Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ivo-goji »

Pfft.

If Godzilla's walk through the Red Bamboo's bomb manufacturing facility counts as 'a kaiju destroying a city' then G14 and KotM passed that criteria with the Janjira Plant and Arctic base destruction sequences respectively, nevermind San Francisco and Boston.

For that matter, let's talk about that thirty seconds of city damage Mechagodzilla did in his first appearance, or Megalon wandering through the countryside with some stock footage of King Ghidorah's gravity beams playing over his otherwise harmless hopping.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:I guess Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's Revenge aren't Japanese Godzilla movies.

They must have been secretly created by Americans all along!
Bad choice of example with Sea Monster as there actually is a miniature destruction sequence in the film. Revenge also has a half second shot of Godzilla destroying a city from DAM.

Correct on Son of Godzilla, though! ;)
Godzilla partially damage the research tower in Son of Godzilla.

Added in 2 minutes 7 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:For some reason these movies keep shying away from showing the monsters destroying cities on screen. I don't know if it's a budget thing, animating thing or some higher up thinking it's too "dark" and will dampen the fun of the movie. If the latter, someone needs to tell him/her/them that half the fun of these movies is seeing things get destroyed, not just the fights. Heck that's what appeals to a lot of non G fans about these movies, the disaster aspect cause disaster films are popular in the west.
Ya know this never crossed my mind, in most Japanese Godzilla flicks, there is a kaiju at some point destroying a city. Either by his lonesome or with a friend. We've yet to see this in the Monsterverse (actually we kinda did when they showed the monsters awakening and destroying cities in KOTM) clearly.
I mean, we got Rodan destroying a town on screen as well as fighting the Air Force and it was great, but we could have used more of that. Washington D.C. being flooded was cool but it would have been nice to see it as it happen instead of the aftermath.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

That's why the Rodan emergence sequence was easily favorite sequence in the film. Reminds me of the scene in Gamera 3 where his fireballs are blasting people and debris every which way. Sadly its the only really good scene like that in the whole MonsterVerse.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

To that caliber yeah Rodan's the only one to really capture the balls to the wall solo wild destruction the old films had.

However the MUTO's had some pretty emotional destructive scenes that were really well shot.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I thought there was plenty of destruction. I mean Boston gets totalled by all the monsters fighting, Ghidorah picking up and dropping Godzilla and the thermal pulses. I mean Ghidorah rampaging against Fenway park and then chasing Emma was enough action for his lightning bolts I thought. I love that hsot of Godzilla tackling Ghidorah through the building he's webbed up to.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

daveblackeye15 wrote:I thought there was plenty of destruction. I mean Boston gets totalled by all the monsters fighting, Ghidorah picking up and dropping Godzilla and the thermal pulses. I mean Ghidorah rampaging against Fenway park and then chasing Emma was enough action for his lightning bolts I thought. I love that hsot of Godzilla tackling Ghidorah through the building he's webbed up to.
Nah I think they mean specifically solo destruction. Less so Monster fighting.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Last edited by Dracosaurian on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I was a little let down we don't see King Ghidorah use the tornadoes to fight Godzilla. We did see the lightning from his storm zap some humans getting out of the Osprey, so it seems like King Ghidorah actually does control his storms on some level and not just make them and let them randomly devastate things.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:That's why the Rodan emergence sequence was easily favorite sequence in the film. Reminds me of the scene in Gamera 3 where his fireballs are blasting people and debris every which way. Sadly its the only really good scene like that in the whole MonsterVerse.
Speaking of Gamera 3, while I did enjoy Rodan's fight with Mothra, it was pretty basic, wanted more tricks like what we see in Gamera and Iris' air fight, espiecally aftr seeing the stunts Rodan pulled fighting the Air Force.
_JNavs_ wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote:I thought there was plenty of destruction. I mean Boston gets totalled by all the monsters fighting, Ghidorah picking up and dropping Godzilla and the thermal pulses. I mean Ghidorah rampaging against Fenway park and then chasing Emma was enough action for his lightning bolts I thought. I love that hsot of Godzilla tackling Ghidorah through the building he's webbed up to.
Nah I think they mean specifically solo destruction. Less so Monster fighting.
And on screen. Rodan's scene was great, needed one for King Ghidorah showing a montage of him just wigging out blasting cities as he flies by.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Dracosaurian wrote:Godzilla's diet.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/stat ... 6388414464
This is roughly close to what I had been thinking, pretty neat
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

But theres like only 17 titans sooooo.......

Will he ration them?
Last edited by goji89 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

goji89 wrote:But theres like only 17 titans sooooo.......

Will he ration them?
Maybe he eats the ones that fall out of line? I mean, for all we know he could have eaten the MUTOs after the events of G14. We know Monarch has the female's head in Castle Bravo, but he could have eaten the rest of their bodies, eventually.
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Will he ration them?
"And counting"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KaijuShill17 wrote:

Will he ration them?
Maybe he eats the ones that fall out of line? I mean, for all we know he could have eaten the MUTOs after the events of G14. We know Monarch has the female's head in Castle Bravo, but he could have eaten the rest of their bodies, eventually.
If they run like a pack (which would be sick to see and hell on Earth for any titan who's not with the group) they'd kill and eat as a unit. But I doubt that.

I think they just stay on their own turf and understand that if they step out of the Kings direct orders, he will come back, maul them to death, and eat their rotting corpses. Which he'll likely do anyway since, while we anthropomorphize Godzilla, he's still an animal and animals gotta eat. So I wouldn't put him past betrayals and such if he's hungry enough.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Will he ration them?
17 (excluding Godzilla) discovered so far. There could be 30 more that Monarch hasn't seen yet.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Living Corpse wrote:I was a little let down we don't see King Ghidorah use the tornadoes to fight Godzilla. We did see the lightning from his storm zap some humans getting out of the Osprey, so it seems like King Ghidorah actually does control his storms on some level and not just make them and let them randomly devastate things.
With his powerful storms and all, I expected some level of building damage and even damage to the other flying monsters (Mothra). His storms could likely produce wind speeds of 250 mph and far faster. We didn't really see any effects from the hurricane and its multiple tornadoes beyond flooding, basic winds, rain, and lighting.
Living Corpse wrote: And on screen. Rodan's scene was great, needed one for King Ghidorah showing a montage of him just wigging out blasting cities as he flies by.
Pretty much every King Ghidorah appearance has had a scene like that. This sort of thing could be done amazingly with modern special effects, and with Ghidorah’s storm. It's a shame that such a classic example of King Ghidorah's power is neglected, especially in a film that's trying so hard to appeal to fans and relies on callbacks.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I was a little let down we don't see King Ghidorah use the tornadoes to fight Godzilla. We did see the lightning from his storm zap some humans getting out of the Osprey, so it seems like King Ghidorah actually does control his storms on some level and not just make them and let them randomly devastate things.
With his powerful storms and all, I expected some level of building damage and even damage to the other flying monsters (Mothra). His storms could likely produce wind speeds of 250 mph and far faster. We didn't really see any effects from the hurricane and its multiple tornadoes beyond flooding, basic winds, rain, and lighting.
Living Corpse wrote: And on screen. Rodan's scene was great, needed one for King Ghidorah showing a montage of him just wigging out blasting cities as he flies by.
Pretty much every King Ghidorah appearance has had a scene like that. This sort of thing could be done amazingly with modern special effects, and with Ghidorah’s storm. It's a shame that such a classic example of King Ghidorah's power is neglected, especially in a film that's trying so hard to appeal to fans and relies on callbacks.
Imagine a scene where King Ghidorah is just standing there, not using his gravity beams and as Godzilla runs towards him several golden bolts rain down from the sky zapping him, then the rain moves sideways towards him, slowing him down till a funnel cloud comes down, becoming a tornado, lifting and pushing Godzilla away as King Ghidorah laughs.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

It'd be cool if the storm lifted Godzilla and dropped him instead of the dragon itself...

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I wonder how Godzilla keeps the others in line, actually? Does he have a similar ability as Ghidorah where he can vocalize and send different warning calls across the globe? And then, if a certain Titan doesn’t listen, Godzilla will personally make a trip to kick its ass.

Speaking of vocalizations, Ghidorah’s three step howl atop Rodan’s volcano was one of the most badass moments in King Ghidorah’s existence.

#BotM

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I was hoping we'd see his hatred for Man by him just obliterating innocents running and cowering in his presence, buildings getting destroyed, and maybe one long side running shot of a street with people just running in fear and terror looking back as each group gets vaporized.

Similar to a modern version of the GTTHM scene
Like a crowd of people running mid-evacuation only for King Ghidorah to land right in front of them, and grin down at them with sick glee (Except Kevin who would be distracted by the empty evacuation vehicles behind him). Then after a tense moment, the people start running in the other way, Ghidorah just watches for a while, grinning even wider at their false hope (with Kevin would finally noticing all the tasty people to cook) before crushing it and vaporizing them all with gravity beams. But he leaves a parent or two parents with their child or children still alive, with them trying to protect their child or children, but the middle head just gets all the way close, makes a classic bidibidibidi, and just snaps them up in his jaws in an instant. Then when he starts laying waste to the rest of the place, cut to anothe scene.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah, no.

That would have been an incrediblely out of left field tonal shift for the film that would have upset a lot of people, and rightfully so.
Yeah looking back, that's a bit too on the nose cheesy evil even for King Ghirodah. :mrgreen:

Best to just have him torch all the people with no survivors, cackle at his handiwork and continue the rampage.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Edit: Wrong fucking thread.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"