The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Gothicserpent »

Its not a flop, but it didn't do great either.

Its just ok at the moment.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Hokmuto »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:That isn't very believable. 140 max.
Why not? Please explain your reasoning.

If it was only going to run 8 weeks, which is honestly all I expected from China, I could see your point. But I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't crawl up to at least $145M after 20 weeks.
I’ve seen from several that track the Chinese market that in that time frame it would get around 3-5 million only.
Long Live The King

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Went for a fourth and final time. This time there were more people in the theater. 22 not including me. Three only stayed for the post-credits.

You know the drill. Do your analysis guys.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Went for a fourth and final time. This time there were more people in the theater. 22 not including me. Three only stayed for the post-credits.

What do you want people to do? Calculate the final gross by number of people in the theater x 1,000,000 then divide that by 3 for number of people who stayed for post-credits, then multiply by 3 again?

And since you mentioned a specific number of people, I'm curious: did you actually count the amount of people who were in the theater and then make a mental note of it?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Went for a fourth and final time. This time there were more people in the theater. 22 not including me. Three only stayed for the post-credits.

What do you want people to do? Calculate the final gross by number of people in the theater x 1,000,000 then divide that by 3 for number of people who stayed for post-credits, then multiply by 3 again?

And since you mentioned a specific number of people, I'm curious: did you actually count the amount of people who were in the theater and then make a mental note of it?
If it's a theater where you can pick your seats then you can just count the amount of seats purchased.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote: If it's a theater where you can pick your seats then you can just count the amount of seats purchased.
But that doesn't count walk-ins, right?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

My theater is first come first served....

Sit anywhere you damn please. I alway get in the back somewhere in the middle. I hate people being behind me.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Smuggers wrote:I'm curious: did you actually count the amount of people who were in the theater and then make a mental note of it?
Aye, I did as I was walking up the stairs to take my seat.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Not to bring up any dark humor, but I'd be sketched out if someone other than the movie theater staff started physically checking and counting how many seats were filled before sitting.

That's why I kinda just say stick to what the sites say and be pleasantly surprised when the week numbers come in.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Smuggers wrote:

You forgot to multiply by pi and then find the square root. Rookie mistake!
Long Live The King

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Hrrm. That's annoying, it looks like Box Office Mojo didn't update the international numbers yesterday.

As best I can figure, the worldwide total is now somewhere north of $355M considering China was at $128M as of Thursday.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Suddenly, 45 million seems a lot, especially now that it's dropping out of theaters everywhere. Not too long ago I figured 400 ww was possible. Maybe it still is, what with China but who knows at this point.
Last edited by fred25_ca on Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

fred25_ca wrote:Suddenly, 45 million seems a lot, especially now that it's dropping out of theaters everywhere. Not too long ago I figured 400 ww was possible. Maybe it still is, what with China but who knows at this point.
Well, it depends on what both China's weekend looked like (if The Numbers is correct, then by Sunday evening it was at $130.5M in China) plus Japan's week+weekend, plus the rest of the world's week+weekend. Unless we've been misled about China and the numbers are very different, I think after this past weekend the worldwide total is probably something like $360M to $365M.

(That'd be the $4.5M we've been told had been made in China by Thursday, plus a $2.5M weekend; a $2M week+weekend in Japan; and anywhere from $1M to $5M from everywhere else combined for $10M to $14M worldwide since 6/16.)

So it might actually be more like $35M to $40M, which isn't that much better but is a somewhat less steep hill to climb.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters finally passed the $100 million mark in the domestic box office.

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/2019/06 ... 4SFqiZLu6o

Anybody else remember the good ol' days when it was supposed to do this on the opening weekend?

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Yay!! Only a little over $75 million to break even...

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

$365,845,637 worldwide according to Box Office Mojo. GKOTM was top 5 for two weeks and has remained in the top ten since. It averages 3 to 4 million per weekend with dailies of $700,000 to 1 mil. Believe it or not, the movie is still climbing. It will eclipse the Forbes estimate within a day or two, and it only needs 34 million to hit the $400 mil mark. And it kept over 2000 theaters despite Dark Pheonix, MIB and Toy Story's premieres. Hell on some days GKOTM even outgrossed John Wick and climbed back up the chart.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Thunderbird wrote:$365,845,637 worldwide according to Box Office Mojo. GKOTM was top 5 for two weeks and has remained in the top ten since. It averages 3 to 4 million per weekend with dailies of $700,000 to 1 mil. Believe it or not, the movie is still climbing. It will eclipse the Forbes estimate within a day or two, and it only needs 34 million to hit the $400 mil mark. And it kept over 2000 theaters despite Dark Pheonix, MIB and Toy Story's premieres. Hell on some days GKOTM even outgrossed John Wick and climbed back up the chart.
Not too suprising, in honesty. Even with all the new releases it's still doing business at my theater, if not drawing crowds; I've torn a couple tickets for Godzilla over the past few days, the auditorium showing KoTM was fairly messy during my ushering shift, and even the latest showing last night had at least someone inside. As an aside Toy Story 4 apparently isn't doing nearly as well as anyone thought it was going to (though it's definitely still a big draw and the kids still trash the theater each time).
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

So supposedly Toy Story 4 is under performing a bit.
So right now I'm all like...
https://preview.redd.it/pqjxub8bcu111.g ... 43c1a96574

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Seems this year has been rather brutal to every movie that isn't a MCU flick lol. Truly a shame, but that's how it is. Hopefully GvK will have a slightly better chance.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Thunderbird wrote:$365,845,637 worldwide according to Box Office Mojo. GKOTM was top 5 for two weeks and has remained in the top ten since. It averages 3 to 4 million per weekend with dailies of $700,000 to 1 mil. Believe it or not, the movie is still climbing. It will eclipse the Forbes estimate within a day or two, and it only needs 34 million to hit the $400 mil mark. And it kept over 2000 theaters despite Dark Pheonix, MIB and Toy Story's premieres. Hell on some days GKOTM even outgrossed John Wick and climbed back up the chart.
Oh, yay! That's above the upper end of what I thought. :D

KOTM has now passed Dumbo and Shazam! at the worldwide box office to become the 8th highest grossing movie of the year. I expect it'll be bumped back down again by Toy Story 4 and later releases, but it's still nice to see Godzilla in the global top 10. :)