MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Sonic
Interpol Agent

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by Sonic »

I guess it all comes down to how gvk will do at the box office...

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Look... KotM definitely did not perform to expectations. It’s at the low end of projections box office wise.

The Monsterverse needs to be made with budgets in the 100-120m range with box office totals reaching a minimal 400m worldwide.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Cookson wrote:Look... KotM definitely did not perform to expectations. It’s at the low end of projections box office wise.

The Monsterverse needs to be made with budgets in the 100-120m range with box office totals reaching a minimal 400m worldwide.
Yep! And as The Meg, Bumblebee, & Rampage have shown, it can be done on smaller budgets. They also need to pick better release dates. It may have worked for G14, but times have changed & it's getting more competitive & harder for films to break out.

There is still potential with this franchise & GvK is in a much better position to open big than KotM.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Cookson wrote:Look... KotM definitely did not perform to expectations. It’s at the low end of projections box office wise.

Yep, I agree.

I'd be a little more generous and say more in the $120M to $140M range (as that's where The Meg, Rampage, Bumblebee, and Clash of the Titans all were), but after 14 years of Hollywood giant monster movies - going back to Kong '05 - it's pretty clear now that outside the Jurassic Park/World franchise (which has the added star power of A-list stars and the Spielberg/Williams names still attached), movies in this genre seem to top out at $550M to $600M worldwide and average around $400M to $450M. That may not be true forever (the Jurassic movies pull a Billion each, after all), but that's how it's been thus far.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Exactly! If nothing else, compared to other "types" of films (super hero, comedy, musical biopics, etc.) Kaiju films seem to be pretty consistent in hitting between $400-500 mil or more.

I think the MonsterVerse can still bring in an audience. They just need to manage the budgets a bit better.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Monsterverse just needs to pick a better time to release. Had they moved Kotm up into February I think it would have done better. I believe people will go see movies no matter what time of year it is.

Added in 58 seconds:
I don't know where the CGI was but they could have done KOTM in Decemeber, Aquaman in February or March and Shazam in May as it was the lowest budget.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

miguelnuva wrote:Added in 58 seconds:
I don't know where the CGI was but they could have done KOTM in Decemeber, Aquaman in February or March and Shazam in May as it was the lowest budget.

The film was fully complete in November 2018. There really wasn't any reason it could make it's March release or they could have moved it up to February.
Godzilla KOTM had a lot of thing's against it going in so I am not surprised it did as poorly as it has.
- Mixed reactions to the first Godzilla
- 5 year gap between films
- Marketing started way to early (10 months ahead of release)
- None of the other trailers were as good as the first
- Pushing back the release date from March to May
- Competition against a very front loaded blockbuster summer
- Poor critical response (Although general audiences approval is better then G-2014)

In my opinion for Godzilla vs Kong they should start promotion between September or November 2019. Got to hope for a better opening weekend then KOTM and Godzilla vs Kong will have 2 weeks before Mulan comes and tramples the box office.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:- Pushing back the release date from March to May
I think that was for the better tbh.

It would had been sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Endgame. Look what that did to Shazam! I'd argue it would had done even worst there. I'm glad they actually moved it.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Poor critical response (Although general audiences approval is better then G-2014)
And even then, that's not saying a ton. Shin Godzilla did better critically and with audiences. Both Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island did better critically. Audience approval is slowly falling, although it's still doing quite well. Godzilla vs. Kong has to be a quality film to make up for this shortcoming.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:- Pushing back the release date from March to May
I think that was for the better tbh.

It would had been sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Endgame. Look what that did to Shazam! I'd argue it would had done even worst there. I'm glad they actually moved it.
Shazam was sandwiched because not a lot of people wanted to see it at that point.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

KotM is going to top off around 385. It might have a shot at seeing some kind of profit when you include merchandise, home video and tv deals.... but you shouldn’t have to combine that stuff. A major disappointment for sure.

They need to experiment after GvsKong. I know it’s gonna sound weird... but something more human oriented... good cast with one the money shots when you show the monsters. I just don’t know though... Kaiju films are just hard to do for mass appeal.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

One thing about a cinematic universe is, it isn't usually dropped after a misstep or two. I'm sure Legendary had big plans in mind when they set up the whole thing so I doubt they'll can the whole thing after one movie performs badly in the box office (very understably so as well considering Endgame fatigue, an overloaded release period and Aladdin as competition). DCEU took heavy hits after BVS' failure and Justice League's bomb, yet the idea hasn't been completely given up and discarded. Even the MCU had a few disappointments in it's history (though having no other immensely popular cinematic universes around helped it gain ground fast). So I see no reason Legendary shouldn't perservere with the Monsterverse, especailly considering the first two movies could somewhat be considered successes.

All in all, I doubt we'll see the Monsterverse wither and die right after GvK. Even if the movies stop for a while, the ideas and the universe itself aren't just going to disappear from existence and could possibly even be picked back up later down the line. And hey, if GvK manages to do well with it's distance from Endgame and slightly less frightening competition, we might get more movies too.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

If Godzilla vs Kong makes under 400$ million or only 430$ million then it'll be the end of the Monsterverse unless they start cutting the budget back severely. Anything 600$ million plus it will continue.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

I'm pretty much expecting Mechagodzilla.
Spoiler:
After name-dropping the Oxygen Destroyer (I think that's the term)
, the military should play a bigger role in future films as to give it a bit more substance, like a premonition of things to come. Possibly mixing the Millennium Mechagodzilla and Heisei Mechagodzilla to make it well-rounded as a fighter would be best for this universe.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

HillyHulk wrote:I'm pretty much expecting Mechagodzilla.
Spoiler:
After name-dropping the Oxygen Destroyer (I think that's the term)
, the military should play a bigger role in future films as to give it a bit more substance, like a premonition of things to come. Possibly mixing the Millennium Mechagodzilla and Heisei Mechagodzilla to make it well-rounded as a fighter would be best for this universe.
The thing is, there's no background for it. One minute, they're just using conventional weaponry and nuclear warheads. 5 years later, they unexpectedly have fictional chemical weapons of mass destruction, maser cannons, and Mechagodzilla? 5 years isn't enough to make such a massive leap. You can't just change something like that so quick and not come up with an explanation. So yes, I agree that the military should play a bigger role in future films to explain and expand upon the MonsterVerse.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

After doing a quick bit of number crunching, the Monsterverse is actually on par with Phase One of the MCU thus far, and if KotM tops out at 385 million it'll actually be ahead. This is pitting Godzilla, Skull Island, and King of the Monsters against Iron Man, The Increadible Hulk, and Iron Man 2.

I do agree that Godzilla vs Kong needs to do better than KotM, however chances are very good it will because of Kong.

But in my time lurking around here watching the dramatics I have to say some of you are blowing it out of proportion saying that KotM under performing has killed the Monsterverse. $1.4 billion over three films was enough to keep Marvel going, and it's enough to continue the Monsterverse.
Last edited by Huan_of_Valinor on Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:After doing a quick bit of number crunching, the Monsterverse is actually on par with Phase One of the MCU thus far, and if KotM tops out at 385 million it'll actually be ahead. This is pitting Godzilla, Skull Island, and King of the Monsters against Iron Man, The Increadible Hulk, and Iron Man 2.

I do agree that Godzilla vs Kong needs to do better than KotM, however chances are very good it will because of Kong.

But in my time lurking around here watching the dramatics I have to say some of you are blowing it out of proportion saying that KotM under performing has killed the Monsterverse. $1.4 billion over three films was enough to keep Marvel going, and it's enough to continue the Monsterverse.
let's hope so my friend...

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:After doing a quick bit of number crunching, the Monsterverse is actually on par with Phase One of the MCU thus far, and if KotM tops out at 385 million it'll actually be ahead. This is pitting Godzilla, Skull Island, and King of the Monsters against Iron Man, The Increadible Hulk, and Iron Man 2.

Yeah, if you just look at the numbers or if you ignore KOTM and look at the first two films, you can see that the Monsterverse can still make plenty of money. In fact, IIRC it's Legendary and Warner Bros biggest earner after Detective Pikachu right now.

Thanks for the number crunching and positivity, dude! Reminds me of PKMatrix.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I like the optimism.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

GuardianGhido wrote:

Yeah, if you just look at the numbers or if you ignore KOTM and look at the first two films, you can see that the Monsterverse can still make plenty of money. In fact, IIRC it's Legendary and Warner Bros biggest earner after Detective Pikachu right now.

Thanks for the number crunching and positivity, dude! Reminds me of PKMatrix.
That's the thing, you don't even need to ignore KotM because it's out-performed Incredible Hulk, which made ~ $263 million on a $150 million budget. So the possibility of the Monsterverse making money is indeed still there, and as others have repeated several times, many of the movies released post-Endgame haven't done well except Aladdin.

None of the MCU broke a billion until Avengers 1, and Captain America: The First Avenger didn't even make it to $400 million (Even Thor made more). All Godzilla vs Kong has to do is make decent money and we're fine comparatively.

Thanks for the compliment :huge:
Last edited by Huan_of_Valinor on Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.