Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote: This is the original tweet by the Head of Kadokawa I posted last page, the rough translation says "Will Not", if there's any Japanese speakers, could it possibly say "will"?

I know it says some stuff hinting towards some big things goin on definitely. To sum up what the rest said for newcomers,
He also thinks Gamera is an important IP, and he "wants to get excited", but "cannot say concrete things here". Then finishes by saying "I want you to improve your moods", basically saying chin up, there's something I can't say here and now, but soon.
It says "will not", but it's not actually him saying that. The first paragraph is a question being asked to him. His answer is essentially the summary you posted.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

He's gonna get introduced in GvK like Wonder Woman in Dawn of Justice. Then he's gonna get his own movie. 90% sure this is 100% happening
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I know it's sarcasm.

But I wouldn't be against it, don't know why one would be.

Added in 44 seconds:
Smuggers wrote: It says "will not", but it's not actually him saying that. The first paragraph is a question being asked to him. His answer is essentially the summary you posted.
Hmm... Interesting.

I wonder what they're cooking up? (if anything)
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I only read the first page of this topic so far, but I hope people aren't still arguing Gamera's rocket/flying saucer type flying needs to go away to make him "fit" into the Monsterverse. KOTM pretty much put the last nail in the coffin for "realism" what with
Spoiler:
mystical-ish Mothra, alien Ghidorah (who looked to have done some kind of energy drain attack?), Atlantis, and Godzilla taking a fall from orbit
. Seriously, realism is dead in the monsterverse, dead and buried, unloved and unmourned, so I say anything is possible, and Gamera will fit in just honky dory after all we've got now. So anyone arguing Gamera can't work or his origin or his abilities are too out there, well, that's a weak excuse now. God I'm so glad we got a movie out of KOTM that should hopefully shut people up and that need for everything to be grounded stuff. I mean, we're officially in MCU whackiness turf now.

All that said, I still don't believe for a moment Gamera has a snowball's chance in heck of making it. But at least now instead of some crap about realisim we can just argue about the real reason he'll never make it in - he's just not a worldwide icon. He's not Godzilla or Kong famous. Legendary won't see any benefit in acquiring the license for his film rights or whatever. Heck, after KOTM underperforming (for whatever reason cough*Endgame*cough), they're even less likely to waste money on such an obscure character.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Vakanai wrote:I only read the first page of this topic so far, but I hope people aren't still arguing Gamera's rocket/flying saucer type flying needs to go away to make him "fit" into the Monsterverse. KOTM pretty much put the last nail in the coffin for "realism" what with
Spoiler:
mystical-ish Mothra, alien Ghidorah (who looked to have done some kind of energy drain attack?), Atlantis, and Godzilla taking a fall from orbit
. Seriously, realism is dead in the monsterverse, dead and buried, unloved and unmourned, so I say anything is possible, and Gamera will fit in just honky dory after all we've got now. So anyone arguing Gamera can't work or his origin or his abilities are too out there, well, that's a weak excuse now. God I'm so glad we got a movie out of KOTM that should hopefully shut people up and that need for everything to be grounded stuff. I mean, we're officially in MCU whackiness turf now.

All that said, I still don't believe for a moment Gamera has a snowball's chance in heck of making it. But at least now instead of some crap about realisim we can just argue about the real reason he'll never make it in - he's just not a worldwide icon. He's not Godzilla or Kong famous. Legendary won't see any benefit in acquiring the license for his film rights or whatever. Heck, after KOTM underperforming (for whatever reason cough*Endgame*cough), they're even less likely to waste money on such an obscure character.
The last 2 pages are the reason this thread got revived.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

gojira012 wrote:So in order to have a good movie....We must completely eliminate ALL fun and core aspects of a character?

Isn't that what DC's current movies do?
No, that's just what the Snyder films did. WW, Aquaman, and Shazam are all fun and keep the core aspects in tact. So current DCEU is fine. Early and unsuccessful DCEU not so much...

Added in 1 minute 54 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Vakanai wrote:I only read the first page of this topic so far, but I hope people aren't still arguing Gamera's rocket/flying saucer type flying needs to go away to make him "fit" into the Monsterverse. KOTM pretty much put the last nail in the coffin for "realism" what with
Spoiler:

The last 2 pages are the reason this thread got revived.
Haven't gotten to those pages yet, reading the whole thread now. It's only 8 pages so I figure why not read it all.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah Gamera needs to have his spinning saucer thing as impossible as it is. I mean if they save it only for the end I can live with that.

Sergeant Barnes: You have got to be f***ing kidding me.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: All good points. Guardians of the Galaxy for some reason keeps slipping my mind for some reason when it comes to this... :lol:
I don't know why people keep saying he's too obscure as if that means anything. A reboot to an obscure franchise is a new IP as far as the GA knows.
The Monsterverse isn't McMarvel; it's doing very well thus far but it hasn't built up enough reputation for a studio to take a risk on something like, say, a rocket powered giant turtle.

It isn't going to happen. Not anytime soon and probably never. It joins Gargantuas, Frankenstein and Kong doubling in size before GvK on the list of fan wishes that aren't coming true.
Pretty sure you're in for a big, hairy surprise.

Added in 18 minutes 45 seconds:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Tull knowing who Gamera is ups his chances if Godzilla vs Kong and kotm makes bank like I think they will.

Also anyone that thinks Gamera looks too silly.needs to go watch the Gamera 3 scene where he wrecks the city. Same with Shin's first form and then the nuking of tokyo.

There is nothing wrong with Gamera having a "cheesy" entrance if he immediately does and acts badass right after.

Also nothing wrong with saying a fictional lost city of Atlantis built him either.
Tull isn't the ceo anymore, so I dont know how that helps.

And gamera does look silly. He's a Ufo turtle. He spins around with rockets coming out of his damn legholes. If that isn't silly I have no idea what is.

Entrances are half of these movies damn appeal. Picture the g14 entrance airport scene. Other than the cut, absolutely badass! Now imagine it as godzilla flying out of the ocean using his atomic breath as a jet. that gets rid of one of the films most awesome moments.

And, of course, there is EVERYTHING wrong with having Atlantis build him. One, atlantis? Really? Whats next, the amazons created biollante?
Two, that level of biomechanical and genetic engineering is insane. The furthest modern scientists have gotten today is creating self cloning lizards, synthesizing nitrogenous bases and inserting foreign dna into other creatures. Even if we go by the "Realistic reactions, not realistic kaiju!" and even if we say atlantis WAS a super advanced race, how the hell is that gonna end up with gamera? If anything they have the technology to create something far more powerful, and they aint gonna make a UFO flight turtle.

I love gamera. I think he's awesome and hilarious and makes for a great movie; however, I have said it before and i have no doubt that i will say it again. Not in the monsterverse.
Post is kind of funny because KOTM
Spoiler:
introduced Atlantis, and then blew it up!
As for Gamera looking silly - dude, he looks like a UFO, which do not look silly and are huge these days. Imagine seeing what looks like a big saucer straight out of Independence Day flying overhead, only to then turn into a big freaking monster. The right design, special effects, editing, and that wouldn't look silly, that'd look badass. Hell, you're already in the minority of thinking Hesei Gamera looks silly, most people think he looks great in that trilogy. Imagine how many more people would think he looks great once you add Hollywood level effects to that?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

You do realize that just because you're re-reading the thread doesn't mean you have to reply to posts that are two months old, right?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

is there any chance at all that gamera will make a cameo in gvk?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:But the problem is if GvK doesn't perform up to expectations then there's nowhere to go. Bringing in Gamera isn't going to sell more tickets. If U.S. audiences didn't turn out for Godzilla's three biggest rivals then they're not going to turn out for a much more obscure character that's maybe even more Japanese than Mothra.

I'm obviously not a studio executive but I can't imagine why Legendary would try to take a chance on a total unknown when the addition of three supposed "known" properties resulted in a movie that's going to gross significantly less than their first Godzilla.
This is why I say include him in the MV, but do a solo film instead of Godzilla vs Gamera. Make it a bit lower budget, like say Rampage, release it in a month with no Marvel movie, and see how well he does on his own. Since Goji ain't in it, no need to pay Toho only Kadokawa, and you don't need to spend as much to make it epic like you would need for a big crossover with Godzilla. Build up interest in Gamera first before risking the big crossover. I don't know why people keep arguing for the reverse with the big crossover first and then a solo movie.

It's all about minimizing risks while still pursuing new franchises.

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:You do realize that just because you're re-reading the thread doesn't mean you have to reply to posts that are two months old, right?
Yes, I know that. I don't post because I have to, I post because I choose to.
Unless there's like a rule against it or something...but I don't think there is...

I see things I want to respond to, I respond.

Added in 1 minute 8 seconds:
Sonic wrote:is there any chance at all that gamera will make a cameo in gvk?
No. No chance.
Legendary would have to buy the rights/license first, and they haven't best we know.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

sad... thanks for clarifying that for me.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Vakanai wrote:
Maritonic wrote:You do realize that just because you're re-reading the thread doesn't mean you have to reply to posts that are two months old, right?
Unless there's like a rule against it or something...but I don't think there is...

Yes, I'm aware how free will works. I'm merely suggesting it's a bid odd to keep replying to all these older posts, when you could just post your own opinions and call it a day. Just an observation.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Terasawa wrote:But the problem is if GvK doesn't perform up to expectations then there's nowhere to go. Bringing in Gamera isn't going to sell more tickets. If U.S. audiences didn't turn out for Godzilla's three biggest rivals then they're not going to turn out for a much more obscure character that's maybe even more Japanese than Mothra.

I'm obviously not a studio executive but I can't imagine why Legendary would try to take a chance on a total unknown when the addition of three supposed "known" properties resulted in a movie that's going to gross significantly less than their first Godzilla.
Speaking of expectations, which I'm sure were probably more than what KOTM is going to end up finishing with. Have we heard what Legendary expected to make back yet, knowing competition and everything else going on during time of release?

I think expectation-wise and for them to really think about sequels, GvK would have to make around $630m to $720m. Which I think is pretty plausible since Kong is an American icon (which bodes better than 3 Kaiju rivals of Godzilla) and Godzilla is a Japanese icon, people have wanted to see a new fight between them for decades.

KOTM has gotten plenty of good WOM from fans and audiences, but it has been scorched by critics. So it's an interesting divide and an even more interesting situation for the studio. Obviously the fans want more, but the big question is, are they willing to support it?

I wonder if Kadokawa is willing to fund the whole, or most of the project, would Legendary be willing to hook up the license???
Kadokawa won't be willing to fund most of it, because they couldn't afford to. They ain't rich.
LamangoKaijura wrote:Gamera's literally in the art book, guys.
Wait, what?
_JNavs_ wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Gamera's literally in the art book, guys.
In the Official art book at that lol. So I'm thinking something big will be announced soon.

That along with the tweet by the head of Kadokawa.
Maybe they do have the license then...

Added in 1 minute 16 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

Yes, I'm aware how free will works. I'm merely suggesting it's a bid odd to keep replying to all these older posts, when you could just post your own opinions and call it a day. Just an observation.
Yeah, but I have way too much time on my hands. This keeps me occupied for a half hour.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Yeah I saw him in the art book... this is all too confusing.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Ten years ago anyone who'd suggest that we'd get a hollywood remake of King Kong vs Godzilla would be laughed out of the room. And look where we are now.

I doubt Gamera is going to show up in the Monsterverse if it continues but if there's one thing I learned it's to never say never.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Ten years ago anyone who'd suggest that we'd get a hollywood remake of King Kong vs Godzilla would be laughed out of the room. And look where we are now.

I doubt Gamera is going to show up in the Monsterverse if it continues but if there's one thing I learned it's to never say never.
And people said the same thing about Ridley (He's too big!), K. Rool (He's irrelevant!) and Banjo (He's owned by different company now!) in Smash as well. Look where we are too with that. ;)

Goes to show sometimes the seemingly impossible can actually happen.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Who's Ridley lol.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Ten years ago anyone who'd suggest that we'd get a hollywood remake of King Kong vs Godzilla would be laughed out of the room. And look where we are now.

I said it here in 2013 and was laughed off the board. Love how the time changes.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

I don't see why weGamera's flying capabilities would need to be removed to fit him in the Monsterverse. King Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra, and the Male Muto could all fly. So why not Gamera?

Added in 2 minutes 59 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:Who's Ridley lol.
A main villian in Metroid.