Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Terasawa »

In general I prefer the Japanese pacing too, but where it falters for me is in the SFX footage because Godzilla seems really lethargic and wandering around without a purpose. Contrast that to the 1954 rampage or even Shin Godzilla, which at least is much more chaotic. I also don't think Ken Tanaka and Yasuko Sawaguchi were good enough actors to give the longer scenes the dramatic weight they should have had (like Naoko and Goro's fearful embrace before leaving the high rise).

Godzilla 1985 turns a disaster film into a fast-paced action flick. It's very much a different film and I like both for different reasons.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love that in a lot of ways Godzilla 1985 feels like a typical Hollywood blockbuster of the era which I think gives it a slightly unique feel. It feels very much of its era. In comparison the rest of the Heisei era feels a little dated especially in comparison to contemporary films around the world.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ljacone
Ronin

Post by ljacone »

My Kaiju Fan Confession: I have a really, really hard time watching Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla '74. Growing up, I had Terror of Mechagodzilla on tape, and it was part of the regular rotation of Godzilla movies I would watch, but I did not have the previous film until I was about 12 or 13 years old. In the interim I had read in several places about the superiority of the first film over ToM -- I specifically remember this being stated in Jeff Rovin's The Encyclopedia of Monsters, which I seemingly read on a constant loop.

So you can imagine my disappointment when I finally did get GvsMG on VHS, and found it to really, really drag in the middle. It starts out well, and the last reel is great, but the middle is just a slog. Especially compared to ToM, which just moves ahead briskly.

Every time I watch GvsMG I say "this time I am going to really engage in this," and every time it is rough sailing!
Keep 'em stompin'!

Please check out my daikaiju podcast Earth Destruction Directive!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ljacone wrote:My Kaiju Fan Confession: I have a really, really hard time watching Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla '74. Growing up, I had Terror of Mechagodzilla on tape, and it was part of the regular rotation of Godzilla movies I would watch, but I did not have the previous film until I was about 12 or 13 years old. In the interim I had read in several places about the superiority of the first film over ToM -- I specifically remember this being stated in Jeff Rovin's The Encyclopedia of Monsters, which I seemingly read on a constant loop.

So you can imagine my disappointment when I finally did get GvsMG on VHS, and found it to really, really drag in the middle. It starts out well, and the last reel is great, but the middle is just a slog. Especially compared to ToM, which just moves ahead briskly.

Every time I watch GvsMG I say "this time I am going to really engage in this," and every time it is rough sailing!
Yep, I'm a similar story. I was lead to believe it was the best of all the Mechagodzilla movies; in reality it was only marginally better than Godzilla vs Gigan. I've warmed up a bit since then but that first impression was not the most pleasant one.

Terror of Mechagodzilla is so much better it's not even funny.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Terror is certainly a better movie but I don't think it's as exciting or enjoyable as its predecessor. MG74 is like a big chase until the climactic battle begins. But they're kind of hard to compare 1:1 since they're trying to accomplish different things. The first is a straightforward sci-fi actioner and the sequel is a tragedy with giant monsters in it.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:In comparison the rest of the Heisei era feels a little dated especially in comparison to contemporary films around the world.
Maybe that's because most of those movies were made in the traditional Toho style after Hollywood SFX had entered the digital realm. Godzilla 1985 wasn't too far behind Hollywood but less than a decade later Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II looks like a relic compared to the same year's Jurassic Park.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:MG74 is like a big chase until the climactic battle begins.
This is why (personally) I've never been able to get really into this movie. It feels like a lot of running around with no real purpose. If the characters were better developed along the way, that'd be a different matter, but since I don't really feel like I know or care about them at all, it's just bodies occupying space until the monsters show up.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

I enjoy Ebirah Horror of the Deep. The cast is a big part of it. They seem to mesh well, and it's very different from most other "Godzilla" movies.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I don't like the designs of Sanda or Gaira at all or their origins as Frankenstein's "children" but I do like their characterizations and the plot of WotG minus the Frankenstein part.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GuardianGhido wrote:I don't like the designs of Sanda or Gaira at all or their origins as Frankenstein's "children" but I do like their characterizations and the plot of WotG minus the Frankenstein part.
So a fan of the U.S. release then? ;)
eabaker wrote:
Terasawa wrote:MG74 is like a big chase until the climactic battle begins.
This is why (personally) I've never been able to get really into this movie. It feels like a lot of running around with no real purpose. If the characters were better developed along the way, that'd be a different matter, but since I don't really feel like I know or care about them at all, it's just bodies occupying space until the monsters show up.
Yeah, I'll give you that; they're very much there just to move the plot along. Still, despite that, the whole movie is engaging enough for me to overlook that.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

I have trouble staying focused when watching suitmation scenes. I'll think "oh, I'd like to have monster props like that" and not pay attention to anything that's actually happening on screen. CGI does distract me also, but less so than suitmation.
Last edited by Beast Blood on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Terasawa wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I don't like the designs of Sanda or Gaira at all or their origins as Frankenstein's "children" but I do like their characterizations and the plot of WotG minus the Frankenstein part.
So a fan of the U.S. release then? ;)
Yep. The Gargantuas are better as original monsters than Frankenstein clones IMO. Might be the reason I don't like their designs. I would have preferred something more bestial and less humanoid.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

ljacone
Ronin

Post by ljacone »

Red-Death Gigan wrote:I enjoy Ebirah Horror of the Deep. The cast is a big part of it. They seem to mesh well, and it's very different from most other "Godzilla" movies.
I very much enjoyed watching EHotD for my podcast last year. I did a pretty deep dive insofar as research and background, and I think that helped with my enjoyment of the film. I especially like it in context of what had come before it -- compared to the previous films, it definitely is a "change of pace" film. Also, perfect summer viewing!
Keep 'em stompin'!

Please check out my daikaiju podcast Earth Destruction Directive!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The cast does a great job with the film. They're not the typical kind of characters in these kinds of movies, but they keep the movie running and give us both intense and funny scenes.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gonna join in to the Ebirah positivity talk here. It might not be my favorite movie from that era, but I can't help but enjoy every moment of the movie's rather unique tone and pace, and a surprisingly great cast of enjoyable characters. The plot feels like a typical semi-comedic 60's action thriller in the best way possible, and say what you want about Ebirah being generic but his Bond-like theme is ridiculously awesome. Also, the "Red Bamboo" organization were pretty cool villains, and it's neat to see a Showa movie where the non-monster threat doesn't come from aliens.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I would join in the Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster love, but it feels like we just did this pretty recently in the thread dedicated to the movie, and I don't really have anything new to say right now. But, yeah, a damned fun flick that is too often forgotten in discussions of the series (it is kind of a minor entry wedged between far more significant ones).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Just going to pop in to say that I think Ebirah has one of the most "realistic" suits in the entire series.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Ebirah's bangin' and it's been slept on for far too long.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster is definitly a fun movie. Also, Kumi Mizuno is hawt!
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Also, Godzilla and Ebirah throwing rocks at each other in a beach volleyball style will never not be funny :lol:

And yeah, I gotta say that in general the tone of the movie is pretty damn fun, a good hearted island adventure mixed with a criminal conspiracy thriller is a rather unique combination that makes for some tense but funny moments simultaneously. And the jammy soundtrack js a blast.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It's one of my earliest films so I'll always have a major soft spot for it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983