GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by Godzilla165 »

That would honestly be the best course of action for both characters. Turning Godzilla into a villain would be a devolution of his established character so far, and Kong becoming one wouldn't make sense for his. Both being set in their ways and doing rash things to uphold them should be more than enough to make Godzilla and Kong come to blows.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Godzilla165 wrote:That would honeys be the best course of action for both characters. Turning Godzilla into a villain would be a devolution of his established character so far, and Kong becoming one wouldn't make sense for his. Both being set in their ways and doing rash things to uphold them should be more than enough to make Godzilla and Kong come to blows.
I fully agree
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

Can anyone who has read spoilers or supposed spoilers, say whether it appears we'll see Godzilla and Kong fight during the day or not?

Without giving any spoilers away :)
Last edited by MorgolKing on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:That would honeys be the best course of action for both characters. Turning Godzilla into a villain would be a devolution of his established character so far, and Kong becoming one wouldn't make sense for his. Both being set in their ways and doing rash things to uphold them should be more than enough to make Godzilla and Kong come to blows.
I fully agree
That's pretty much how I see it going down. Godzilla becoming extremely arrogant about keeping the natural balance, going so far as to maybe invade Skull Island for [Plot] causing a conflict with Kong.

Maybe Godzilla's intent to keep balance goes too far and he ends up attacking humanity?
MorgolKing wrote:Can anyone who has read spoilers or supposed spoilers, say whether it appears we'll see Godzilla and Kong fight during the day or not?

Post-production hasn't even started yet.

Also, daylight fights are overrated.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Don’t let James year you ultra
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

UltramanGoji wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:
I fully agree
That's pretty much how I see it going down. Godzilla becoming extremely arrogant about keeping the natural balance, going so far as to maybe invade Skull Island for [Plot] causing a conflict with Kong.

Maybe Godzilla's intent to keep balance goes too far and he ends up attacking humanity?
i could honestly see the outcome of the fight in this scenario. Kong wins in this one . He gets the throne of king (for now anyways) and Godzilla gets a reality check. Kong learns his mistake as well and allows the other Titans to live on Skull Island.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

If anyone needs a reality check it’s Kong. He’s been sitting on his little island for this entire time and acts like he’s the king of literally everything despite that. And of the novel is anything to go by he doesn’t play nice with others.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

gottatalktothefake wrote:If anyone needs a reality check it’s Kong. He’s been sitting on his little island for this entire time and acts like he’s the king of literally everything despite that. And of the novel is anything to go by he doesn’t play nice with others.
Skull Island is his home turf he could care less about the others unless they invade wouldn't u do the same.lol
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

UltramanGoji wrote:
MorgolKing wrote:Can anyone who has read spoilers or supposed spoilers, say whether it appears we'll see Godzilla and Kong fight during the day or not?

Post-production hasn't even started yet.

Also, daylight fights are overrated.
Production shooting during the day or night would be good indicators.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

That’s one of the only ways where I can see them fighting making sense. Godzilla, in his quest to maintain balance and order, discovers that one particular Titan hasn’t yielded to his status as king nor his vocalizations, and sets out to locate the rebel which leads him to Skull Island. Perhaps have one of the human characters even explain the gist of what’s going on, since the monsters can’t talk.

Kong doesn’t like intruders on his turf and maybe Godzilla is even indirectly responsible for more SkullCrawlers waking up, right after Kong just put them to bed. Godzilla just wants Kong to yield like a good little ape, and flaunts his dominance, and that’s how they wind up fighting. Enter your big bad monster whom forces them to put their differences aside, or else they can kiss the Earth and Skull Island goodbye. Godzilla and Kong eventually beat the villain, form a newfound respect for one another, become tea and cookie buddies, and Kong allows for the other Titans to live and coexist on the island rent free, and helps to look after them and keep them in line for Godzilla whilst he’s out maintaining the natural order and his status as Titan king and/or sleeping.

This way, you could either have a satisfying conclusion if the Monsterverse were to end, or have a good set up for a Godzilla 3 and future movies.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I feel like this movie will end with Godzilla learning an important lesson: His job is to protect the world, but he doesn't have to do it all. There are others just as capable of him, he doesn't need to protect all of the world I.E. Skull Island doesn't need his protection, Kong's got it cover, less work for Godzilla so he can focus on the parts of the world that do need him.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:If anyone needs a reality check it’s Kong. He’s been sitting on his little island for this entire time and acts like he’s the king of literally everything despite that. And of the novel is anything to go by he doesn’t play nice with others.
Sounds like you need a reality check :lol: Kong isn't acting like he's king. Literally all he does in the movie is prevent the Skull Crawlers from growing and spreading. We also see him walking around and just living. Lmao! And Kong doesn't want intruders invading his home, Godzilla165 had it right where Kong doesn't realize the titans there would be good for everybody. Both Godzilla and Kong are wrong and right, in their own certain ways. They're both justified.
Godzilla165 wrote:

That’s one of the only ways where I can see them fighting making sense. Godzilla, in his quest to maintain balance and order, discovers that one particular Titan hasn’t yielded to his status as king nor his vocalizations, and sets out to locate the rebel which leads him to Skull Island. Perhaps have one of the human characters even explain the gist of what’s going on, since the monsters can’t talk.

Kong doesn’t like intruders on his turf and maybe Godzilla is even indirectly responsible for more SkullCrawlers waking up, right after Kong just put them to bed. Godzilla just wants Kong to yield like a good little ape, and flaunts his dominance, and that’s how they wind up fighting. Enter your big bad monster whom forces them to put their differences aside, or else they can kiss the Earth and Skull Island goodbye. Godzilla and Kong eventually beat the villain, form a newfound respect for one another, become tea and cookie buddies, and Kong allows for the other Titans to live and coexist on the island rent free, and helps to look after them and keep them in line for Godzilla whilst he’s out maintaining the natural order and his status as Titan king and/or sleeping.

This way, you could either have a satisfying conclusion if the Monsterverse were to end, or have a good set up for a Godzilla 3 and future movies.
Liked it until the "set aside their differences". How about a movie where they solve their differences so there's nothing to set aside in a future film. For now it needs to stick with Godzilla and Kong fighting. But I hope they show that Godzilla isn't trying to chose the one monster who hasn't yielded, that automatically paints Kong as the good guy. If they have Godzilla want to go to Skull Island for finding a home for the other titans, that would seem way better and make the audience choosing who's right and wrong far more conflicting, since literally both monsters are equally wrong and right. But if Godzilla is just "trying to be da king!!!" and Kong is the one who refuses to back down, everyone roots for Kong. No one likes a dog who bows (like bitch-ass Rodan), so I hope they don't go the "bend-the-knee" route.
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

For now it needs to stick with Godzilla and Kong fighting. But I hope they show that Godzilla isn't trying to chose the one monster who hasn't yielded, that automatically paints Kong as the good guy. If they have Godzilla want to go to Skull Island for finding a home for the other titans, that would seem way better and make the audience choosing who's right and wrong far more conflicting, since literally both monsters are equally wrong and right. But if Godzilla is just "trying to be da king!!!" and Kong is the one who refuses to back down, everyone roots for Kong. No one likes a dog who bows (like bitch-ass Rodan), so I hope they don't go the "bend-the-knee" route.
That honestly may be the best course if they wish to keep Godzilla a more neutral protector type (which I hope they do), but still give him a legitimate reason for traveling to Skull Island. That’d be the perfect place to easily keep tabs on the other Titans and keep them from attacking cities, but Kong still being the isolationist, doesn’t want that and wants to maintain his land the way he chooses. Perhaps Godzilla still accidentally causes more SkullCrawlers to appear from just his presence on the island, I don’t know.

That way however, both monsters are still viewed as, “good”, but are also extreme in their respective ideals and motivations. Godzilla wants balance at all costs, and Kong wants isolation and peace from everything.

#BotM

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KingKong2005 wrote:No one likes a dog who bows (like bitch-ass Rodan), so I hope they don't go the "bend-the-knee" route.
My inner Rodan just died.

RIP

Showa Rodan

1956 - 1968

You were Godzilla's first true equal.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

G2000 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:Is everyone forgetting about Florida being in the movie? One of the battles is highly likely to be there
Just cause a movie is filmed somewhere doesn't mean the story takes place there.
That’s the thing though; while the the scenes in question were filmed in Hawaii, they were set in Pensacola, Florida (as evidenced by set photos showing police cars marked as “Pensacola Police” and weather vans marked “Pensacola Storm Watch”, among other things.)

There was some filming in Florida, though, but evidently even that was set in Florida (though oddly while they filmed in a Miami high school they changed the setting to “Tallahassee Magnet High” - is this supposed to be Maddie’s new school?)
Pensacola? Holy crap, my old hometown! I wonder if they included the water tower that looks like a beach ball. I'll be peeved if it doesn't look like Pensacola.

I love Pensacola, but kind of an odd spot for kaiju. Despite being a modern city, it's still kind of a small city - as in not a bunch of skyscrapers and crap. Sure, some of the hotels on the beach get pretty tall, and there's the airport and big civic center, but still compared to Godzilla everything there would be dwarfed. Just saying knowing the city firsthand, if I see skyscrapers left and right I'll be like, "Pffft!"
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Vakanai wrote:Pensacola? Holy crap, my old hometown! I wonder if they included the water tower that looks like a beach ball. I'll be peeved if it doesn't look like Pensacola.

I love Pensacola, but kind of an odd spot for kaiju. Despite being a modern city, it's still kind of a small city - as in not a bunch of skyscrapers and crap. Sure, some of the hotels on the beach get pretty tall, and there's the airport and big civic center, but still compared to Godzilla everything there would be dwarfed. Just saying knowing the city firsthand, if I see skyscrapers left and right I'll be like, "Pffft!"
Given that the action seems to span from Pensacola to Tallahassee I wonder if the entire Panhandle is going to get it

You’re right in that they seem relatively small for a big kaiju attack, but maybe that’s the point; a smaller, more “close-to-home” setting before the big globehopping adventure that looks to span from Skull Island to Hong Kong? Miami or Orlando seem more like usual kaiju fare but when it comes to Florida they already get most of the press, and the Monsterverse has already established a bit of a precedent for going for more “out of the way” venues like setting the final battle of KoTM in Boston rather than NYC or LA or something like that (which isn’t to say Boston isn’t in a ton of media already, but I can’t recall any big-budget movies where it just gets leveled)
Last edited by G2000 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm wondering if the smaller city will give Godzilla an advantage and he sends Kong packing due to size and strength difference. Maybe the second fight will be in a bigger city and Kong can utilize surprise tactics and climbing? I dunno just a guess.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Vakanai wrote:
G2000 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Just cause a movie is filmed somewhere doesn't mean the story takes place there.
That’s the thing though; while the the scenes in question were filmed in Hawaii, they were set in Pensacola, Florida (as evidenced by set photos showing police cars marked as “Pensacola Police” and weather vans marked “Pensacola Storm Watch”, among other things.)

There was some filming in Florida, though, but evidently even that was set in Florida (though oddly while they filmed in a Miami high school they changed the setting to “Tallahassee Magnet High” - is this supposed to be Maddie’s new school?)
Pensacola? Holy crap, my old hometown! I wonder if they included the water tower that looks like a beach ball. I'll be peeved if it doesn't look like Pensacola.

Even odder that they'd film in Hawaii for Florida. The fauna, flora,a nd the geographical shape of the 2 differ greatly.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

daveblackeye15 wrote:I'm wondering if the smaller city will give Godzilla an advantage and he sends Kong packing due to size and strength difference. Maybe the second fight will be in a bigger city and Kong can utilize surprise tactics and climbing? I dunno just a guess.
I’m just wondering how Kong gets to Florida, does he just take a Hollow Earth tunnel too?
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

G2000 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Pensacola? Holy crap, my old hometown! I wonder if they included the water tower that looks like a beach ball. I'll be peeved if it doesn't look like Pensacola.

Given that the action seems to span from Pensacola to Tallahassee I wonder if the entire Panhandle is going to get it

You’re right in that they seem relatively small for a big kaiju attack, but maybe that’s the point; a smaller, more “close-to-home” setting before the big globehopping adventure that looks to span from Skull Island to Hong Kong? Miami or Orlando seem more like usual kaiju fare but when it comes to Florida they already get most of the press, and the Monsterverse has already established a bit of a precedent for going for more “out of the way” venues like setting the final battle of KoTM in Boston rather than NYC or LA or something like that (which isn’t to say Boston isn’t in a ton of media already, but I can’t recall any big-budget movies where it just gets leveled)
I don't know, but honestly I'm just glad to see my old backyard in a huge kaiju movie. Plus we never see monster action in small cities. Truthfully for every New York or Miami there's a dozen of smaller cities that are pretty great but never make it in films usually. In Hollywood it's all just small towns and big cities, and not much in the middle.

Fun fact: Pensacola is home to the Blue Angels, and I'd be tickled to see them in a giant monster movie. The stuff they do in those jets is jaw dropping. Saw them like 3 or 4 times in my life, and they never disappointed.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.