General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I think the reason western fans are ambivalent towards G3 is because it draws from elements of Far East cultures that we’re simply not familiar with. It’s probably the most Japanese Japanese monster movie.
More Japanese than Shin Godzilla?
Yes, I think so, although they're Japanese for different reasons. Shin is a modern Japanese look at the country's political systems and G3 is a film steeped in myths and legends obscure outside China, Japan, etc. While some of the Japanese attitudes, feelings, and political statements expressed in Shin are lost on western viewers, I think that because it does so much to spoof and criticize bureaucratic functions in the face of immediate disaster, a lot of its non-Japanese audience got the gist of it. G3 ambiguously uses real world legends to build its world and give meaning to its characters. The significance of that is lost on viewers who aren't familiar with the Four Chinese Symbols and especially the way they've been interpreted in Japan.
And how have they been interpreted in Japan?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
More Japanese than Shin Godzilla?
Yes, I think so, although they're Japanese for different reasons. Shin is a modern Japanese look at the country's political systems and G3 is a film steeped in myths and legends obscure outside China, Japan, etc. While some of the Japanese attitudes, feelings, and political statements expressed in Shin are lost on western viewers, I think that because it does so much to spoof and criticize bureaucratic functions in the face of immediate disaster, a lot of its non-Japanese audience got the gist of it. G3 ambiguously uses real world legends to build its world and give meaning to its characters. The significance of that is lost on viewers who aren't familiar with the Four Chinese Symbols and especially the way they've been interpreted in Japan.
The films themselves? I don't know. I'm speaking as an American, obviously; it's my opinion that G3 is a much more exotic (Japanese) film than Shin Godzilla for the reasons in my previous comment.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
The films themselves? I don't know. I'm speaking as an American, obviously; it's my opinion that G3 is a much more exotic (Japanese) film than Shin Godzilla for the reasons in my previous comment.
Oh, sorry. I was asking about the four symbols. If their significance and meaning of the four symbols in Japan is easily can be lost on non-Japanese viewers than I'm interested in gaining a bit of insight into it.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Oh, sorry. I was asking about the four symbols. If their significance and meaning of the four symbols in Japan is easily can be lost on non-Japanese viewers than I'm interested in gaining a bit of insight into it.
My bad, man, I get you now. This video really helped me understand what was going on in the film in regards to its use of real world mythology. I highly recommend it to anyone who’s struggled with the more obscure aspects of G3.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Oh, sorry. I was asking about the four symbols. If their significance and meaning of the four symbols in Japan is easily can be lost on non-Japanese viewers than I'm interested in gaining a bit of insight into it.
My bad, man, I get you now. This video really helped me understand what was going on in the film in regards to its use of real world mythology. I highly recommend it to anyone who’s struggled with the more obscure aspects of G3.
Thanks!

(Good lord, all my grammar/word mistakes up there. I hate using a phone to post.)

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I copied and pasted this from the Guardian of the Universe topic. Anyone got opinions on possible monster team up with Gamera?
Yeah I remember really liking Baragon as a kid and finding Guiron fun. Then in middle school I found some more Gamera movies, I think Zigra and Gyaos and didn't like them as much. Then I saw Guardian of the Universe and was like 'whoa damn!'

That said I do appreciate Showa Gamera for being not as tough as Godzilla and using his head. Y'know someone asked a web master long ago if they could have one enemy of Gamera's, Showa or Heisei, become an ally down the line which monster? They picked Guiron and I saw a fan work about a year ago where Gamera was swinging Guiron like a sword and I loved it. Can't find it at the moment but I found this and it seems a little less of a team up but still pretty cool.

https://www.deviantart.com/tohdraws/art ... -535712126

As for me...well call me crazy...but maybe Iris. I dunno but compared to Legion, a foreign creature that could never co-exist with Gamera, Iris is his enemy and yet at least they are both Earth creatures. Iris is considerably ambiguous compared to Legion or Baragon or evil bad guy Viras and Zigra. Perhaps Iris could set aside their hatred of Gamera briefly to team up with him. Y'know the classic rival team up situation. Oh goes imagine if a whole bunch of Legion arrived with Viras and Zigra ushering them on as their blind attack dogs to help turn the tide in a massive battle Iris can make the Hyper Gyaos join in the attack and we have a giant melee with Gamera and Iris leading the charge. Of course once the threat was over Gamera and Iris would have to rest and prepare for that final battle.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I thought Iris was suppose to team up with Gamera before Anyana taught him hate. Anyway I'd say Barugon could be an ally.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

So someone already shared this idea and thought I'd post the idea here.

Picture this.

An DreamWorks animated film on Gamera.

Would that work?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Please no
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So someone already shared this idea and thought I'd post the idea here.

Picture this.

Would that work?
No, that sounds like garbage

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Idk, Gamera vs. The Boss Baby...
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So someone already shared this idea and thought I'd post the idea here.

Picture this.

Would that work?
I think it would! :D I enjoy Dreamworks movies, get the right writers and you could pull it off. :)

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Don't encourage him :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Holy shiit......... I actually kinda wouldn't mind seeing a Dreamworks Gamera film. I mean it's freaking Dreamworks.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

While I don't really agree/see the point of a Dreamworks animated movie, it did get me thinking that Gamera would be a prime candidate for a 1980's-set period piece with Stranger Things-like vibes. But instead of horror focus, it'd be kaiju. So Gamera: The Brave with 1980's flare and pop.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Honestly, I don't care if it's animated, Hollywood, or Japan; I just want to see something new come out of the Gamera camp. It's been too long.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Maritonic wrote:Honestly, I don't care if it's animated, Hollywood, or Japan; I just want to see something new come out of the Gamera camp. It's been too long.
This is true.....

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

A Dreamworks Gamera film would be nice, unlikely as it is. However i feel we need a more live action Gamera series from Kadokawa before they extend rights over to the states.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Maritonic wrote:Honestly, I don't care if it's animated, Hollywood, or Japan; I just want to see something new come out of the Gamera camp. It's been too long.
You stole my comment jerkoff
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.