The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Post by miguelnuva »

Living Corpse wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Well according to the novel, the Skullcrawlers are raising hell on Skull Island, not only that, but a flock of Leafwings have escaped the storms around Skull Island and joined Scylla, Behemoth, Methusulah, Rodan, and Muto 3 in Boston.
And people are saying King Kong wasn't doing poop. He may not care what happens off his island, but his keeping the Skullcrawlers from leaving probably helped save lives, less monsters for the rest of the world to deal with.
If the skullcrawlers leave and piss off Godzilla which they would be doing they'll be begging to get back on the island with Kong.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

martian001
Ronin

Post by martian001 »

I know Dougherty said 'bat creatures from Skull Island' were present during the final shot, but I still can't remember seeing them. Just another one of those things that justifies going frame by frame when the Blu-ray comes out.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

martian001 wrote:I know Dougherty said 'bat creatures from Skull Island' were present during the final shot, but I still can't remember seeing them. Just another one of those things that justifies going frame by frame when the Blu-ray comes out.
They were in the novelization. Not too sure about the movie itself. (Then again, considering how pathetically small they are compared to Goji and the likes, we'd probably not see them at all)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

martian001
Ronin

Post by martian001 »

I wonder if they move through the scene like a flock of birds.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GuardianGhido wrote:
martian001 wrote:I know Dougherty said 'bat creatures from Skull Island' were present during the final shot, but I still can't remember seeing them. Just another one of those things that justifies going frame by frame when the Blu-ray comes out.
They were in the novelization. Not too sure about the movie itself. (Then again, considering how pathetically small they are compared to Goji and the likes, we'd probably not see them at all)
They actually grow to be pretty big, big enough to fight his parents and ancestors. King Kong just kills them before they get that big, the Skull Devil was one that managed to slip through the cracks and even then it wasn't as big as the ones his species has fought in the past, Skull Devil was medium sized like him, probably a teenager like him.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
They actually grow to be pretty big, big enough to fight his parents and ancestors. King Kong just kills them before they get that big, the Skull Devil was one that managed to slip through the cracks and even then it wasn't as big as the ones his species has fought in the past, Skull Devil was medium sized like him, probably a teenager like him.

As dope as these pics are, we were talking about those really small leafwings lol
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: They were in the novelization. Not too sure about the movie itself. (Then again, considering how pathetically small they are compared to Goji and the likes, we'd probably not see them at all)

As dope as these pics are, we were talking about those really small leafwings lol
Oh my bad.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

I didn't notice them the first time I saw it but upon a rewatch last weekend I could've swore you can see small flying creatures in the distance in the scenes where the Titans are approaching Godzilla before the bow. I could totally have imagined it though simply because I heard this.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

I really want to see Kong take on Behemoth in the next movie. Kong will surely win, and if such a fight does happen I don't expect it to be much more than a brief, passing scene. Still it would be awesome.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Could that HD Behemoth image be from a deleted scene?

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Could that HD Behemoth image be from a deleted scene?
It is from the credit news article of Behemoth just with actual color,
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Just curious. In the novelization, Typhon is one of the 17 titans that woke up yet at the same time, the book heavily implies that Ghidorah is the source of the Typhon myth.

Did Typhon already exist and got overshadowed by Ghidorah or something?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Just curious. In the novelization, Typhon is one of the 17 titans that woke up yet at the same time, the book heavily implies that Ghidorah is the source of the Typhon myth.

This might be a Leviathan situation. Godzilla inspired the biblical Leviathan but there is still a Titanus Leviathan.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Just curious. In the novelization, Typhon is one of the 17 titans that woke up yet at the same time, the book heavily implies that Ghidorah is the source of the Typhon myth.

This might be a Leviathan situation. Godzilla inspired the biblical Leviathan but there is still a Titanus Leviathan.
Which is ironic since Godzilla is clearly male yet in the bible the Leviathan is female (God made a pair, a male and female, but killed off the male because a breed of them would destroy the world).

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Which is ironic since Godzilla is clearly male yet in the bible the Leviathan is female (God made a pair, a male and female, but killed off the male because a breed of them would destroy the world).
I'll contest this. In most English translations of the Bible the Leviathan is referred to as a male (for example in Job 41, where he is repeatedly referred to as a "he" and and as a "king"). The idea of there once having been two Leviathans but God having slain one to prevent them from breeding seems to have originated by later Judaic scholars; but even so they tend to specify that the female was the one slain by God while the male was spared.
The great fish in the sea, and in the words of the Aggadah (B.B. 74b), this refers to the Leviathan and its mate, for He created them male and female, and He slew the female and salted her away for the righteous in the future, for if they would propagate, the world could not exist because of them. הַתַּנִינִם is written. [I.e., the final “yud,” which denotes the plural, is missing, hence the implication that the Leviathan did not remain two, but that its number was reduced to one.]- [from Gen. Rabbah 7:4, Midrash Chaseroth V’Yetheroth, Batei Midrashoth, vol 2, p. 225].
That being said there are some other later Jewish texts that describe the Leviathan as a female, notably the Book of Enoch. My point still stands, though; Leviathan tends to generally be seen and depicted as a male.

Headcanon time: the ancient mythological staple of a storm god slaying a giant reptilian sea monster (Yahweh slaying a Leviathan in Abrahamic religion, Hadad slaying Lotan in Canaanite mythology, Thor slaying Jormungandr in Norse mythology, the Hittite Tarhunz slaying Illuyanka) is in the Monsterverse a corruption of ancient retellings of Godzilla's numerous battles with Ghidorah, and the idea of Leviathan once having had a mate who was slain originates in psychics who have encountered Godzilla, who remembers how his own mate died in the jaws of Ghidorah many years ago (the novelization and one scene in the film seem to indicate that psychic powers do exist in the Monsterverse).
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

G2000 wrote:(the novelization and one scene in the film seem to indicate that psychic powers do exist in the Monsterverse).
The redacted text apparently confirm this as true.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

G2000 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Which is ironic since Godzilla is clearly male yet in the bible the Leviathan is female (God made a pair, a male and female, but killed off the male because a breed of them would destroy the world).
I'll contest this. In most English translations of the Bible the Leviathan is referred to as a male (for example in Job 41, where he is repeatedly referred to as a "he" and and as a "king"). The idea of there once having been two Leviathans but God having slain one to prevent them from breeding seems to have originated by later Judaic scholars; but even so they tend to specify that the female was the one slain by God while the male was spared.
The great fish in the sea, and in the words of the Aggadah (B.B. 74b), this refers to the Leviathan and its mate, for He created them male and female, and He slew the female and salted her away for the righteous in the future, for if they would propagate, the world could not exist because of them. הַתַּנִינִם is written. [I.e., the final “yud,” which denotes the plural, is missing, hence the implication that the Leviathan did not remain two, but that its number was reduced to one.]- [from Gen. Rabbah 7:4, Midrash Chaseroth V’Yetheroth, Batei Midrashoth, vol 2, p. 225].
That being said there are some other later Jewish texts that describe the Leviathan as a female, notably the Book of Enoch. My point still stands, though; Leviathan tends to generally be seen and depicted as a male.

Headcanon time: the ancient mythological staple of a storm god slaying a giant reptilian sea monster (Yahweh slaying a Leviathan in Abrahamic religion, Hadad slaying Lotan in Canaanite mythology, Thor slaying Jormungandr in Norse mythology, the Hittite Tarhunz slaying Illuyanka) is in the Monsterverse a corruption of ancient retellings of Godzilla's numerous battles with Ghidorah, and the idea of Leviathan once having had a mate who was slain originates in psychics who have encountered Godzilla, who remembers how his own mate died in the jaws of Ghidorah many years ago (the novelization and one scene in the film seem to indicate that psychic powers do exist in the Monsterverse).
The book of Enoch is the main source of the Leviathan being a female for me. TBH, I didn't know that there were so many texts that say otherwise. At least not from all the books that I read before.

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

So I noticed a little something while watching the opening and end credits again on YouTube. I dunno if it can be considered an Easter egg or not because I'm not even sure it was intentional. But anyway, despite only four of them physically appearing in the film itself, both the opening and ending credits allude to or reference most of the new Titans in various different ways.

Methuselah and (who I'm assuming is) Sekhmet appear in the opening sequence as carvings (next to the company logos), during the end credits Scylla and Behemoth are featured in news reports on how the Titans are helping the planet, very old illustrations of Leviathan, Kraken, Yamata no Orochi, and Typhon are shown very briefly, there's some stock footage of the MUTOs, as well as an ancient Babylonian carving of Tiamat.

So that leaves Baphomet, Quetzalcoatl, Margygr, Mokele-Mbembe, Abaddon, Sargon, and Bunyip as the only new Titans that were never actually alluded to or referenced in the credits, but it is possible that I simply missed them.

Could be a coincidence, but the fact that most of the new Titans were technically in the film makes it interesting either way.

Added in 20 minutes 37 seconds:
This is completely random, but how the heck do you pronounce Margygr? I've been searching for the past thirty minutes but I've found nothing. I did find out that Margygr is probably derived from the word Hafgygr, which yields more results on Google, but still no word on how you're supposed to pronounce it.

I've been pronouncing Margygr "Mar-Geiger," but I have a feeling that's not the right way to say it.
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pons
Ronin

Post by Pons »

KaijuShill17 wrote:So I noticed a little something while watching the opening and end credits again on YouTube. I dunno if it can be considered an Easter egg or not because I'm not even sure it was intentional. But anyway, despite only four of them physically appearing in the film itself, both the opening and ending credits allude to or reference most of the new Titans in various different ways.

Methuselah and (who I'm assuming is) Sekhmet appear in the opening sequence as carvings (next to the company logos), during the end credits Scylla and Behemoth are featured in news reports on how the Titans are helping the planet, very old illustrations of Leviathan, Kraken, Yamata no Orochi, and Typhon are shown very briefly, there's some stock footage of the MUTOs, as well as an ancient Babylonian carving of Tiamat.

So that leaves Baphomet, Quetzalcoatl, Margygr, Mokele-Mbembe, Abaddon, Sargon, and Bunyip as the only new Titans that were never actually alluded to or referenced in the credits, but it is possible that I simply missed them.

Could be a coincidence, but the fact that most of the new Titans were technically in the film makes it interesting either way.

Added in 20 minutes 37 seconds:
This is completely random, but how the heck do you pronounce Margygr? I've been searching for the past thirty minutes but I've found nothing. I did find out that Margygr is probably derived from the word Hafgygr, which yields more results on Google, but still no word on how you're supposed to pronounce it.

I've been pronouncing Margygr "Mar-Geiger," but I have a feeling that's not the right way to say it.
Does Methuselah in the opening credits look like Sayaka's drawing, or is he slightly different? Could you describe him?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

KaijuShill17 wrote:
Methuselah and (who I'm assuming is) Sekhmet appear in the opening sequence as carvings (next to the company logos)
Methuselah wasn't in the opening sequence. Behemoth, the winged lion, Rodan, and Ghidorah are.