Top 10 Godzilla Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: Top 10 Godzilla Films

Post by GojiDog »

My elite 8 are:

1) Gojira (1954) = Godzilla at his most pure. The definitive Godzilla film and my personal favorite monster movie of all time.

2) Godzilla Vs. Destroyah (1995) = Love the ticking time bomb aspect, the callbacks to the original film, and the finale is one of the finest moments in the series. Oh and Destroyah is pretty sweet.

3) Mothra Vs. Godzilla (1964) = Pretty much what King Kong Vs. Godzilla should have been like. It represents the high mark in quality for all of Godzilla's original creators.

4) Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah (1991) = Wacky, off the wall, and completely insane, this is the definitive Sci-Fi camp Godzilla film while also managing to offer a shades of grey approach to Godzilla where he is neither hero nor villain. He is whatever he needs to be in the moment. It also has a nice emotional thread with Shindo and Godzilla, and also serves as an amazing reintroduction for his arch-nemesis.

5) Destroy All Monsters (1968) = Even with Final Wars, I still consider this the ultimate multi-kaiju showcase. It is just a wild free for all that feels like everything Toho had done up to that point all spliced together to make the most entertaining experience possible. The 4 Monster attack on Tokyo and the Battle near Mt Fuji are two of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise.

6) Terror of Mechagodzilla (1978) = A swan song in many respects, this movie gave us a classier and darker hero Godzilla, while also weaving a human dramatic element with tragic consequences. Dr. Mafune and Katsura are two of the most memorable non-kaiju characters in the genre.

7) Godzilla Vs. Biollante (1989) = It is amazing that this movie works as well as it does with so many different elements thrown in. Psychics, Espionage, Fictional countries, Genetic engineering, and wacky gadgets like The Super X-2, Anti-Nuclear Bacteria, and Artificial lightning fields. It is wild, but works towards making for a fun ride that gave the Heisei era its identity with its more comic book style approach, as well as the continuity that would carry on throughout the series. Also the practical effects are marvelous as this is the best Godzilla has ever looked and Biollante's final form is a sight to behold.

and 8) Shin Godzilla (2016) = The political satire on display gives this film its charm and its heart, and at the center we have probably the most horrific Godzilla ever put on film. The constant evolving and continuing displays of destructive power make him almost hellish this time around. It is the best Monster Vs. Military centric film since the original Gojira, and I love it.

Those are my absolute favorites.

Two more picks? Lets just say any two of the next step down for me:
- Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster (1964) = The first big monster mash worked out with great results. It gave us our first taste of Hero Godzilla, Godzilla and Rodan in the same film for the first time, anthropomorphized the monsters to a degree that was unexpected, but cute and fun at the same time, and we get introduced to Godzilla's arch enemy and Toho's big monster baddy in Ghidorah. All good things here. Oh, I also love the alien prophetess/lost princess subplot. Its absurdity on paper, but in line with the other films by Honda, it is played earnestly and strangely believably because of it.

- Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero (1965) = The definitive alien invader centric Godzilla flick. It started all of the traditions that go along with that. Aliens control bad monsters, the aliens are dressed in wacky outfits, the humans have to break the aliens' control over the monsters...all that good stuff. And the Planet X denizens are far and away my favorite alien race in the franchise. So delightfully campy! And finally, how can you not love Nick Adams in this? I actually prefer the English language version just so I can get the full experience of his performance.

- Godzilla Vs. Hedorah (1971) = This one is just straight up bonkers, and for all its weirdness, it stands out as one of the most unique entries in the series. Whether or not that's a good thing, I'll leave up to you, but personally, I loved. Amidst the silliness, there are some legitimate moments of horror in the damage Hedorah does, and I credit this movie for helping to ease me into the horror genre at a young age. Baby steps!

- Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) = Godzilla and a Lion-Poodle God fight the Big G's robot clone that is being controlled by green apes. I mean, what's not to love? This is also my personal favorite showcase for Mechagodzilla's abilities in any of his appearances, and the sheer level of blood and gore is actually quite shocking, at least when compared to all the other entries in the franchise.

- Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla (1993) = You want monster action? This one has you covered. You get Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla, Godzilla Vs. Rodan, and Mechagodzilla Vs. Rodan, with all of them getting powerups and upgrades inbetween fights, and all with a baby Godzilla and the Garuda Warship thrown in for good measure. I also really liked that this movie really didn't have a villainous force. There was no "bad monster" and everything kind of has shades of grey.

- Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack (2001) = My favorite of the Millennium films for sure. I don't think director Kaneko quite matched the level of quality he achieved with the Gamera Trilogy, but he delivered one heck of a movie with more focus on fantasy elements and a spookier atmosphere.

- Godzilla (2014) = I never thought I'd live to see the day where Godzilla would get represented well in an American film, but we finally got it in 2014. Criticisms aside, I liked the atmosphere and pacing of the film, and while he wasn't on screen much, they made every second with Godzilla count.

- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) = If I never thought I'd ever see Godzilla get treated with respect in an American film, then I definitely never expected to see a Showa era style kaiju brawl in an American film. The critics can say what they want, but I loved this movie and had a blast with it.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

1. Mothra vs Godzilla
2. Godzilla vs Biollante
3. Godzilla vs Monster Zero
4. Godzilla (1954)
5. Godzilla vs The Sea Monster
6. Godzilla vs Hedorah
7. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)
8. Godzilla 2000
9. Terror of Mechagodzilla
10. Destroy All Monsters
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

Post by CommanderBowser »

My top 10 favourite Godzilla films

1. Godzilla: Final Wars
2. Godzilla (2014)
3. Godzilla vs Biollante
4. Terror of MechaGodzilla
5. King Kong vs Godzilla
6. Godzilla vs Megalon
7. Godzilla 2000
8. Ghidorah: the Three Headed Monster
9. Godzilla vs Hedorah
10. Godzilla Resurgence

At least for now
Just your average fan of Godzilla, who also loves cartoons and Super Smash Bros

FWI, Bowser is my Smash Main, hence my user name.

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Post by Godzillander »

1. Gojira
2. Godzilla: Final Wars
3. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
4. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
5. Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (2019
6. Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster
7. Mothra
8. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
9. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)/ Shin Godzilla
10. Godzilla (2014)
"Sometimes I think this is Godzilla's world. We just live in it."
:godzilla:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

1. Godzilla 1954
Too kino to put anywhere else, also if I didn't put it here I wouldn't be a true fan
2. Shin Godzilla
Anno kino thats the closest analog to the original film for modern times. As Jomei often says, it simply cannot be binned
3. Mothra vs Godzilla
Maybe a tiny bit less kino than Shin Godzilla, bonus kino points though because it pisses off kids and the "every Godzilla movie except 54 sucks anyways" self-defeatist crowd
4. King Kong vs Godzilla
Kino because it's an earnest comedy in the first half, pissing off the "Godzilla must have a semblance of seriousness to be good" crowd
5. Monster Zero
Nick Adams kino, also WMAF propaganda that pisses off reddit. It's DAM except its actually good.
6. Planet Eater
Pretty good film with a fantastic ending, but since it gets so misread and maligned with non-criticisms it becomes big-brain kino. You brought this onto yourselves
7. Son Of Godzilla
Entertaining film, but kino because it pisses off the "Godzilla must have a semblance of seriousness to be good, MINYA RUINED THE SERIES" crowd
8. City On The Edge Of Battle
See number 6
9. GMK
Solid film, becomes kino when you compare it to schlock like Godzilla vs Destoroyah that preceded it just a couple of years earlier
10. Godzilla 2014
Fake fan Edwards singlehandedly revives the franchise with a solidly entertaining film that exemplifies "great directing; mediocre script." Bonus kino points for being the only critically and financially successful American Godzilla film.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Wow, never knew how hard it’d be to put these in order…

1.) Invasion of Astro Monster
2.) Gojira (1954)
3.) Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster
4.) Shin Godzilla
5.) Mothra vs. Godzilla
6.) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
7.) Godzilla vs. Biollante
8.) Godzilla vs. Gigan
9.) King Kong vs. Godzilla
10.) Godzilla 1985: The Legend Reborn

Runner Ups would include

Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster
Godzilla 2000 (English Dub)
All Monsters Attack
Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (1956)
Godzilla (2014)
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Stump Feet wrote:Wow, never knew how hard it’d be to put these in order…

1.) Invasion of Astro Monster
2.) Gojira (1954)
3.) Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster
4.) Shin Godzilla
5.) Mothra vs. Godzilla
6.) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
7.) Godzilla vs. Biollante
8.) King Kong vs. Godzilla
9.) Godzilla (2014)
10.) Godzilla 1985: The Legend Reborn

Runner Ups would include

Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster
Godzilla 2000 (English Dub)
All Monsters Attack
Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (1956)
Props for the Monster Zero love! What made you choose GVMG74 over TOMG?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Astro Monster has such a fantastic human narrative that very little beats it for me, and Nick Adams really hits it out of the ball park!

This is going to be all over the place so I apologize in advance but I believe between Astro Monster, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was among the very first Godzilla movies I had ever seen so it strikes major nostalgia chords.

The movie was balls to the wall monster action from the very beginning with Anguirus and wrapped around this strange tone that’s never been duplicated by any other G flick before it or after.

I absolutely cannot get over the original Mechagodzilla’s design, the changes between 74’ and 75’ are very subtle but they stick out like a sore thumb to me and I love the overall bulkiness and shine that was stripped away from him in the sequel.
King Caesar’s another huge part of the appeal, he’s such a strange creature that brings such a mysterious nuance about him that no other monster had imo.

I can’t help but favor the human narrative on this and interpol’s role in this, something about agent Nanbara always struck me as totally badass for some reason and he’s always been a favorite character out of the entire series, dude just radiates “cool”.

Can’t forget about that amazing soundtrack, Terror’s is so memorable don’t get me wrong and it’s always a plus to have Akira scoring again, but I can’t help but find my foot tapping to the rhythm of Sato’s bopping score everytime.

Added in 36 minutes 2 seconds:
Wow, I forgot all about Godzilla vs. Gigan! I can’t help but have a soft spot in my heart for that one as well, gotta edit it in somewhere.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:19 am, edited 11 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

1. Gojira
2. Monster Zero
3. Godzilla '84
4. Mothra vs Godzilla
5. Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
6. GMK
7. Godzilla 2000
8. King Kong vs Godzilla
9. Godzilla vs Hedorah
10. Terror of Mechagodzilla

Side note: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla was number two, but I need to give it another watch after not seeing it in years.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:
Side note: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla was number two, but I need to give it another watch after not seeing it in years.
Always my go-to “fun” Godzilla movie, never disappoints no matter how many rewatches.
Long Live The Sting

Gothra
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gothra »

In chronological order because these are basically all interchangeable for me depending on how I feel on any given day:

Gojira
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Invasion of Astro-Monster
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Terror of Mechagodzilla (my #1 as of late)
Godzilla vs. Biollante
GMK
Shin Godzilla

To round it out to make a top ten:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojira
Invasion of the Astro Monster
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Terror of MechaGodzilla
Godzilla 1984
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla 2000
GMK
Shin Godzilla

The "10th" spot would be a six way tie between Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ebirah Horror of the Deep, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Gigan, and Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah 91.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I just rewatched Terror today and I honestly can't put it above Mechagodzilla.

Terror has the superior cinematography and score, but I really don't care much for the human narrative and the cheapness of the city. I know Mechagodzilla's budget was pretty low too but it seemed to hide it better.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

Gothra
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gothra »

I like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla a lot, it's a ton of fun and it was one of my favorites as a kid, but Terror resonates with me emotionally in a very special way, definitely one of my favorite human stories in a Godzilla movie and Katsura is my favorite human character period. It also has a sort of gothic horror/romance element to it which is unlike anything else in the franchise. Quite possibly my favorite score too, even if it is a bit repetitive. The funereal tone and use of synths are to die for.
Last edited by Gothra on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

TOMG is the Shakespearean tragedy of the Godzilla series.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gothra
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gothra »

Terasawa wrote:TOMG is the Shakespearean tragedy of the Godzilla series.
Exactly! It's wonderful. I think I might watch it right now.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah, one of the few films to also really well incorporate the human plot, into the actual monster fight as well. Sure Godzilla fights Titanosaurus and MechaGodzilla, but it`s the human cast that work together and disable both adversaries, after a well-earned emotional turmoil and back and forth conflict.

Sure, some of the elements on the surface appear to be very cliche (Dr. Mafune as a mad scientist), but there`s a lot of heart behind it. You can say it's a bit too melodramatic/emotional but I really love it.

And despite being "cheap", we get a fantastic amount of shots of actual cities and people running away in contrast to just miniatures.

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla has some nice shots of Okinawa tho.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

This is definitely true and I can appreciate it for how deep it is, especially compared to the last few Godzilla entries at that point, but something about it just doesn't click with me.

That damn choreography, score, and cinematography tho, it's finger lickin' good!
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mafune may have been a mad scientist because that was a stock character type in the TV tokusatsu that permeated Japanese airwaves in the mid-70s. But the screenplay makes him more than "just" a mad scientist.

I'm with you, Stump Feet, something about it just doesn't fully click for me. I think the very dramatic story is sometimes at odds with the setting and characters: for example it's jarring to see the somber elements segue into Godzilla bouncing around and punching Titanosaurus. I can think of at least 10 Godzilla movies I think are better, but that said, it's the crown jewel of the Matsuri era. I love the original GvMG and I think it's immensely entertaining but I don't think it's a particularly well constructed story. I think I mentioned in another of your threads, LSD, that it spends too much time having our characters travel to and from Okinawa. On top of that, there are far too many characters that don't serve much of a purpose.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I'd say it's definitely the classier of the Matsuri era, that's for sure.
Long Live The Sting