The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

daveblackeye15 wrote:So supposedly Toy Story 4 is under performing a bit.
So right now I'm all like...
https://preview.redd.it/pqjxub8bcu111.g ... 43c1a96574
Pixar should had kept it was the perfect trilogy it was.

Karma is biting them back like a lil *****! :twisted:

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Smuggers »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

You guys know that despite "under-performing" it still had a 120 million domestic opening and broke the record for biggest worldwide opening for an animated movie, right? Hardly something to gloat over as a failure.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I know but I just wanted to use Loki.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Smuggers wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

You guys know that despite "under-performing" it still had a 120 million domestic opening and broke the record for biggest worldwide opening for an animated movie, right? Hardly something to gloat over as a failure.
I hate when news says a movie with a 118m OW that critics and audience members like and is breaking records is underperforimg just because it was predicted to do higher numbers. Hasn't be a 100+ domestic opening since Endgame in a 3 day weekend.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Smuggers wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

Not really something to gloat over but more scratch our heads, I think? The common assumption is that everything is weak this summer due to Disney films overperforming, so a Disney film missing its mark by like $30 Million is a surprise after Endgame and Aladdin exceeded expectations.

My personal theory is that Disney's releases are starting to cannibalize themselves.

Added in 2 minutes 50 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote:I hate when news says a movie with a 118m OW that critics and audience members like and is breaking records is underperforimg just because it was predicted to do higher numbers. Hasn't be a 100+ domestic opening since Endgame in a 3 day weekend.
Underperforming =/= Performing Poorly

I mean, what other word are you going to use when the studio and all the usual suspects predicted an OW of $150M or more and it ended up just shy of $120M? Toy Story 4 is doing very well and is going to be one of the highest grossing movies of the year, but it's not going to be AS big as expected and that's an honest surprise.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

Added in 2 minutes 50 seconds:

Underperforming =/= Performing Poorly

I mean, what other word are you going to use when the studio and all the usual suspects predicted an OW of $150M or more and it ended up just shy of $120M? Toy Story 4 is doing very well and is going to be one of the highest grossing movies of the year, but it's not going to be AS big as expected and that's an honest surprise.
Because at some point what do executives want a film to do make 200m every opening weekend. Kotm underperformed, if Toy Story 4 goes and hits 1B it seems silly to me to say well it only made 118m domestically especially when its opened higher than Toy Story 3.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

miguelnuva wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
Because at some point what do executives want a film to do make 200m every opening weekend. Kotm underperformed, if Toy Story 4 goes and hits 1B it seems silly to me to say well it only made 118m domestically especially when its opened higher than Toy Story 3.
*Shrug*

Every movie has different requirements and expectations. Clearly, Disney didn't just want it to open bigger than Toy Story 3, they wanted it to open WAY bigger.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Next week we're gonna hit 380m and soon after we'll be in the clear :).

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Smuggers wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

I thought Incredibles 2 had the biggest worldwide opening for an animated movie.
Long Live The King

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

ultrazilla wrote:Next week we're gonna hit 380m and soon after we'll be in the clear :).
425 is break even
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Hokmuto wrote: I thought Incredibles 2 had the biggest worldwide opening for an animated movie.
It did, but now Toy Story 4 does.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Gothicserpent wrote:
ultrazilla wrote:Next week we're gonna hit 380m and soon after we'll be in the clear :).
425 is break even
Maybe. Maybe not. We don't truly know, it's all speculation.

No matter what the movie makes, you can rest assured that the studios will make it show a loss somehow.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Is this new? Is China getting a second extension for KOTM or is this just the same one? Extended to July 30th it says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNC8xVdZ5Tk

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Is this new? Is China getting a second extension for KOTM or is this just the same one? Extended to July 30th it says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNC8xVdZ5Tk
You're really late. It's already been talked about. :lol:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well that's why I asked if this was the same extension or it got a second extension since that video came out today.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Either way its good news.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Gothicserpent wrote:
425 is break even
Might be even less as others have mentioned. Plus the merch sales and China's extended showing we're breaking even sooner or later alright.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Seeing Godzilla again tonight, but a general heads up if you want to see it in theaters, do so now. In my area, its leaving a ton of theaters and I'd assume its not just isolated to my location.

Anyway, it'll probably reach 375 to 400. Considering everything is under performing, I wouldn't say that's bad at all.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

ultrazilla wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:
425 is break even
Might be even less as others have mentioned. Plus the merch sales and China's extended showing we're breaking even sooner or later alright.
Yep. $425M is the normal rule of thumb number, but as pointed out elsewhere it's likely somewhere less than that thanks to the complicated corporate backing of KOTM.

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
Greyshot151 wrote:Seeing Godzilla again tonight, but a general heads up if you want to see it in theaters, do so now. In my area, its leaving a ton of theaters and I'd assume its not just isolated to my location.

Anyway, it'll probably reach 375 to 400. Considering everything is under performing, I wouldn't say that's bad at all.
It's Warner Brothers' second highest grossing movie of the year. I think the only thing that'll probably top it (and Detective Pikachu) is It: Chapter Two.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Pkmatrix wrote:
ultrazilla wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote: 425 is break even
Yep. $425M is the normal rule of thumb number, but as pointed out elsewhere it's likely somewhere less than that thanks to the complicated corporate backing of KOTM.

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
Greyshot151 wrote:Seeing Godzilla again tonight, but a general heads up if you want to see it in theaters, do so now. In my area, its leaving a ton of theaters and I'd assume its not just isolated to my location.

It's Warner Brothers' second highest grossing movie of the year. I think the only thing that'll probably top it (and Detective Pikachu) is It: Chapter Two.
Deadline has said its still 25% for China. So, 425
Long Live The King