Final Wars: Why The Hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Re: Final Wars: Why The Hate?

Post by latinothor »

Just don't be insulting others who like/dislike the movie.
This ^

I apologize if Pitch felt that I insulted him. Wasn't my intention. I did call some of his statements moronic, as I am way far from being a teen or even young, and still love GFW. It wasn't meant as an insult to his persona, it was directly towards some of his comments, or the content behind it. The doll part was done in jest, as some of his statements were borderline comedic (Yes, I did get a chuckle). Again, my apologies. Won't do it again, but just mind a tad little bit what you say, cool? Let's keep it civil and even if we don't agree on things, we can focus a bit more on what we like, and the common ground that is Godzilla. :mrgreen:

I did call Goji 'Mr Dingus', and that was an equal response to what he had called me, without any provocation on my part. It was wrong of of me, I accept that. :oops:

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

:roll:

Don’t backpeddle, you knew what you were doing.
But that’s fine, a mod stepped in so it’s cool.

I’m not catering to you just because you don’t like what I say, as you’re free to express your undying love, I’m totally free to express my criticisms.
Just learn to stop replying to every response with “that’s moronic” and we’ll be dandy.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

This movie is literally great, memorable characters, great kaiju AND human action (even though the kaiju action could be longer). Bottom line, I have no idea why people hate this movie.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I'm one of the few that is more in the middle with Final Wars. The reaction is always love or hate, and as I've said before, I can see both sides.

The movie has flaws (too much going on, a Minilla subplot that feels pointless, some confusing elements), but its ambition and effort kind of makes up for it (largest monster cast ever, most dynamic human action of any Godzilla film, and the attempt to basically reference Godzilla's entire history).

Final Wars has never been one of my favorites, but it is an interesting entry and one that is fun to pop on once in a while. And hey, I'll never accuse it of being boring or lazy.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

It's easy to understand why the movie is hated. It's a bad riff of The Matrix, the plot is recycled from previous G-Movies, Godzilla takes a back seat to the mutant vs alien war, and the director is too stylish with the long mutant vs alien combat scenes. The Minilla character arc is forced in the movie. It was billed as the 50th anniversary and last movie, so expectations were high.

On the other side of the coin I could see why it's loved: the roster of monsters is massive, the cast is sexy, the atmosphere and costumes are hip, the battles feel like a homage to Showa, and Don Frye was an interesting pick.

Like quite a few G movies, it feels like the main plot was created for a different movie and Godzilla was inserted into the film.

All the negatives aside, I envision myself rewatching clips from Final Wars more in the future.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Shobijin wrote:It's easy to understand why the movie is hated. It's a bad riff of The Matrix, the plot is recycled from previous G-Movies, Godzilla takes a back seat to the mutant vs alien war, and the director is too stylish with the long mutant vs alien combat scenes. The Minilla character arc is forced in the movie. It was billed as the 50th anniversary and last movie, so expectations were high.

On the other side of the coin I could see why it's loved: the roster of monsters is massive, the cast is sexy, the atmosphere and costumes are hip, the battles feel like a homage to Showa, and Don Frye was an interesting pick.

Like quite a few G movies, it feels like the main plot was created for a different movie and Godzilla was inserted into the film.

All the negatives aside, I envision myself rewatching clips from Final Wars more in the future.
This summarizes it quite well. As an anniversary film, Final Wars doesn't do much well at all; it homages completely unrelated films, it has a completely off tone in comparison to the other Godzilla films, the pacing and storytelling overall are incredibly strange... you understand the idea.

Final Wars seems to be divisive among Godzilla fans, but in my experience, older fans tend to dislike it, while younger fans are the reverse. All things considered, it does make sense; not only is Final Wars, bluntly put, incredibly juvenile, younger fans also have the benefit of hindsight. In other words, Final Wars is simply another one of the older Godzilla movies for them, while older fans may have been under the impression that Final Wars would set a new standard for Godzilla at the time. Fortunately, this has since been proven to be incorrect.

When all is said and done, I find Final Wars to be enjoyable enough if you are willing to turn your brain off, and accept it for what it is. Even so, I completely understand why many dislike it, even if they try to enjoy it.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Final Wars is not Juvenile. It just doesn’t care about even trying to be serious.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Throwing GINO in there to be massacred by Da Real King was pretty immature.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

This is still the best Millenium movie, easily. Only one aside from GMK that I ever rewatch regularly.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:This is still the best Millenium movie, easily. Only one aside from GMK that I ever rewatch regularly.
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

RIP Evan.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:This is still the best Millenium movie, easily. Only one aside from GMK that I ever rewatch regularly.
Yes. 2000 is a boring, uninspired film that feels like it’s trying to be a Heisei film without any of the quality those films provided.
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GMK, despite being one of the most overrated Godzilla films, is the best Millennium film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Yes. 2000 is a boring, uninspired film that feels like it’s trying to be a Heisei film without any of the quality those films provided.
Yet it's still a better film than GFW since it doesn't have mindless action, boring fight scenes, uninspired villains, an unoriginal plot, and shameless Hollywood "tributes"
Last edited by Godzillian on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Godzillian wrote:Yet it's still a better film than GFW since it doesn't have mindless action, boring fight scenes, uninspired villains, an unoriginal plot, and shameless Hollywood "tributes"
That's how I feel about the 2nd half of the Heisei series and G2K, but view GFW as something refreshing.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzillian wrote:shameless Hollywood "tributes"
Not to undermine your point, because I believe for its faults G2K is a better movie than Final Wars, but I think there are actually a number of shots and scenes in G2K that are clearly meant to reference G98.

The first example is admittedly pretty tenuous, and it's not at all obvious in the screengrabs I had to settle for either. But the other three are pretty clear cut to me. Take the second set for example: in both movies, our heroes are face to face with Godzilla and accidentally take a photo of Godzilla as a nervous reaction. (Toho also apes Jurassic Park by having Godzilla exhale on the windshield, ala the T-Rex.)

I also think the Millennian UFO's weapon that blows the skyscraper up from top to bottom could be a visual nod to Independence Day, but I'm also willing to accept that may have been a coincidence.

Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

GojiDog wrote:I'm one of the few that is more in the middle with Final Wars. The reaction is always love or hate, and as I've said before, I can see both sides.

The movie has flaws (too much going on, a Minilla subplot that feels pointless, some confusing elements), but its ambition and effort kind of makes up for it (largest monster cast ever, most dynamic human action of any Godzilla film, and the attempt to basically reference Godzilla's entire history).

Final Wars has never been one of my favorites, but it is an interesting entry and one that is fun to pop on once in a while. And hey, I'll accuse it of being boring or lazy.
I am with you on this. This movie is not hated by myself but is far from a personal favorite as well. I think one of the reasons it is so hated is because this was supposed to be some epic finale before Godzilla got put on hold. It is a mediocre finale, but if you treat it as a standalone movie without that context and throw logic out the window it has its moments. Watching Zilla get owned never gets old.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

I can understand the hate and as the 50th anniversary film it isn't as good as it ought to be. That being said I do love the movie for being balls to the walls crazy while also being pretty damn entertaining. As much as I wish the fights lasted longer I do love this incarnation of Godzilla, he's probably my second favorite after Showa Godzilla. Godzilla movies are great because there are thought provoking, meaningful films that touch upon the issues of the day. Then there are movies that are just meant to be entertaining. This movie falls into the later category and there's nothing wrong with that if you ask me.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

It´s not all bad in GWF but the biggest contra is the respectless handling with all the kaiju who attended Godzilla on his very successful way.
Anguirus, Rodan and Hedorah came too short i.m.o.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Terasawa wrote:
Godzillian wrote:shameless Hollywood "tributes"
Not to undermine your point, because I believe for its faults G2K is a better movie than Final Wars, but I think there are actually a number of shots and scenes in G2K that are clearly meant to reference G98 [...]
Don't forget this scene-

which apes this one, with the same camera angle and Godzilla sweeping past camera

IIRC, some preliminary G2000 designs had also 98-like elements, such as a row of spines lining the throat
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

I believe that the Hate is due to the great amount of action, the short battles and the little screen time Godzilla has in the film. Still, I do not see why they hate the movie, but who am I to question that.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan