King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by Dv-218 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I personally got a kick out of the framing and shot composition for a lot of the fights. But these sorts of things (whether a fight in a movie is enjoyable) are pretty subjective.
Yeah same, especially in Antarctica. And yep, it's honestly pretty subjective in this case. I myself thought there were plenty of "holy crap" moments, but others have found those fights underwhelming- and I can see why in most cases. And that's fine, we all have different outlooks.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I never said the “holy sh¡t” moments weren’t there, just that they were ruined by how fast they happened, how fast the monsters moved, and the hyperactive camera work.

Like I said, everything felt like it was left on fastforward.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah, one thing I do agree upon is that the pacing of the fights should have been slower. As you said, many moments felt like they happened too fast for their own good. I didn't have a problem with most of these, but it was particularily apparent in several moments in Antarctica and the entire Mexico battle.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Tons of times during the Boston battle, Ghidorah picking Godzilla up and dropping him from the sky was the biggest thing for me that I can remember, wished the scene played out more like Pacific Rim, where it was a HUGE moment, but here it just kinda happens, a 7 second scene at the most.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I actually liked the way the airdrop was handled, was one of the best moments during the battle imo. But yeah, I see what you mean here. Could have had a little more buildup and could have lasted longer too.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Stump Feet wrote:I never said the “holy sh¡t” moments weren’t there, just that they were ruined by how fast they happened, how fast the monsters moved, and the hyperactive camera work.

No worries - you're right and a lot of people agree with what you just said. This board is a little weird and has some members who will argue against obvious and true points for no clear reason. Hopefully it won't discourage you from sticking around the board - you are not required to praise Sloppy Dougherty's KOTM in order to be a member here.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:I never said the “holy sh¡t” moments weren’t there, just that they were ruined by how fast they happened, how fast the monsters moved, and the hyperactive camera work.

No worries - you're right and a lot of people agree with what you just said. This board is a little weird and has some members who will argue against obvious and true points for no clear reason. Hopefully it won't discourage you from sticking around the board - you are not required to praise Sloppy Dougherty's KOTM in order to be a member here.
Nor are you required to hate it in order to align with "obvious and true points" and not be "weird" as Hatebonerbreh would have you believe. It is possible to be ambivalent about it and not swing either way instead of gushing praise with vehement defence or pure vitriolic hatred.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

BARAGONBREH wrote:

Thank you for the warm welcome, I’m sorry for the both of us that the film wasn’t what we wanted.
Long Live The Sting

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Stump Feet wrote:I just feel the movie was void of any standout moments that weren’t ruined by the fast pacing and camera work.

G14 has quite a few “holy sh¡t” moments that worked perfectly because the camera work was perfect and the sense of scale was on point.

Most of G:KOTM’s fights look like they were filmed in fastforward.
Yes, G14 understood the importance of having these massive creatures move relatively slowly to emphasize their weight. The way these things flew around so fast half the movie really evoked SyFy Originals to me, where 300 foot creatures will just skip right across a city in a heartbeat. At least SyFy has an excuse: they're trying to limit the number of frames spent on CGI costs. KOTM was just pure thoughtlessness. Add in the 50 shots-a-minute pace and it starts to, as Kermode said in his review, "shout you to sleep".

Added in 2 minutes 58 seconds:
GuardianGhido wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:

Nor are you required to hate it in order to align with "obvious and true points" and not be "weird" as Hatebonerbreh would have you believe. It is possible to be ambivalent about it and not swing either way instead of gushing praise with vehement defence or pure vitriolic hatred.
1. "Weird" as in the culture of the board is fairly insular. I was not describing any individual member as "weird".

2. Do you really think "Hatebonerbreh" is like, clever? Do you actually think that will catch on all over the Internet as, say, "Sloppy Dougherty" did?
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Couldn’t agree more really, every fight had an awful Pacific Rim Uprising/Transformers vibe to it that I just couldn’t help but feel slightly let down while watching it for the first time…
I was hoping for G14 esq. fights and cinematography and I got the exact opposite of that.
Watching G14 for the first time made my heart beat a little faster during a lot of its scenes, and I just didn’t get that this time…

I don’t mean to sound like an entitled fan at all but I was just so excited for the fights in this movie when I saw the trailers and they were no where near as good as they should have been.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Do you actually think that will catch on all over the Internet as, say, ... erty" did?
You're literally the only person I've ever seen use that phrase

Google searching "sloppy doughtery" and the only result that actually uses that phrase to refer to Mike Doughtery is one of your posts
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

G2000 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Do you actually think that will catch on all over the Internet as, say, ... erty" did?
You're literally the only person I've ever seen use that phrase

Google searching "sloppy doughtery" and the only result that actually uses that phrase to refer to Mike Doughtery is one of your posts
I've seen it here, on Reddit, YouTube, etc.

But you're right, mainstream outlets do not use the "Sloppy" moniker for Dougherty. They prefer other monikers, such as "lazy-ass".

Added in 2 minutes :
Stump Feet wrote:Couldn’t agree more really, every fight had an awful Pacific Rim Uprising/Transformers vibe to it that I just couldn’t help but feel slightly let down while watching it for the first time…
I was hoping for G14 esq. fights and cinematography and I got the exact opposite of that.
Watching G14 for the first time made my heart beat a little faster during a lot of its scenes, and I just didn’t get that this time…

I don’t mean to sound like an entitled fan at all but I was just so excited for the fights in this movie and they were no where near as good as they should have been.
You're not being entitled at all and I completely agree with you. You are identifying the main problem with the movie. It wanted to be a movie just about the fights and spectacle. That's fine - but when you do that, the fights and spectacle better be stunning. This movie was seriously lacking in the "stunning" scenes department. There was a lot of potential for it, but they got interrupted with snap zooms, distracting pans, narrow shots and cartoonish CGI.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Do you actually think that will catch on all over the Internet as, say, "Sloppy Dougherty" did?
I don’t know, I think the real question is- will “Adam Stinkard” catch on after Godzilla vs. Kong? :lol:
Long Live The Sting

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Stump Feet wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Do you actually think that will catch on all over the Internet as, say, "Sloppy Dougherty" did?
I don’t know, I think the real question is- will “Adam Stinkard” catch on after Godzilla vs. Kong? :lol:
AFTER GVK? It already has caught on/
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Stump Feet wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
I like that!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I've literally heard no one call Mike Dougherty "Sloppy" except for you.

Quite pretentious to think it "caught on all over the internet" because you said it.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:I've seen it here, on Reddit, YouTube, etc.
Searching all of Reddit gets exactly two results, both in the Godzilla subreddit, neither of which actually use the phrase (the only use of the term "sloppy" on either page is a snippet of a negative Indiewire review referring to the film as a whole rather than any specific attack on Doughtery)
Can't find it on any of the 4chan archives either

This is kind of silly man
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

_JNavs_ wrote:I've literally heard no one call Mike Dougherty "Sloppy" except for you.
Like I said, it's true that others prefer to call him "lazy-ass" which is perhaps a superior synonym for "sloppy". Others prefer "messy". But there are others definitely using my word: "sloppy".

What's really going on here is the straight-up denial of a number of users who have been following my posts since I christened Dougherty "sloppy" over a year ago and implied that film critics knew he had a reputation for sloppiness/laziness/messiness. I was told repeatedly this was BS and that I had made it all up, despite me pointing people toward looking at the reviews of his previous work. Then, when the reviews came out for this movie, these folks could no longer avoid it: I was far from the only one who considered his work sloppy/lazy/messy, as numerous critics called KOTM exactly that.

I don't know why it was so important to these folks for me to end up being wrong on this point, so important that they are willing to pretend the reviews of this film simply never happened. But that's their personal issue, not mine. Sloppy Dougherty's title is well-deserved - though I do wish I had thought of "Lazy-Ass Dougherty" instead.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I've literally heard no one call Mike Dougherty "Sloppy" except for you.
Like I said, it's true that others prefer to call him "lazy-ass" which is perhaps a superior synonym for "sloppy". Others prefer "messy". But there are others definitely using my word: "sloppy".

What's really going on here is the straight-up denial of a number of users who have been following my posts since I christened Dougherty "sloppy" over a year ago and implied that film critics knew he had a reputation for sloppiness/laziness/messiness. I was told repeatedly this was BS and that I had made it all up, despite me pointing people toward looking at the reviews of his previous work. Then, when the reviews came out for this movie, these folks could no longer avoid it: I was far from the only one who considered his work sloppy/lazy/messy, as numerous critics called KOTM exactly that.

I don't know why it was so important to these folks for me to end up being wrong on this point, so important that they are willing to pretend the reviews of this film simply never happened. But that's their personal issue, not mine. Sloppy Dougherty's title is well-deserved - though I do wish I had thought of "Lazy-Ass Dougherty" instead.
Holy crap I just happened to go into this thread and your post is the first I see with ANOTHER mention of Dougherty! Thats like 16 times since yesterday! LOL. You my friend should go outside.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Godzilla21 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:

Holy crap I just happened to go into this thread and your post is the first I see with ANOTHER mention of Dougherty! Thats like 16 times since yesterday! LOL. You my friend should go outside.
Off-topic.