Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by GuardianGhido »

While I did love Shin Ghidorah (if only he was twice as big and could take a hit...) I think going the "Monster fighting" route with Shin is a bad idea that really clashes with his character and themes in Shin Godzilla.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

GuardianGhido wrote:I think going the "Monster fighting" route with Shin is a bad idea that really clashes with his character and themes in Shin Godzilla.
I would agree if it was a full length film, but I think it's ok to do for just a theme park ride.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

GuardianGhido wrote:While I did love Shin Ghidorah (if only he was twice as big and could take a hit...) I think going the "Monster fighting" route with Shin is a bad idea that really clashes with his character and themes in Shin Godzilla.
Is there a video somewhere where I can see the actual fight between the two Shins?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:While I did love Shin Ghidorah (if only he was twice as big and could take a hit...) I think going the "Monster fighting" route with Shin is a bad idea that really clashes with his character and themes in Shin Godzilla.
Is there a video somewhere where I can see the actual fight between the two Shins?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvukgxv ... e=youtu.be

This is the best one available on the net so far.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Dr. Professor wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I think going the "Monster fighting" route with Shin is a bad idea that really clashes with his character and themes in Shin Godzilla.
I would agree if it was a full length film, but I think it's ok to do for just a theme park ride.
They coulda gone the route of the EVAs fighting him instead of him fighting Shin Ghidorah. Him fighting humans is fine in my book, just not keen on him taking on other monsters like Heisei, Showa or the other "Actiony" Godzillas. I think Shin is better as the only monster in his world (unless he "stabilises" into a final form like I mentioned in other threads).
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
They coulda gone the route of the EVAs fighting him instead of him fighting Shin Ghidorah. Him fighting humans is fine in my book, just not keen on him taking on other monsters like Heisei, Showa or the other "Actiony" Godzillas. I think Shin is better as the only monster in his world (unless he "stabilises" into a final form like I mentioned in other threads).
Again, I'd agree if it was a film, but it's just a gimmicky theme park ride that isn't canon to the film. I don't think they'd go this route if they were to ever make a sequel.

Godzilla: The Planet Eater just misses my top ten. I think it's one of the best films of the kaiju renaissance.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Godzilla: Monster of Monsters! is a good game, y'all just mean

RIP Evan.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Godzilla: Monster of Monsters! is a good game, y'all just mean
It would be good, if the controls for Godzilla and the fights weren't garbage.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Godzilla: Monster of Monsters! is a good game, y'all just mean
It would be good, if the controls for Godzilla and the fights weren't garbage.
How dare.

-throws my own arm at you-
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Monster of Monsters is one of my favorite classic Nintendo games. Its insane the number of cameos and Easter eggs they shoved in.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I’m honestly not a fan of Godzilla 2019’s new spines, feet, or tail and wish they’d go back to the 2014 design and just increase the size of his spines a smidge.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I love the feet, claws and the new spines (wasn't too big on 2014's generic triangle nachos tbh), but I fully agree in regards to the tail. The massive, whip-like tail of 2014 was a unique and recognizeable feature, it truly felt like a weapon in itself. The moment when he used it to smack down the male MUTO was absolutely epic. 2019's tail feels like a bit...stubby, so to speak. I'd be completely down for it if they elongate and thiccen it back in GvK.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm really happy with the 2019 Godzilla. They fixed everything that I thought was bad about the 2014 version, even the heat ray.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Terasawa wrote:I'm really happy with the 2019 Godzilla. They fixed everything that I thought was bad about the 2014 version, even the heat ray.
Yeah, same. My problems with 2014 were mainly the spines and the claws, so i'm glad they got changed. The more concentrated atomic ray was a neat addition too.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I was pretty much fine with 14's design but 19 is good too. It doesn't matter as long as the overall Legendary Godzilla design is kept (one of my favorite designs).

Speaking of designs, I really like the skinny Final Wars Godzilla design, it's quick and nimble compared to Heisei and has the long flexible arms, legs and tail that make him a very capable melee fighter (only rivaled by Legendary and Showa)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Legendary G is my favorite Godzilla incarnation design-wise. (personality-wise too)
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Design wise there are quite a few that compete for my favorite: '54, '62, '03 Shin, Legendary (Specifically 2019. 2014's spines and whip tail don't really do it for me, but I love the arms and boxy look of his face with both designs)

Personality wise I'd have to say Legendary. The closeup shots of his face when he's pissed at one of the MUTOs or Ghidorah are so badass.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Design wise there are quite a few that compete for my favorite: '54, '62, '03 Shin, Legendary (Specifically 2019. 2014's spines and whip tail don't really do it for me, but I love the arms and boxy look of his face with both designs)

Personality wise I'd have to say Legendary. The closeup shots of his face when he's pissed at one of the MUTOs or Ghidorah are so badass.
Same here. Like GuardianGhido, i'm honestly fine with the 2019 changes, since the basic essence of the Legendary design is still intact. The boxy head, massive and regal stature and the angry unibrow look are the aspects that make Legendary Goji among my favorite designs, besides 2000, 54, 62 and 89. His expressiveness especially is a great aspect, I love the menacing staredowns he gives his opponents. His hateful look and snarl in the KOTM Antarctica scene are especially fantastic, you can really tell a lot from this one, brief shot.

Added in 2 minutes 53 seconds:
GuardianGhido wrote:I was pretty much fine with 14's design but 19 is good too. It doesn't matter as long as the overall Legendary Godzilla design is kept (one of my favorite designs).

Speaking of designs, I really like the skinny Final Wars Godzilla design, it's quick and nimble compared to Heisei and has the long flexible arms, legs and tail that make him a very capable melee fighter (only rivaled by Legendary and Showa)
The only aspect that I don't quite like about him his the ratface, and honestly I would have preferred him to be somewhat beefier (similar to late Showa Gojis). But in general, I agree that the design idea behind him is pretty neat, and it's always cool to see a more athletic looking Godzilla.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Dv-218 wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I was pretty much fine with 14's design but 19 is good too. It doesn't matter as long as the overall Legendary Godzilla design is kept (one of my favorite designs).

The only aspect that I don't quite like about him his the ratface, and honestly I would have preferred him to be somewhat beefier (similar to late Showa Gojis). But in general, I agree that the design idea behind him is pretty neat, and it's always cool to see a more athletic looking Godzilla.
Thing is, in my opinion, making him beefy would only serve to slow him down and make his movements more sluggish. This Godzilla seems to work with Lean Muscle as opposed to pure bulk (Heisei has plenty of bulk, but his build and stubby arms makes him an awkward melee fighter). He's deceptively skinny but still packs enough strength to toss Kumonga away with little effort, smack Anguirus at Rodan, ragdoll Keizer with a powerup and othe ridonkulous feats.

FinalGoji is a sort of Bruce Lee to LegendaryGoji's Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I’ve always had a strong affinity towards FinalGoji’s design and his overall, “aura”, I guess. The heavy set brows that shroud his eyes in shadow, the long claws, longer ears, fangs, and lean yet toned and muscular physique just do it for me. He straight up looks like a fighter and to me, has a rather intimidating appearance. The rat face aspect is something that I’ve never personally seen, even when comparing it side by side with a rat.

Legendary Godzilla’s design, especially his KotM appearance (aside from the slightly shortened tail), is near perfection for me.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM