! Wonder what Godzilla vs Chaos and Godzilla vs The Divine Beast could have been like...

This film, Varan of all monsters being a destructor God is cool, but it's still off to think about. Hope one day we have a G-film with a similar plot though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Baradagi-sanjin has tons of potential to be a powerful supernatural kaiju, but with his powers played subtly instead of making him a flashy magic show like the GMK guardians.

Somewhere between Showa Mothra and Daimajin in terms of godliness.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Varan's role as a god of destruction kind of fits him, he was praised as a god in his original movie after all.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Isn't it ironic how this is sortof a reversal of GvVAB? Instead of being a guardian of skies, Varan is the big threat.
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Well, Varan has only one big role, so it's a very undetermined kaiju character wise. Varan is a blank slate, as Gojidog said, so anything could be done with Varan.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

I love Varan he is one of my favorite monsters so I would have loved to seen this being made. There is so much they could do with Varan. Who knows they could have even made a reference to his 1958 movie that he was not even a full adult yet and still growing just to increase his size. And who knows what type of abilities and powers they could give him. I just hope they bring back Varan in the near future to fight Godzilla or in a solo movie.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This movie would've been pretty cool. Out of all the cancelled lost films that were meant to come out in 1995 (Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla, Godzilla vs Bagan, this one) Giant Monster Varan has to be my favorite.
For Emperor and Empire!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

VoyagerGoji wrote:This movie would've been pretty cool. Out of all the cancelled lost films that were meant to come out in 1995 (Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla, Godzilla vs Bagan, this one) Giant Monster Varan has to be my favorite.
Agreed. I love the idea of Varan having such a major role after getting the shaft several times before, and I honestly dig the surprisingly positive note it ends on.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Dv-218 wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:This movie would've been pretty cool. Out of all the cancelled lost films that were meant to come out in 1995 (Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla, Godzilla vs Bagan, this one) Giant Monster Varan has to be my favorite.
Agreed. I love the idea of Varan having such a major role after getting the shaft several times before, and I honestly dig the surprisingly positive note it ends on.
I totally dig the idea where Godzilla and Little Godzilla just get to live out the rest of their lives peacefully.
For Emperor and Empire!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Honestly it's genuinely frustrating how close Varan has come to finally getting a proper second chance only to be scrapped at the last moment. Might not have been as impactful an ending to the Heisei era, but it would've been kino to see a Godly Varan destroying everything.
Resized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Don't forget the horde of ideas made by Kaoru Kamikiku.