Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BlankAccount »

I think I have a name for the new fatality.

Eaten Alive.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:The 2014 roar is perfect for the design, because it was made for it, built from the ground up with the creature's character in mind.
I like KOTM a lot but I can't help but find myself agreeing with this a lot, not just in regards to the roar but for almost all of the elements of Godzilla in this film.

The 2014 movie's design philosophy set out to make a Godzilla that was brand new to the franchise and unique to its own universe while KOTM was focusing too much on bringing in familiar elements. While I honestly love the new 54-style spines on the design, most of the other changes just felt like it wasn't giving KOTM's Godzilla it's own identity or expanding on the one established in 2014. It just felt like it was trying too hard to be a Toho Godzilla instead of just doubling down on being what it really is: an American Godzilla.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

UltramanGoji wrote:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:The 2014 roar is perfect for the design, because it was made for it, built from the ground up with the creature's character in mind.
I like KOTM a lot but I can't help but find myself agreeing with this a lot, not just in regards to the roar but for almost all of the elements of Godzilla in this film.

The 2014 movie's design philosophy set out to make a Godzilla that was brand new to the franchise and unique to its own universe while KOTM was focusing too much on bringing in familiar elements. While I honestly love the new 54-style spines on the design, most of the other changes just felt like it wasn't giving KOTM's Godzilla it's own identity or expanding on the one established in 2014. It just felt like it was trying too hard to be a Toho Godzilla instead of just doubling down on being what it really is: an American Godzilla.
I agree with this. It felt lie a lot of what it was to try to appeal to purists. Who aren't ever going to like it.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I still remember Godzilla 1998 (I was there Gandalf, lol) so it is a nice change of pace to see a fan make a very fine movie. That said I do hope Godzilla vs. Kong is a little more like Godzilla 2014 when it comes to Godzilla. I don't mind the slight design tweaks at all though.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Living Corpse wrote:I think I have a name for the new fatality.

Eaten Alive.
I like how Ghidorah's single head makes noise without having lungs or working airways to make said noise. :lol:

It’s sort of something that doesn't matter at first, and you brush it off as fiction and whatnot, but there's a reason why "science" is the keyword in "science fiction."
UltramanGoji wrote:

This is what I've been saying since I posted my initial thoughts on KOTM. The movie tries to be something it's not in many ways, and that is, overall, the reason why I was disappointed with it (besides the plot, jokes, pacing, cinematography, etc). It didn't necessarily feel like a true sequel to the 2014 film in my opinion. This is the reason why I'm kind of against the Oxygen Destroyer, Maser Cannons, mystical Mothra stuff, possible Mechagodzilla, and so on.

KOTM has what seems to be issues with its identity, trying to be a continuation of the MonsterVerse and also a Toho-style Godzilla film at once, forcing it to clash hard with the direction of Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island. This movie also has Dougherty and Shields' ideas for what they wanted Godzilla to be in this film, and all of those ideas combined with the overarching identity issue of the film led to some major changes in tone for the future of the MonsterVerse in my opinion. I read a few reviews from both fans and critics in which some people stated that this Godzilla doesn't quite seem like the same one from 2014. I'm almost worried about Godzilla vs. Kong.

Both of the previous films before this one did something different and new with the titular monsters, keeping aspects of the originals and expanding upon them in divergent and modern ways. They were fresh reinterpretations of classics instead of clinging to the classics. They paid homage to their predecessors, rather than essentially imitating them.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:

Eaten Alive.
I like how Ghidorah's single head makes noise without having lungs or working airways to make said noise. :lol:

It’s sort of something that doesn't matter at first, and you brush it off as fiction and whatnot, but there's a reason why "science" is the keyword in "science fiction."
Don't care.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:

Eaten Alive.

Well, he's an alien, so perhaps he manipulates the air to make sounds differently
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I honestly have no problems with the KOTM design tweaks at all. In fact, I love them. The small, rather bland looking triangle spines and tiny, Sauropod-like claws were my least favorite aspect with the 2014 design (tho I still love it), so i'm glad to see those changed in particular. While it is true that some of those changes were made with the intent of emulating classic designs, I personally see this as some sort of a "tradition"- Godzilla had tweaks to his design in one way or another in every new movie, even in the same continuity lol. And honestly, aside from those tweaks, he's very much still the same as 2014 character and behavior wise. I love that they explain those changes as him evolving and adapting to changing conditions, perfect way of making those changes feel in place. Just my opinion tho.

However, I do agree in regards to the roar. I liked the brief Showa roar when he fell down the ice crater, and the mixes between his Legendary roar and 1954 one were neat too- but the Boston roar felt off and shoved in for fanservice. It really didn't feel powerful or impactful. I would personally like to see a majorily 2014 type vocalization in GvK, with a dash of those 2014/Showa/1954 mixings thrown in.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

2020 design they finally put some bone white into the spines! :shock:

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I doubt they will change the KOTM design for GvK, but that would be pretty neat. Although I actually like the monotone spines, makes for a really striking glow pattern when he charges his atomic breath.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Hopefully they don’t change his design, as aside from the shorter tail, I think Godzilla looks nigh perfect in KotM. Plus, depending on how soon Godzilla vs Kong takes place after its predecessor, a design change wouldn’t make too much sense.

#BotM

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Watch, they'll give him a slight redesign just to "justfy" selling more Godzilla toys in 2020 as a tie in for GVK. Can't let Kon be the only lead monster to get merch sold that year.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Godzilla165 wrote:Hopefully they don’t change his design, as aside from the shorter tail, I think Godzilla looks nigh perfect in KotM. Plus, depending on how soon Godzilla vs Kong takes place after its predecessor, a design change wouldn’t make too much sense.
Agreed. Honestly the KOTM design is everything I wished for in a modernized Godzilla, a perfect blend of old and new. Not to mention, as you said, GvK will happen soon after KOTM, and nothing really happened that could make his design change radically.

But, as LivingCorpse said, it's very likely that they will slightly tweak it in some areas just to excuse more figures being made lol. I wouldn't mind seeing something minor but noticeable, perhaps a scar here and there (would look pretty badass). Maybe make his tail slightly longer.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Dv-218 wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:Hopefully they don’t change his design, as aside from the shorter tail, I think Godzilla looks nigh perfect in KotM. Plus, depending on how soon Godzilla vs Kong takes place after its predecessor, a design change wouldn’t make too much sense.
Agreed. Honestly the KOTM design is everything I wished for in a modernized Godzilla, a perfect blend of old and new. Not to mention, as you said, GvK will happen soon after KOTM, and nothing really happened that could make his design change radically.

But, as LivingCorpse said, it's very likely that they will slightly tweak it in some areas just to excuse more figures being made lol. I wouldn't mind seeing something minor but noticeable, perhaps a scar here and there (would look pretty badass). Maybe make his tail slightly longer.
He'll probably keep the scar over that chunk of flesh missing near his eye and one thing I'd really like would be for his spines to turn bone-white, justified by the Burning Nuclear Pulses somehow changing their color, maybe burning off an outer carapace and leaving only bones for the spikes?
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

He'll probably keep the scar over that chunk of flesh missing near his eye and one thing I'd really like would be for his spines to turn bone-white, justified by the Burning Nuclear Pulses somehow changing their color, maybe burning off an outer carapace and leaving only bones for the spikes?
Oh right, forgot about the forehead scar he had during the ending scene. Yeah I imagine they'll probably keep it just to further the "hardened, badass warrior" aspect with him.
Although I don't have a problem with the monotone plates, something in the vein of what you described would be pretty neat. Perhaps have the edges of his spines bone-white with the base/center being grayish, kinda like the Heisei suits and some of the Showa ones. Would make for a rather striking visual appearance imo.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

His design is fine. We don’t need his spines to change color to take away some more of his uniqueness
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah, honestly fine with the spines being the way they are too. I really like the rune-like patterns on them that shine when he charges.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I actually like the idea of his spines having a constant faint glow.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I actually like the idea of his spines having a constant faint glow.
yes its very unique.

FinalSmash1689
Yojimbo

Post by FinalSmash1689 »

Sonic wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I actually like the idea of his spines having a constant faint glow.
yes its very unique.
I do too!!! I think it would be a constant reminder of Godzilla's duality; being that he is a very unique creature yet beyond dangerous!!!