Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by _JNavs_ »

So I was watching TheCyberNerds review of KOTM (Really enjoyed it), and they brought up an interesting point.

Stay with me here, I'm sure there's plot holes and incorrect ideas, but they seem based enough to think about.

Godzilla and Ghidorah have been beefing for Millennia.
Godzilla's finally killed Ghidorah.

What if that just sent a beacon to whatever sent Ghidorah down in the first place? (Yes, I prefer Ghidorah of his own free will as well)
What if Godzilla just became King of the Monsters, not to serve as a King, but instead to lead an Army against whatever gets sent down next?

They said it'd be crazy if 4 more Ghidorah's showed up, but I'm thinking there's a helluva lot of variety of kaiju to pick and choose from.

New ones, old ones, the ideas are endless.

Nothing substantial, just some food for thought.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

_JNavs_ wrote:So I was watching TheCyberNerds review of KOTM (Really enjoyed it), and they brought up an interesting point.

Stay with me here, I'm sure there's plot holes and incorrect ideas, but they seem based enough to think about.

What if that just sent a beacon to whatever sent Ghidorah down in the first place? (Yes, I prefer Ghidorah of his own free will as well)
What if Godzilla just became King of the Monsters, not to serve as a King, but instead to lead an Army against whatever gets sent down next?

They said it'd be crazy if 4 more Ghidorah's showed up, but I'm thinking there's a helluva lot of variety of kaiju to pick and choose from.

Yeah, there are a couple of question I had about Ghidorah being an alien, how did Ghidorah get to Earth, and why did he come to Earth?
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gojira2K wrote:Yeah, there are a couple of question I had about Ghidorah being an alien, how did Ghidorah get to Earth, and why did he come to Earth?
Given his known reputation for destroying all life on planets (They don't call him the Destroyer of Worlds/King of Terror for nothing). I take it earth was among those he came across.

I like to think too as part of my MonsterVerse headcanon both Venus are Mars once harbored life but were wiped out by King Ghidorah. Earth was lucky due to harboring giant monsters like King Ghidorah and that King Ghidorah was also responsible for the Permian-Triassic Extinction event but was stop short by Godzilla forcing him to flee only to then return 250 millions years later to try again (Thinking Godzilla is dead at this point) during the last Ice Age hence the inspiration for various dragons and serpents in legends like the Hydra and Rainbow Serpent.

How he got frozen is during one of Godzilla's and King Ghidorah's fights. Their fight lead them to Antarctica at some point in history and during it King Ghidorah was buried by an avalanche.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gojira2K wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:So I was watching TheCyberNerds review of KOTM (Really enjoyed it), and they brought up an interesting point.

Yeah, there are a couple of question I had about Ghidorah being an alien, how did Ghidorah get to Earth, and why did he come to Earth?
And how did he stay still enough to get locked in ice? Probably from a Godzilla fight tbh.

More food for thought building off their theory.

What if they're teasing all these fights, so that when the trilogy peaks, with a Godzilla 3. It'll be the BIGGEST monster mash and scale we've EVER seen before. Rows of Kaiju ready to duke it out with say, 4 or 5 ridiculously strong Extraterrestrial Titans and hell, throw some aliens in there too.

It'd be Destroy All Monsters and Invasion of the Astro-Monster mixed with PacRim on steroids
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:It'd be cool if the storm lifted Godzilla and dropped him instead of the dragon itself...
So make ghidorah an airbender?
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla ² General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Ben Shapiro wrote:If you want proof, why don’t you just go through Sayaka’s post history yourself.

I know for a fact I recall him saying those sketches were screen accurate.
His exact words are "I can guarantee that the effect of my paintings is close to that of the finished films", which is true.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

His behemoth and Scylla drawings were on point
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Was I the only one that didn't like that the added the Japanese Godzilla roar to Godzilla in this?
Not that I don't like the roar I just feel like it didn't fit the animal itself. Just felt like it was thrown in the try and please Toho fans and out of place. Especially when at the end of the film when Godzilla arrives at Boston after blasting Ghidorah with the atomic breath before killing Madison. As Madison turns around and you hear the roar it feels so out of place.

I don't know it just doesn't fit the design of Legendary's Godzilla. I felt the same way in the Heisei series when the switched the roar back from the deep growl that fit the design from G-1985 to Godzilla vs King Ghidorah back to the Showa roar... It didn't fit and neither did this. Keep the 2014 roar only for Godzilla vs Kong.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I didn't have a problem with the roar.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I absolutely adored the old roar I’m KOTM
GO GO GOJI KUN

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Was I the only one that didn't like that the added the Japanese Godzilla roar to Godzilla in this?
Not that I don't like the roar I just feel like it didn't fit the animal itself. Just felt like it was thrown in the try and please Toho fans and out of place. Especially when at the end of the film when Godzilla arrives at Boston after blasting Ghidorah with the atomic breath before killing Madison. As Madison turns around and you hear the roar it feels so out of place.

I don't know it just doesn't fit the design of Legendary's Godzilla. I felt the same way in the Heisei series when the switched the roar back from the deep growl that fit the design from G-1985 to Godzilla vs King Ghidorah back to the Showa roar... It didn't fit and neither did this. Keep the 2014 roar only for Godzilla vs Kong.
The sudden full Showa roar at Boston is off.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I could've done without it. I'm not positive it provides anything besides paying lip service to the old stuff. That sort of encapsulates how I feel about pretty much all the tweaks made to the design in KoTM, pretty unnecessary.
Last edited by Smuggers on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It was fine when he fell in Antarctica, felt well placed like an Easter egg.

The one in Boston was a bit off though.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

I liked the combining of the '54 and '14 roars when he was howling at Ghidorah, and the Showa roar when he fell into the hole, but the scene in Boston was definitely not the time for the Showa roar again. should've been the 2014 long roar, with maybe a little of '54 mixed in.

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
the Showa roar should only be used for pain/surprise with this rendition of Godzilla, imo.
Last edited by ClandestineCanine9 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Boston was the only time the Showa roar really felt off to me, as it didn’t carry the weight and gravity that Godzilla’s grand entrance should have like Legendary’s own roar would’ve. Every other instance was fine and felt natural, but at the same time, I do kind of hope that they stick with the Legendary roars for Godzilla vs Kong.

#BotM

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I wouldn't be upset if they stuck to his Legendary roar. I mean I loved hearing the Showa roar but for Godzilla vs. Kong hopefully it's a bit more Legendaryesque.

Oh yeah impromptu showing number 8. There were four other people in there with two leaving just as Mothra was about to come out of her cocoon. Losers. I didn't even realize the other two were in there since I figured I was alone and I turned my phone on. I wanted to time the Boston finale. When Godzilla saves Madison it was about 11:50 and by the time the credits started to roll it was 12:14. I lost track because the crowning scene was epic or I would have checked the time around the 'burp' part. Damn that part flies by and I figured it was a solid 30 minutes on my first watch.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Godzilla165 wrote:Boston was the only time the Showa roar really felt off to me, as it didn’t carry the weight and gravity that Godzilla’s grand entrance should have like Legendary’s own roar would’ve. Every other instance was fine and felt natural, but at the same time, I do kind of hope that they stick with the Legendary roars for Godzilla vs Kong.
I agree, most of the time, the Showa roars blended in seamlessly, but that one instance was a little unexpected. Some scenes also blended the SKREE of legendary with the ONK of Showa and vice versa, which I thought was pretty awesome. He even made a bit of his dying roar from 54 when he was being drained dry by KG before transforming!
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I actually loved the mixed-in Showa vocals for Godzilla, felt like a really neat update. But I do agree that the Boston roar felt a little off and not quite as impactful, so to speak. My favorite variation is the one that starts with the Legendary "skree" but ends with either the Showa or 1954 "oonk", imo the best of both worlds. I hope this will be the variation used in GvK.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I just realized the only time we see Godzilla's standard breathe weapon is the first and last ones. All the others where when he was charged up. Even then looks like his standard blasts are still a bit stronger than the 2014 versions. So my head cannon is what it says in the novelization: Mutos were weakening his attack and he needed to roll a crit to use it.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Was I the only one that didn't like that the added the Japanese Godzilla roar to Godzilla in this?

Exactly my feelings on the sound design for Godzilla.

It's pretty bothersome for me. It just doesn't fit with this design of Godzilla in my opinion. The 2014 roar is perfect for the design, because it was made for it, built from the ground up with the creature's character in mind. The Showa era roars don't have the same type of sound I expect from a larger Godzilla, much less Legendary's Godzilla. It's like a tiger growling like a bobcat or something. Again, there's no problem with the Showa era sound effects; they are great and fit with a 50 meter tall monster that, honestly, looks pretty silly most times. Even the 1954 roar doesn't fit right.
_JNavs_ wrote:It was fine when he fell in Antarctica, felt well placed like an Easter egg.

The one in Boston was a bit off though.
The thing is, an Easter egg is supposed to be subtle and well placed. It is meant to be a secret. There's no secret in blending the Showa roars with the Legendary roars. For me, it sticks out like a sore thumb. In an interview with Dougherty back in March, it was mentioned that Godzilla's roar would be changed to sound more like the original, but I never expected that the reuse of classic roars would be their solution to that.

Where was E2 on this one? Erik Aadahl is credited as one of the sound designers on IMDB, but almost definitely only for the reused sound effects. The sound design isn't to the same quality here, so it cannot be right.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol: