GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by Maritonic »

Living Corpse wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:So KotM is basically confirming Skull Island as Monster Island.
Been saying Skull Island would turn into Monster Island for years but people told me the other monsters would ruin it's ecosystem.
Admittedly I've been a doubter, but if the other Titans were obeying Ghidorah's calls to destroy everything, maybe the Titans are answering Godzilla's to attack Skull Island and Kong? It's established they have a history, so.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by GuardianGhido »

Maritonic wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:So KotM is basically confirming Skull Island as Monster Island.
Been saying Skull Island would turn into Monster Island for years but people told me the other monsters would ruin it's ecosystem.
Admittedly I've been a doubter, but if the other Titans were obeying Ghidorah's calls to destroy everything, maybe the Titans are answering Godzilla's to attack Skull Island and Kong? It's established they have a history, so.
I doubt Godzilla would go that far. Kong so far isn't really an archnemesis like King Ghidorah was, just a rival. And even then I don't think Godzilla would sic his titan army on Kong and would fight it out himself with the army as backup only if needed. Most likely he's sending the titans there so that he can keep them in check easier but Kong don't want that so they'll fight over the land.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
I doubt Godzilla would go that far. Kong so far isn't really an archnemesis like King Ghidorah was, just a rival. Most likely he's sending the titans there so that he can keep them in check easier but Kong don't want that so they'll fight over the land.
We know nothing about Kong and Godzilla's history (to my knowledge) except cave paintings near identical to the ones depicting Godzilla and Ghidorah. So, it's not outside the realm of possibility.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Maritonic wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I doubt Godzilla would go that far. Kong so far isn't really an archnemesis like King Ghidorah was, just a rival. Most likely he's sending the titans there so that he can keep them in check easier but Kong don't want that so they'll fight over the land.
We know nothing about Kong and Godzilla's history (to my knowledge) except cave paintings near identical to the ones depicting Godzilla and Ghidorah. So, it's not outside the realm of possibility.
Technically it's not even THE Kong, but one of his ancestors or another member of his species. Kong was nowhere near that big when little.

Heck it might not even be the same Godzilla in the cave painting.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Maritonic wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Suppose so but so far Kong doesn't seem like the type of titan who would threaten the balance of the world so much that Godzilla would drop everything to get rid of him. Hell, the current Kong and Godzilla haven't even interacted with each other meaningfully so far.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I don't think the Gojira species and the Kong species are natural enemies, and fighting one another is just as alien as fighting King Ghidorah (alien in the sense of outside their ecosystem, not literal aliens like Ghidorah). It's possible that conflicts between the two species was rare, hack that cave painting might be depicting the first time it's ever happened and the upcoming movie is the second time.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Wonder if we get a flashback to when Kongs family were going to war with the Skullcrawlers, and maybe his dad or mom are the last one left trying frantically to find Kong. Then the classic *Thoom, Thoom, Thoom* happens, with a Godzilla showing up and annihilating the last Kong for whatever reason you can think of, while baby kong sees it in the distance.

Or it could just be a painting of how they're constantly Warring Kings.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

*Conversations about whether Godzilla and Kong have a motive to fight each other on their own*
Jonah: Image
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:Wonder if we get a flashback to when Kongs family were going to war with the Skullcrawlers, and maybe his dad or mom are the last one left trying frantically to find Kong. Then the classic *Thoom, Thoom, Thoom* happens, with a Godzilla showing up and annihilating the last Kong for whatever reason you can think of, while baby kong sees it in the distance.

Unless they wanna retcon the tie in comic (always possible) Kong's parents died the night he was born. His mom gave birth in the middle of battle, hid him in a cave, and went to help the father. Kong watch the Skullcrawlers kill his parents.

But here's an interesting thing, when the Iwi came to the island, Kong's parents were the only Kongs left. So if that cave painting came from Skull Island (it's possible it came from somewhere else) then the painting might be showing his mom or dad fighting Godzilla.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Living Corpse wrote:So if that cave painting came from Skull Island (it's possible it came from somewhere else) then the painting might be showing his mom or dad fighting Godzilla.
That would be a neat meta acknowledgement that Kong won the first time round.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Until any official canon tidbit proves otherwise, the only valid explanation is that the Kong Godzilla seemingly fought in the cave painting is current Kong's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

_JNavs_ wrote:Wonder if we get a flashback to when Kongs family were going to war with the Skullcrawlers, and maybe his dad or mom are the last one left trying frantically to find Kong. Then the classic *Thoom, Thoom, Thoom* happens, with a Godzilla showing up and annihilating the last Kong for whatever reason you can think of, while baby kong sees it in the distance.

Nope because the Skullcrawlers killed the parents.

Speaking of them, they were very large in comparison to the adult Kong’s. I guess officially Marlow was wrong about the “Big One”.
Long Live The King

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Hokmuto wrote:

Nope because the Skullcrawlers killed the parents.

Speaking of them, they were very large in comparison to the adult Kong’s. I guess officially Marlow was wrong about the “Big One”.
That reminds me, remember how Skull Island was supposed to give us more Kong backstory? Then we hardly got any. Seeing the death of his parents would've been great to put in the film.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I hope this movie follows the example set by Kong: Skull Island and gives us some human action. As in, action-adventure stuff, rather than just trying to run/hide/save each other. With the official synopsis mentioning a human conspiracy, we might get some (perhaps unintentional) Showa-throwback shootout action. Meanwhile outdoor set photos (with actors during the daytime) have me excited to see a movie that isn’t afraid to let the sun shine down on the proceedings.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Anyone think an older Conrad and Weaver may appear in this film? I think that'd be great to tie into Kong: Skull Island more given Brooks appeared in King of the Monsters.

Still also hoping for an older Marlowe to make a cameo watching Godzilla and Kong fighting on TV making the comment of "What's a god to a king" and being one of the only few who believes Kong has what it takes to win.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Anyone think an older Conrad and Weaver may appear in this film? I think that'd be great to tie into Kong: Skull Island more given Brooks appeared in King of the Monsters.

Still also hoping for an older Marlowe to make a cameo watching Godzilla and Kong fighting on TV making the comment of "What's a god to a king" and being one of the only few who believes Kong has what it takes to win.
now THAT would be cool! certainly put a spin on what a lot of people would think in the situation.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I also think it only makes sense for Conrad and Weaver to appear in the film because last we saw them was in the post-credits of Kong: Skull Island and it'd be weird not to know whatever happened to them after since they were given jobs by Monarch. Especially if this film is indeed the last in the MonsterVerse otherwise if not I'm fine with them not appearing and being in future installment.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Anyone think an older Conrad and Weaver may appear in this film? I think that'd be great to tie into Kong: Skull Island more given Brooks appeared in King of the Monsters.

Great theory except none of the principal cast matches an older Conrad or Weaver unless you count the possiblity of Frances McDormand but last time I checked she turned it down but I'd love to be wrong though
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Living Corpse wrote:I'm not. When both Godzilla AND Mothra are gaining up on King Ghidorah, nows his chance to backstab KG and become the Trifacta Earth Monsters like in GTHHM.
This is one thing I really felt was missing and would have made KOTM perfect for me (in addition to more city destruction). It would have upped the tension and better shown how much of a threat Ghidorah was. One of the staff reviews brought up a good point: Ghidorah might kind of come off as a wuss in this movie if you don’t know what’s going on. He retreats from the first fight for no apparent reason (I’ve been told that was because of the orca but I didn’t catch that on my first viewing), loses a head in the second, and goes down to fast in the final battle when Godzilla gets his power up. The only time we get to see his true strength is when he drops Godzilla from the atmosphere. A trifecta earth monster attack would have solidified his threat level and provided an awesome visual spectacle.
miguelnuva wrote:As cool as the fusion was imagine if Rodan would have thought Mothra was his Alpha do to her winning and then helps Godzilla beat Ghidorah instead. Or better yet Rodan was pretending to serve Ghidorah so it could lure Ghidorah into a 3 on 1 battle far from the other Titans.
Either of these would have been good, and it’s different enough from how it went down in GTTHM it wouldn’t feel like a remake. Hopefully if Ghidorah does return in GvK or later we get a team up like this.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Great theory except none of the principal cast matches an older Conrad or Weaver unless you count the possiblity of Frances McDormand but last time I checked she turned it down but I'd love to be wrong though
Has the entire cast for this film been revealed already though?