Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:With the way KOTM has been performing is there much chance that this continues past the next film?

I'd like to see Godzilla against Gamera but honestly Gamera is such a weird Japanese thing that I'd rather see a Japanese production than an American one that has to explain or neuter every facet of what makes Gamera interesting.
I think KOTM was a misstep rather than a total collapse tbh.

Legendary is still finding their footing, so far they found a solid in-between with Kong:SI. Now they're just trying to figure out how best to approach Godzilla, since G14 was too "less" and G19 was too "much" (completely disagree with this though). It's similar to the start of the MCU, not because of the amount of films but rather the quality and tone within each release.

Cap America was originally a meh film, Ironman was a breakout hit (still only made $500m+ I believe), Thor was a disaster, then The Avengers came out and blew everyones socks off, resulting in an epic new beginning for the franchise. I feel like Gamera could easily slip into the Monsterverse, we already have the underwater civilizations established (not only visually with Godzilla, but in the beginning of the film during one of the webpage read ups MBB is reading, as well as during the end credits). The whole incident in Antarctica is reason enough to awaken Gamera, or they could do the classic, nuclear testing in Antarctica causing him to wake up grumpy. The only issue, which could be easily explained away or just dismissed is the flying.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

But the problem is if GvK doesn't perform up to expectations then there's nowhere to go. Bringing in Gamera isn't going to sell more tickets. If U.S. audiences didn't turn out for Godzilla's three biggest rivals then they're not going to turn out for a much more obscure character that's maybe even more Japanese than Mothra.

I'm obviously not a studio executive but I can't imagine why Legendary would try to take a chance on a total unknown when the addition of three supposed "known" properties resulted in a movie that's going to gross significantly less than their first Godzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:But the problem is if GvK doesn't perform up to expectations then there's nowhere to go. Bringing in Gamera isn't going to sell more tickets. If U.S. audiences didn't turn out for Godzilla's three biggest rivals then they're not going to turn out for a much more obscure character that's maybe even more Japanese than Mothra.

I'm obviously not a studio executive but I can't imagine why Legendary would try to take a chance on a total unknown when the addition of three supposed "known" properties resulted in a movie that's going to gross significantly less than their first Godzilla.
Speaking of expectations, which I'm sure were probably more than what KOTM is going to end up finishing with. Have we heard what Legendary expected to make back yet, knowing competition and everything else going on during time of release?

I think expectation-wise and for them to really think about sequels, GvK would have to make around $630m to $720m. Which I think is pretty plausible since Kong is an American icon (which bodes better than 3 Kaiju rivals of Godzilla) and Godzilla is a Japanese icon, people have wanted to see a new fight between them for decades.

KOTM has gotten plenty of good WOM from fans and audiences, but it has been scorched by critics. So it's an interesting divide and an even more interesting situation for the studio. Obviously the fans want more, but the big question is, are they willing to support it?

I wonder if Kadokawa is willing to fund the whole, or most of the project, would Legendary be willing to hook up the license???
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Gamera's literally in the art book, guys.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Gamera's literally in the art book, guys.
In the Official art book at that lol. So I'm thinking something big will be announced soon.

That along with the tweet by the head of Kadokawa.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
In the Official art book at that lol. So I'm thinking something big will be announced soon.

honestly, the art book was probably just a place holder for another monster.... but that tweet has me thinking. still, we can't get our hopes up to high if what he's saying is what we think he's saying. No guaruntee's it's gonna work out as planned. even if it does, we don't know how the film itself would do.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
In the Official art book at that lol. So maybe something big will be announced soon.

honestly, the art book was probably just a place holder for another monster.... but that tweet has me thinking. still, we can't get our hopes up to high if what he's saying is what we think he's saying. No guaruntee's it's gonna work out as planned. even if it does, we don't know how the film itself would do.
Meh, Gamera fans kinda have to latch on to any kind of news and are (as of recent) normally used to disappointment.

So it's likely either something exciting or just more disappointment (it can't get any worse :lol: ). However, I think Kadokawa would end up like Toho and lend Legendary the money for a film, if it fails it fails, if it strives it strives.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Means nothing. So was Gigan. And anguirus. And Kumonga. And Kamacuras.

All of which they don’t have the rights to.
Key frame artist probably saw “group of monsters surround Godzilla” and googled giant monsters to use as placeholders before the new designs were finalized. Very common in concept art.
GO GO GOJI KUN

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think the tweet is a bit more substantial than the concept book.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Chances are low, but we do know there are Gamera fans working at Legendary since a few have said they'd like to see him in.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

He shows up in Godzilla vs Kong and gets the three of them to fight together. Calling it now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I like this fan design of him by Larry Quach, where his shell looks like it's made of magatamas (the bead things from the Heisei films), the ones on the front even looking like Ying-Yang symbols.

https://www.deviantart.com/nobackstreet ... -792134874

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:I like this fan design of him by Larry Quach, where his shell looks like it's made of magatamas (the bead things from the Heisei films), the ones on the front even looking like Ying-Yang symbols.

https://www.deviantart.com/nobackstreet ... -792134874

The idea of his scutes looking like magatamas is really cool. For me though, since the Monsterverse has most Titans looking like natural predators. I'd be ecstatic to see something like this,

And since the idea of extraterrestrials has been introduced already in a vicious sorta Lovecraftian way (best kind), I'd love to see a random flock of Gyaos coming down like a meteor shower looking like this

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm I dunno not a fan of the snapping turtle look on Gamera. Then again maybe in motion and character it'd win me over. I think I like the Quarch design more at a glance. I'm a weirdo that likes the Gamera 2 design best while everyone else is madly in love with Gamera 3's design. My favorite Showa design is easily Gamera vs. Barugon.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Hm I dunno not a fan of the snapping turtle look on Gamera. Then again maybe in motion and character it'd win me over. I think I like the Quarch design more at a glance. I'm a weirdo that likes the Gamera 2 design best while everyone else is madly in love with Gamera 3's design. My favorite Showa design is easily Gamera vs. Barugon.
Yeah I think it's because I'm a big fan of the G3 appearance, the sharper edges and meaner look. Plus I have a pet Snapping Turtle of my own lol, he's the meanest. I can just hear the remixed deep bellowing roar now.

Added in 4 minutes 35 seconds:
This is the original tweet by the Head of Kadokawa I posted last page, the rough translation says "Will Not", if there's any Japanese speakers, could it possibly say "will"?

I know it says some stuff hinting towards some big things goin on definitely. To sum up what the rest said for newcomers,
He also thinks Gamera is an important IP, and he "wants to get excited", but "cannot say concrete things here". Then finishes by saying "I want you to improve your moods", basically saying chin up, there's something I can't say here and now, but soon.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

imagine if Gamera appears in GvK... I would love my mind!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Sonic wrote:imagine if Gamera appears in GvK... I would love my mind!
It'd be pretty sick. Even if just a cameo to show he's in the universe, would be enough to blow my mind.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Sonic wrote:imagine if Gamera appears in GvK... I would love my mind!
It'd be pretty sick. Even if just a cameo to show he's in the universe, would be enough to blow my mind.
yeah like 30 seconds or something, the same amount behemoth was in gvk.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I like this fan design of him by Larry Quach, where his shell looks like it's made of magatamas (the bead things from the Heisei films), the ones on the front even looking like Ying-Yang symbols.

The idea of his scutes looking like magatamas is really cool. For me though, since the Monsterverse has most Titans looking like natural predators. I'd be ecstatic to see something like this,

And since the idea of extraterrestrials has been introduced already in a vicious sorta Lovecraftian way (best kind), I'd love to see a random flock of Gyaos coming down like a meteor shower looking like this
That's assuming they will give Gamera a natural origin. Heck with Monarch trying to clone or genetically engineer their own Titans, Gamera and Gyaos could end up being lab experiments from Monarch.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'd rather Gamera keep his Heisei origin. That's what makes him set apart from Godzilla, Kong and Ultraman in terms of different origins although the Showa series does say he his species came from the Atlantic continent or something around those lines.