Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by GuardianGhido »

dillonking55 wrote: One disappointment is not an end to a franchise & Legendary/WB know that.
Heck, didn't at least some of them even say so?

KOTM is not even a bad movie really, it just came out in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hopefull the time and place for GvK will be much better. (Mulan will damage it, but I don't think Endgame will stick around by then)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

MorgolKing wrote:Image
I wish.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

vibramrunner wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
vibramrunner wrote:Curious to see how the new Chucky does. Not the same genre obviously, but has several (7 I believe?) sequels and reboots since its inception. Also currently has the same Metacritic score as KOTM coincidentally. If enough non-Mouse House IPs continue to lag, how long until we might start seeing industry-wide changes?
What kind of changes?
Changes as in, green-lighting less of them I guess. Or maybe being more selective .
How do you suggest they do that? There's not exactly a handy guide to knowing which movies will be a success and which will bomb. Greenlighting fewer movies means fewer hits as well as fewer bombs, and really equals less money for them period. And what makes you think they aren't being more selective as is? We only see the end results, they don't get the benefit of hindsight.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Plus, KotM is probably gonna finish up in the $400+ Mil range, not a run away success, but not nearly as bad some of these other franchise films (cough*Dark Phoenix* cough) that came out that won't even hit 100Mil domestic.

As long as they knock it out of the park with the trailers/marketing, GvK will be fine. Going forward (if we get more films after), they need to pick better release dates & budget the films closer to Rampage/Bumblebee/The Meg.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

dillonking55 wrote:Plus, KotM is probably gonna finish up in the $400+ Mil range, not a run away success, but not nearly as bad some of these other franchise films (cough*Dark Phoenix* cough) that came out that won't even hit 100Mil domestic.
It's been easy to forget that, when all is said and done, KOTM is probably going to be Warner Brothers' second or third highest grossing movie this year. I'm confident it's going to beat Shazam! (which only made $363M worldwide, KOTM is pretty close behind it now with time to spare) and the only other thing coming out I think will make more is It: Chapter Two (the first made $700M).

And like you said, in a summer where anything not backed by Disney has floundered it's really hasn't done so bad in comparison.
dillonking55 wrote:As long as they knock it out of the park with the trailers/marketing, GvK will be fine. Going forward (if we get more films after), they need to pick better release dates & budget the films closer to Rampage/Bumblebee/The Meg.
I think keeping the budgets more in check is a good idea, and keeping them to the same range as Rampage/Bumblebee/The Meg works. I'm so glad those three came along and proved you don't need $150M to $200M+ to do something like a Godzilla movie, it can be done for $120M to $140M.

I remember way back when, after Legendary announced the project but before we really knew anything about G14, I argued the movie could be (and should be) done in this same budget range. I used the 2010 Clash of the Titans as my example, saying how it had been done for $125M, made $493M worldwide, and ended up getting a sequel - I forget why but everybody dismissed the idea at the time. :? So I'm happy Rampage, Bumblebee, and The Meg came along to prove my point.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Vakanai wrote: How do you suggest they do that? There's not exactly a handy guide to knowing which movies will be a success and which will bomb. Greenlighting fewer movies means fewer hits as well as fewer bombs, and really equals less money for them period. And what makes you think they aren't being more selective as is? We only see the end results, they don't get the benefit of hindsight.
Off the top of my head, I would suggest becoming more analytic, conducting more preliminary polling. Recall that KOTM was always tracking in the low 40's-50's for opening weekend, and a lot of people (including myself) thought that was crazy. In retrospect, I wonder if Legendary was a little behind the times there (or maybe they had similar figures, and there was no reasonable recourse).

Another idea would be to produce more original content. (cut to a room full of Hollywood suits laughing their @$$es off)
Last edited by vibramrunner on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

vibramrunner wrote:Another idea would be to produce more original content. (cut to a room full of Hollywood suits laughing their @$$es off)
Considering Hollywood has NEVER done that (I like to point out that the Top 10 films of 1919 were almost ENTIRELY adaptations and remakes), that's not happening. :lol:
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

First, I don't know what the budget was. Some sources say $170 million others say $200 million.

Secondly, I don't see how much money was spent on this movie. The action scenes were dark and the monster screen time wasn't as much, as say Pacific Rim (which had a $190 million budget).

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

MorgolKing wrote:First, I don't know what the budget was. Some sources say $170 million others say $200 million.

Secondly, I don't see how much money was spent on this movie. The action scenes were dark and the monster screen time wasn't as much, as say Pacific Rim (which had a $190 million budget).
Considering every official source has said KOTM cost $170M and the higher numbers have, thus far, been little more than rumors, I'm sticking with that.

I grant it might be as high as $185M since that's what K:SI was and Deadline reporting rumors it was "Closer to $185M than $170M" and "Just under $185M", but those are unverified rumors coming from one source (and it seems everywhere else just repeated some version of what Deadline said). I've no idea where this $200M number came from, that seems to have magically popped up on Wikipedia on its own.

Like I said, though, somewhere in the $170M to $185M range for GvK seems most likely to me based on what we know and what the other two were budgeted at.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Looks like GvsKong will have to make around 525m WW for the the Monsterverse to have 2 billion worldwide. Or 500m average.

SHOULD be easily obtainable but KotMs performance has to make you a bit nervous.
Last edited by Cookson on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I hope that 2 billion is enough to continue the series.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Gothicserpent wrote:I hope that 2 billion is enough to continue the series.
there is no way this film is making 2 billion dollars. i know i said it would do better but i doubt it's gonna make THAT much.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
there is no way this film is making 2 billion dollars. i know i said it would do better but i doubt it's gonna make THAT much.
I think he means as a franchise. The Monsterverse is already at about 1.2 Billion dollars.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
I think he means as a franchise. The Monsterverse is already at about 1.2 Billion dollars.
oh... :oops:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

If we add KOTM’s totals then GvK would reach 400 million in the BO if the Monsterverse as a whole reaches 2 billion. So no, that’s not enough.
Long Live The King

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
$1.47 Billion, actually. :P
Hokmuto wrote:
If we add KOTM’s totals then GvK would reach 400 million in the BO if the Monsterverse as a whole reaches 2 billion. So no, that’s not enough.
I think you miscounted there. To reach $2B from where the CU is now GvK would need to make at least as much as G14 ($525M, like Cookson said in the first place) which would easily be enough.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Pkmatrix wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
$1.47 Billion, actually. :P
Hokmuto wrote:
I think you miscounted there. To reach $2B from where the CU is now GvK would need to make at least as much as G14 ($525M, like Cookson said in the first place) which would easily be enough.
Thanks for the correction! I used JNavs' number, so that's how I miscalculated
Long Live The King

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just want to pop in and say the monsterverse is on pace to out gross the mcu through 4 films if Godzilla vs Kong pushes the total gross through 2b.

Also the film has out grossed The Incredible Hulk and the First Avenger.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote:Just want to pop in and say the monsterverse is on pace to out gross the mcu through 4 films if Godzilla vs Kong pushes the total gross through 2b.

wait, it grossed out the Avengers? wow.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

tyrantgoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Just want to pop in and say the monsterverse is on pace to out gross the mcu through 4 films if Godzilla vs Kong pushes the total gross through 2b.

wait, it grossed out the Avengers? wow.
Captain America: The First Avenger is what he referred to :D
Long Live The King