Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by GuardianGhido »

Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I find the fact that Shin Godzilla was wounded and bled to MOP bombs to be extremely irritating. Godzilla is supposed to be completely invincible to conventional weaponry dammit!
Bunker busters are not conventional.
But they're just regular bombs that don't approach the level of sci-fi weaponry. Nothing that exists IRL should be able to harm Godzilla in my opinion (Unless a real Dr. Serizawa ends up inventing the Oxygen Destroyer or something, I ain't accepting that)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Maritonic wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote: Back on topic, Godzilla's Revenge will always be the worst Godzilla film.
I feel like this isn't that unpopular of an opinion.
On TK at least it is.

I used to think the same up until a month ago when I marathoned the entire series, plus additional Toho monster films (for a grand total of 54 films). Now I consider Final Wars the worst, from a critical standpoint (though Godzilla's Revenge remains my least favorite.) It didn't even feel like a real movie. And to think I used to be all "Best Godzilla movie EVER!" back then as a preteen.

Going beyond strictly Godzilla though, the Battle in Outer Space still easily takes top spot from both Final Wars and Revenge as being both my least favorite AND the single worst Toho science fiction film I have ever seen. Dunno if that's an Unpopular Opinion or not.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I find the fact that Shin Godzilla was wounded and bled to MOP bombs to be extremely irritating. Godzilla is supposed to be completely invincible to conventional weaponry dammit!
But they're just regular bombs
NO.

They are the strongest bomb second only to nukes. The fact Shin Godzilla survived having them explode IN his body is impressive. I don't think you really understand how powerful these things are. Some fans felt it would have been better to have Bunker Busters injury Godzilla in KOTM.

Heck the only reason a nuke doesn't kill Godzilla is he absorbs huge amounts of radiation that counter act the injuries by temporary boosting his healing speed to outpace the damage he takes. But Bunker Busters don't use radiation.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote: Back on topic, Godzilla's Revenge will always be the worst Godzilla film.
On TK at least it is.

I used to think the same up until a month ago when I marathoned the entire series, plus additional Toho monster films (for a grand total of 54 films). Now I consider Final Wars the worst, from a critical standpoint (though Godzilla's Revenge remains my least favorite.) It didn't even feel like a real movie. And to think I used to be all "Best Godzilla movie EVER!" back then as a preteen.

Going beyond strictly Godzilla though, the Battle in Outer Space still easily takes top spot from both Final Wars and Revenge as being both my least favorite AND the single worst Toho science fiction film I have ever seen. Dunno if that's an Unpopular Opinion or not.
I think Battle has a bit more entertainment value to it than War in Space. War seems like bottom of the barrel to me.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Maritonic wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
On TK at least it is.

I think Battle has a bit more entertainment value to it than War in Space. War seems like bottom of the barrel to me.
Well, War is one of the few I haven't seen yet. Now I'm not sure I'd want to.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

But they're just regular bombs
NO.

They are the strongest bomb second only to nukes. The fact Shin Godzilla survived having them explode IN his body is impressive. I don't think you really understand how powerful these things are. Some fans felt it would have been better to have Bunker Busters injury Godzilla in KOTM.

Heck the only reason a nuke doesn't kill Godzilla is he absorbs huge amounts of radiation that counter act the injuries by temporary boosting his healing speed to outpace the damage he takes. But Bunker Busters don't use radiation.
Really? I thought he could tank the nuke's blasts too? Godzilla certainly isn't realistic so if he can defy the square cube law or whatever it's called, I feel that it shouldn't be hard for him to tank nukes or any other normal explosives to the face even without radiation to heal him up.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Bunker Busters are basically weapons that break through layers of layers of rock and metal and then explode. They`re literally what their name implies, weapons to destroy bunkers. I actually think the stealth bombers and them were some of the coolest additions to the franchise as we rarely see anything like them, and they`re pretty realistic.

And sure they damaged Shin, but it`s not like he instantly didn`t retaliate and create a new way to deal with these things.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I prefer the "invulnerable to conventional weapons" Godzilla myself, at least in regards to antagonistic versions of the character. I feel it fits the symbolism of the character better.

That said, being hurt by bunker busters is like the LEAST most important issue I'd ever take with that version of Godzilla.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I prefer the "invulnerable to conventional weapons" Godzilla myself, at least in regards to antagonistic versions of the character. I feel it fits the symbolism of the character better.

That said, being hurt by bunker busters is like the LEAST most important issue I'd ever take with that version of Godzilla.
I do too; but again it`s not something that I would exactly consider conventional, and I don`t see why this is a big issue because while it did damage him, he instantly had and developed a hard counter. We would be having a wildly different discussion if it actually killed him or caused a major setback.

I think it`s also important to mention a big theme about Shin was the governments inability to act at the right speed according to the disaster. Presumably, the helicopter attack for the fourth form might have been enough to deal with the second or third.

Im not sure if this is unpopular, but I really do wish that they didn`t cut that scene of the third form bleeding. I felt like that form could have used more time, and that "power" would have been unique as well as fit into the narrative of an early nuclear leak.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Everyone here debating whether GKOTM or G'98 was the worst film, and here I am thinking G'14 was the worst one by a wide margin.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:Everyone here debating whether GKOTM or G'98 was the worst film, and here I am thinking G'14 was the worst one by a wide margin.
Which just goes to prove the point that started this whole argument: these three movies can be ranked into six different preference orders, and there are going to be some fans who fall into each of those six groups.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I personally prefer Monster Mash Godzilla movies to Godzilla movies that push him more as a symbol than a character.

I feel the only one that really struck a cord with me was 1954. But personally, I just like the more monster mash fun like KOTM, Final Wars, and a bunch more.

Its not like you can’t mix the two (like GMK), but I have a harder time getting into stuff like Shin Godzilla since... I dunno. I like my Godzilla with personality. I’ll take the grumpy yet willing defender of the planet instead of just a husk that slowly stomps forward and blasts some stuff. If you’re gonna do an evil Godzilla, GMK I feel was the most fun since you could feel the sinister and vengeful vibes he gives off.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Dynomy-DX wrote:I personally prefer Monster Mash Godzilla movies to Godzilla movies that push him more as a symbol than a character.

I feel the only one that really struck a cord with me was 1954. But personally, I just like the more monster mash fun like KOTM, Final Wars, and a bunch more.

Its not like you can’t mix the two (like GMK), but I have a harder time getting into stuff like Shin Godzilla since... I dunno. I like my Godzilla with personality. I’ll take the grumpy yet willing defender of the planet instead of just a husk that slowly stomps forward and blasts some stuff. If you’re gonna do an evil Godzilla, GMK I feel was the most fun since you could feel the sinister and vengeful vibes he gives off.
I think you confused Shin for Anime Godzilla there buddy. Shin at least has some real presence despite being a husk that stomps around and blasts stuff, and at least he blasts stuff in a more engaging way and the destruction is given proper gravitas. He also showed some personality but in a more subtle way that you have to squint to see (The song Who Will Know: Tragedy is the most clear expression of his personality).

But to each their own. There's no reason for you to have to like Shin (unlike what some people here might tell you). I didn't like Shin after I first saw it, only liking it later on. I also generally prefer Monster Mashses with the exception of 54 and Shin.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm also the type that leans toward monster mashes. I love seeing the monsters interact, whether it's to join forces against evil, hold profanity-laden conversations, or simply beat the snot out of each other. The original is still somewhere in the upper half of the franchise for me, though; it's never going to be my personal favorite, but it really is head and shoulders above the crowd quality-wise. Shin I'll need to rewatch; it's certainly a standout in a lot of ways, I can give it that. The destruction of Tokyo was full-on spectacular.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ljacone
Ronin

Post by ljacone »

I think the biggest unpopular opinion I hold is that I like Ebirah as a monster. I think he is overmatched against Godzilla, naturally, but I like him none the less. As such, the mutants defeating Ebirah in Final Wars always rubbed me the wrong way -- yes, these are superpowered mutants and all that, but Ebirah is still a monster.

I think had he tangled with King Kong as originally planned, his threat level would have clearly been much higher and he would be more popular.
Keep 'em stompin'!

Please check out my daikaiju podcast Earth Destruction Directive!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The Mutants were also using futuristic anti-kaiju weaponry. People always seem to forget that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ljacone
Ronin

Post by ljacone »

Having just watched Final Wars last week, no, I did not forget their arsenal. I don't have a problem with them holding their own against Ebirah -- defeating him is a bridge too far for me.
Keep 'em stompin'!

Please check out my daikaiju podcast Earth Destruction Directive!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I honestly feel like the anime movies are the worse Godzilla thing since Godzilla's Revenge (G 98 doesn't count).

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ljacone wrote:I think the biggest unpopular opinion I hold is that I like Ebirah as a monster. I think he is overmatched against Godzilla, naturally, but I like him none the less.
This earns you the right to stay, new guy. There's nothing especially special about Ebirah, but... I dunno, I've just never seen that as a problem. He was and is cool enough for what he was. And being underpowered is the opposite of a problem, for me. I feel like it adds some believability and diversity to the franchise, having some weaker monsters that are just overgrown animals around. Not every kaiju needs to be something as outlandish as Gigan or as powerful as Space Godzilla. A simple big shrimp-lobster hybrid was plenty sufficient to guard an island, prevent ships from coming or going, and threaten the cast in EHOTD, and that was all the story really needed. That he couldn't seriously fight Godzilla is kind of an unimportant side note as far as I'm concerned.

The mutants defeating him in Final Wars is just... something I can't even care about either way. That movie is so much of a mess that it's like, if humans taking down Ebirah is a problem, so what? Most of the movie was problems, this one can get in line. If it's a good thing, who cares? It's a ten-dollar bill in an overflowing dumpster, I don't really want it. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Having monsters like Ebirah being in the PS4 game might have spared us from all the clones.