Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:00 am

Gothicserpent wrote:Just rewatched it.

Its a masterpiece.

I love it too, man. There's just too much to love in this.

It's also pretty inspiring that the film was written by a student from a screenwriting school.

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

The aliens in this film are probably among the most unnervingly competent in the series.

Mugal is such a great villain, he's got that over the top "twirling evil mustache" charm and is quite resourceful. Like the others said, his plan to lure Interpol is a great idea on his part. From punishing his own soldiers, to cutting the tongues from those poor guys, and saying he's not a fan of long distance space travel, he's stood out to me since I was a kid. The little details I guess.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:21 pm

As I watched this tonight I caught a nice little bit of visually symmetry I've never noticed before:

Katsura has just plummeted off a cliff and is presumed dead. Ichinose and Yamamoto are arguing about whether or not she sabotaged the supersonic device. Angered, Ichinose storms out. Yamamoto, who is apparently romantically interested in Ichinose, starts to chase after him, but Murakoshi stops her. He pats her on the shoulder twice, somewhat condescendingly, and tells her to leave him alone. "He'll be all right." (Of course, anyone watching the movie knows Ichinose will not be all right.)

Then Honda cuts to Katsura's surgery. Here, presumably, her remaining human organs ⁠—including possibly her heart⁠— are being removed and replaced with fully cybernetic components. The aliens are also placing the Mechagodzilla control device inside her. The camera pans up to Dr. Mafune watching over her shoulder, visibly very upset. Mugal twice pats him on the shoulder in the same exaggeratedly patronizing manner as in the last scene. Although his actions suggest he's trying to reassure Mafune that it's all right, they and the audience know that, like Ichinose, Katsura will not be OK.

YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:42 am

Terasawa wrote:As I watched this tonight I caught a nice little bit of visually symmetry I've never noticed before:

Katsura has just plummeted off a cliff and is presumed dead. Ichinose and Yamamoto are arguing about whether or not she sabotaged the supersonic device. Angered, Ichinose storms out. Yamamoto, who is apparently romantically interested in Ichinose, starts to chase after him, but Murakoshi stops her. He pats her on the shoulder twice, somewhat condescendingly, and tells her to leave him alone. "He'll be all right." (Of course, anyone watching the movie knows Ichinose will not be all right.)

Then Honda cuts to Katsura's surgery. Here, presumably, her remaining human organs ⁠—including possibly her heart⁠— are being removed and replaced with fully cybernetic components. The aliens are also placing the Mechagodzilla control device inside her. The camera pans up to Dr. Mafune watching over her shoulder, visibly very upset. Mugal twice pats him on the shoulder in the same exaggeratedly patronizing manner as in the last scene. Although his actions suggest he's trying to reassure Mafune that it's all right, they and the audience know that, like Ichinose, Katsura will not be OK.

Oh, wow! Never caught this before! Good eye!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:11 am

Terasawa wrote:As I watched this tonight I caught a nice little bit of visually symmetry I've never noticed before:

Very nice catch, thank you for sharing this.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:41 am

God damn it I just love this skreeonking movie.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:43 am

Thanks gents! It's always nice to find new details that add to the depth of these movies.

Another detail I like, which I think is mentioned in the Classic Media commentary track, is that in the final shot of the human cast, all are standing together but there's a visible gap between Ichinose and Yamamoto, perhaps symbolizing Katsura having come between them. As much as I love the three Fukuda films that preceded this movie, it's stuff like this that makes me glad that Honda was able to return for one last film.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:04 am

is it true that the "hillside" Godzilla, Titanosaurus and MechaG fight on is actually where a city used to be? if so, wow... this film really did get dark.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:42 am

tyrantgoji wrote:is it true that the "hillside" Godzilla, Titanosaurus and MechaG fight on is actually where a city used to be? if so, wow... this film really did get dark.

Only at the very beginning of the fight. It gradually moves into the country.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:21 pm

It is absolutely amazing that I grew up with the heavily edited version released on VHS and how that cut was ever allowed to be released.

So much of the ending of the movie is lost with all the cuts made. In the version I knew, they made it look like Katsura was saved by the power of love and that stopped Mechagodzilla. (BTW, whenever Love is the answer to saving the day, I jokingly yell "Foiled by the Power of Love! NOOOOOO!". Terror of MG might have been the first time I did that). They also made it look like Dr. Mafune fell down and hurt his tummy, but is probably okay.

Having both of them die? Now that works a lot better, specifically having Katsura sacrifice herself to stop Mechagodzilla. That is way more emotionally satisfying and tragic than the heavily edited cut.

And why were these cuts even made? So kiddies wouldn't be upset that people died? Weak.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:56 pm

It was definitely done as a matter of censorship, to get a "G" from the MPAA, which would have been more important to the distributor than presenting the film as intended.

A TV version (the version with the prologue on the Classic Media DVD) that was released concurrently was uncut except for the two shots of Katsura's (fake) boobs and the addition of said prologue.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:32 pm

The Terror Of Godzilla cut is such a gem in the franchise I always thought :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:37 am

Terasawa wrote:It was definitely done as a matter of censorship, to get a "G" from the MPAA, which would have been more important to the distributor than presenting the film as intended.

A TV version (the version with the prologue on the Classic Media DVD) that was released concurrently was uncut except for the two shots of Katsura's (fake) boobs and the addition of said prologue.

Yeah that's so weird. Nowadays, you'd expect the TV version to be the censored one.
Last edited by GojiDog on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:38 am

I saw the final 20 minutes or so of this movie yesterday via Encore Classics and I have to ask this.

When Godzilla fights both Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus, why don't the two immediately double team him instead of MG letting Titanosaurus get the first shot by himself?

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:20 pm

When Mafune sent Titanosaurus to attack without permission, the aliens didn't mind. Mugal decided it would wound Godzilla and make it easier to deal with him. That could be the same strategy here. Titanosaurus softens up Godzilla, and MG finishes him off.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Kaijuzone
Young Farmer

Postby Kaijuzone » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Favorite quotes (from the dub):

"Sea animals, crustacea and of course all manner of fish."

"I see, thank you. I'm sorry to have troubled you."

"Katsura, we have gone too far. There's no return for us anymore!"

"As an earthling city, it's typified by its pollution and confusion. In spite of their attempts to control it, the earthlings don't know what to do. They're so ignorant."

"That's strange. A gentle dinosaur."

"Come on and shoot. You can't kill me anyways. So what do your bullets matter? HAHAHAHAHA."

"Don't try to escape earthling, or you will force us to kill you."

"AND THEN WE'LL DESTROY IT UTTERLY!"

"Even if you're a cyborg, Katsura i still love you."

"...and Mechagodzilla is just a machine."

"it's no good! The circuits have been cut loose! GODDAMN IT!"

and last but not least

"And with a parabolic LENS!"
Last edited by Kaijuzone on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:18 pm

^To add to this:

Tsuda: Your heart is frozen and dry. Who’d love a cyborg, a person who is not a person? So remember, forget about earthlings. They’re no concern of yours. There is only one emotion that controls your mind. What emotion is that? What controls you?

Katsura: Vengeance and hate. Revenge. [That's two emotions. Close enough.]

&

"Your entreaties fall on deaf ears. It’s too late, the die is cast!"
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:47 pm

At that post with the comforting shoulder grab I actually never got the impression Yamamoto had a crush on

Minor minor thing but I never got the impression Yamamoto had a crush on Ichinose. Why? I could be dead wrong but she's at the cafe she spots Ichinose and Katsura at another table and she starts to sneak closer grinning...she only seems to get crestfallen not when she sees Ichinose with another woman but when he starts blabbing about the super sonic radar or an upcoming mission. So I figured maybe she was just a bit gossipy or she's a friend of his and is happy he's dating.
I guess it isn't impossible but it seems more like it stems from genuinely being concerned she's a spy, industrial or something more war-like, than simply being jealous of Katsura.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:13 am

daveblackeye15 wrote:I never got the impression Yamamoto had a crush on Ichinose.

It's not very obvious in the film but I think the best indication that she likes him that we get is from the scene I mentioned. She's clearly upset when Ichinose storms off after she upsets him.

Also, as noted by Peter H. Brothers in his book on Honda, in the final "curtain call," Yamamoto and Ichinose stand next to each other but there is a very sizable gap between them, which he believes symbolizes the chasm between them caused by Katsura. I think that's a pretty valid reading of that staging since that's the only huge space between the assembled characters. Interestingly, Katsura's (uncovered) head occupies part of the space between them.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:21 am

Never realized she was at the end.
Mind you me not seeing anything between them or from her to him is really funny since this is coming from me where I ship Mark and Chen from King of the Monsters because she grabbed his hand suddenly in the sub.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”