Godzilla vs Kong! Who should win at the end?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Godzilla vs Kong! Who should win at the end?

GODZILLA
68%
KING KONG
23%
I want to see a draw!
9%

Total votes: 74

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs Kong! Who should win at the end?

Post by master_of_monsters »

I vote godzilla because I'm sick of that mammal beats reptile trope
your source of self destruction

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Moogabunga wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Imagine how stunned we'd all be if Godzilla brutally decapitates Kong to finish off his fatality trilogy.

It'd homage Kong's inevitable death whenever he steps off his island and would set up Godzilla's downfall for his next trilogy as the big bad 8-)
yeah..... no. let Godzilla stay good, at least in this universe. maybe in whatever Toho has planned they could do something like that but this one's isn't it.
This
I can't see Godzilla decapitating Kong and still looking like a hero to the public eye though.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
yeah..... no. let Godzilla stay good, at least in this universe. maybe in whatever Toho has planned they could do something like that but this one's isn't it.
This
I can't see Godzilla decapitating Kong and still looking like a hero to the public eye though.
so don't have him do it. just have him knock Kong out and drag him back to Skull Island or something. worse he could do is blind Kong in an eye or slice of a couple digits on his hand but that be it. ripping of his head or even just a hand would just diminish the hero role he has.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Moogabunga wrote: This
so don't have him do it. just have him knock Kong out and drag him back to Skull Island or something. worse he could do is blind Kong in an eye or slice of a couple digits on his hand but that be it. ripping of his head or even just a hand would just diminish the hero role he has.
Oh I know, I was just referencing Mooga's original post of having Godzilla decapitating Kong yet not having Godzilla be a "bad guy".

But that'd be funny seeing Godzilla drag Kong through the ocean and onto the beachside of Skull Island
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
This
Nah, he’ll be good in my eyes. I will applaud Godzilla for decapitating Kong. Maybe have Kong’s arms and legs get torn off or something and then play around with his limbless body...like a turd...in the wind. Something family friendly like that y’know? Lmao
Long Live The King

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Hokmuto wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Moogabunga wrote: This
Nah, he’ll be good in my eyes. I will applaud Godzilla for decapitating Kong. Maybe have Kong’s arms and legs get torn off or something and then play around with his limbless body...like a turd...in the wind. Something family friendly like that y’know? Lmao
That sounds pretty unfair to Kong. We wouldn't want to see Kong break Godzilla's jaw, dorsal plates, or break Godzilla's neck, right? I'd keep severe physical damage to a minimum for the preservation of both monsters and their integrity. Both are pop culture icons, and both are important to the MonsterVerse.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

I'm ok with Godzilla losing to Kong but Kong won round 1 already.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I can't see Godzilla decapitating Kong and still looking like a hero to the public eye though.
That sounds pretty unfair to Kong. We wouldn't want to see Kong break Godzilla's jaw, dorsal plates, or break Godzilla's neck, right? I'd keep severe physical damage to a minimum for the preservation of both monsters and their integrity. Both are pop culture icons, and both are important to the MonsterVerse.
.....Mostly because it’s far less feasible, given that Godzilla is more durable and physically powerful than Kong to begin with.

The whole idea of a straight-up fight between the two is kind of comical, given how much Godzilla outclasses Kong. They had to scale him up and give him lightning powers in the original, so he could win as a bone to American audiences.

I’m not sure why the concept needs to be revisited at all, tbh, but I suppose I’ll go see it anyway.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Thunderbird wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:What did King Kong do to you guys.
Huge fan of the '33 film. Not such a huge fan of the redundant remakes, or the lack of versatility in Kong's character. He's never been a total villain and he's never lost a battle with a rival monster. Even the Monsterverse Kong befriends a fetching blonde woman before battling a prehistoric critter in a scenario just like every other Kong scenario in every other (yawn) Kong movie, which outside of '33 is boring as poop. Businesswise, it makes sense to remake Kong vs Godzilla. It's the only money angle left for a Hollywood kaiju film. But creatively speaking, it's a wasted opportunity.

I keep thinking about what could have been possible had GKOTM been a mainstream hit and its followup had not been fast-tracked. King Ghidorah's call to arms in Mexico could have also signaled an extraterrestrial response that would only be revealed in the third Godzilla film. An alien vessel (or army of alien vessels) could have introduced Legendary versions of Gigan, Megalon or some new whatzit and the creative streak ushered by GKOTM's over-the-top approach would continue.

Instead, Godzilla is now hamstrung by Kong's inflexible and predictable tropes. Either a traditional Kong loses for the first time ever, or Kong becomes a villain, or a never before seen team up with Godzilla happens. Godzilla's character is versatile enough to play villain or hero, so the movie is stuck on what Kong does, which in my opinion does a disservice to Godzilla.

I hope the movie succeeds for Legendary and Toho's sake, but those are the reasons why I'm not particularly hyped for G vs K, especially now that it will likely be retooled for maximum appeal to the American GA who are averse to anything that doesn't conform to tradition.
One can argue Kong is more aggressive to humans in the MonsterVerse than Godzilla. People die around Godzilla but that's a consequence of his size; he does not actively go after people even though they've shot him and nuked him in the face. Compare that to Kong whose beaten down an entire helicopter squadron, stepped on them, ate one, burned more with napalm and smashed Samuel L. Jackson into a pulp.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

^yeah

Godzilla is arguably more of a hero in this universe than Kong. Godzilla has saved the world several times already and is going around actively protecting cities. All while Kong sits on his island
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:What did King Kong do to you guys.
Huge fan of the '33 film. Not such a huge fan of the redundant remakes, or the lack of versatility in Kong's character. He's never been a total villain and he's never lost a battle with a rival monster. Even the Monsterverse Kong befriends a fetching blonde woman before battling a prehistoric critter in a scenario just like every other Kong scenario in every other (yawn) Kong movie, which outside of '33 is boring as poop. Businesswise, it makes sense to remake Kong vs Godzilla. It's the only money angle left for a Hollywood kaiju film. But creatively speaking, it's a wasted opportunity.

I keep thinking about what could have been possible had GKOTM been a mainstream hit and its followup had not been fast-tracked. King Ghidorah's call to arms in Mexico could have also signaled an extraterrestrial response that would only be revealed in the third Godzilla film. An alien vessel (or army of alien vessels) could have introduced Legendary versions of Gigan, Megalon or some new whatzit and the creative streak ushered by GKOTM's over-the-top approach would continue.

Instead, Godzilla is now hamstrung by Kong's inflexible and predictable tropes. Either a traditional Kong loses for the first time ever, or Kong becomes a villain, or a never before seen team up with Godzilla happens. Godzilla's character is versatile enough to play villain or hero, so the movie is stuck on what Kong does, which in my opinion does a disservice to Godzilla.

I hope the movie succeeds for Legendary and Toho's sake, but those are the reasons why I'm not particularly hyped for G vs K, especially now that it will likely be retooled for maximum appeal to the American GA who are averse to anything that doesn't conform to tradition.
One can argue Kong is more aggressive to humans in the MonsterVerse than Godzilla. People die around Godzilla but that's a consequence of his size; he does not actively go after people even though they've shot him and nuked him in the face. Compare that to Kong whose beaten down an entire helicopter squadron, stepped on them, ate one, burned more with napalm and smashed Samuel L. Jackson into a pulp.
It's not even arguable, it is a fact. Kong has actively gone out of his way to kill humans, Godzilla has not.

Added in 3 minutes 43 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
This
Sure you can. Godzilla decapitated the female Muto and is seen as a hero. I honestly don't think the human population at large would think much more favorably of Kong than the female Muto, especially in a fight against Godzilla. People at large barely know anything about him. They know of his existence but they don't KNOW him like they know Godzilla. And Godzilla has supposedly been saving cities from other Titans. I have no doubt that as their characters (Godzilla & Kong) stand now, the people in the world of this film would root for Godzilla over Kong. It makes far more sense
Last edited by Moogabunga on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Honestly, some of the info we have so far makes me think Kong won't be portrayed in a light as positive as we think in this movie. He's pretty much an explicit isolationist at this point, only caring about keeping balance on SI and viciously attacking anyone who he views as a violent intruder. First it was Packard's squadron, and now it'll be the rest of the Titans invading SI. I can imagine Godzilla having trouble with the latter fact in particular, which might be the cause of him fighting Kong in the first place.

But on the other hand, Dougherty did state that Kong's sympathetic and close to humans traits will be kept for this movie, so I could totally see this being played out as a tragic situation in the most classic Kong way possible- where the circumstances affect his home, and he gets drawn into a bigger conflict against his own will. I could definitely see a ending where Godzilla wins, but chooses to spare Kong because of his role in keeping SI in check.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Dv-218 wrote:Honestly, some of the info we have so far makes me thing Kong won't be portrayed in a light as positive as we think in this movie. He's pretty much an explicit isolationist at this point, only caring about keeping balance on SI and viciously attacking anyone who he views as a violent intruder. First it was Packard's squadron, and now it'll be the rest of the Titans invading SI. I can imagine Godzilla having trouble with the latter fact in particular, which might be the cause of him fighting Kong in the first place.

But on the other hand, Dougherty did state that Kong's sympathetic and close to humans traits will be kept for this movie, so I could totally see this beinf played out as a tragic situation in the most classic Kong way possible- where the circumstances affect his home, and he gets drawn into a bigger conflict against his own will. I could definitely see a ending where Godzilla wins, but chooses to spare Kong because of his role in keeping SI in check.
Agree with all of this. Kong will be the King of Skull Island, Godzilla will rule the rest of the world. Godzilla would be fine with this as Kong basically does what he does by maintaining the balance of the natural order but only for Skull Island. That's one less place for Godzilla (and likely Mothra when she wakes) to have to take care of.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:Honestly, some of the info we have so far makes me thing Kong won't be portrayed in a light as positive as we think in this movie. He's pretty much an explicit isolationist at this point, only caring about keeping balance on SI and viciously attacking anyone who he views as a violent intruder. First it was Packard's squadron, and now it'll be the rest of the Titans invading SI. I can imagine Godzilla having trouble with the latter fact in particular, which might be the cause of him fighting Kong in the first place.

But on the other hand, Dougherty did state that Kong's sympathetic and close to humans traits will be kept for this movie, so I could totally see this beinf played out as a tragic situation in the most classic Kong way possible- where the circumstances affect his home, and he gets drawn into a bigger conflict against his own will. I could definitely see a ending where Godzilla wins, but chooses to spare Kong because of his role in keeping SI in check.
Agree with all of this. Kong will be the King of Skull Island, Godzilla will rule the rest of the world. Godzilla would be fine with this as Kong basically does what he does by maintaining the balance of the natural order but only for Skull Island. That's one less place for Godzilla (and likely Mothra when she wakes) to have to take care of.
Percisely. Imo it'll be a perfect way to start and conclude the confrontation without having to radically change the characters and demonize/villain-fy either monster.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Moogabunga wrote:Sure you can. Godzilla decapitated the female Muto and is seen as a hero. I honestly don't think the human population at large would think much more favorably of Kong than the female Muto, especially in a fight against Godzilla. People at large barely know anything about him. They know of his existence but they don't KNOW him like they know Godzilla. And Godzilla has supposedly been saving cities from other Titans. I have no doubt that as their characters (Godzilla & Kong) stand now, the people in the world of this film would root for Godzilla over Kong. It makes far more sense
I think the issue isn't an in universe explanation. Rather, it is for American audiences. The Muto's are the villains of 2014, while Kong is the hero of KSI. It would be like if Iron Man killed Thor when they first meet in Avengers. In Universe, it would be fine. Shield knows Tony is good, while Thor is unknown. But to us, we know that Thor is a hero. So that would have been a bad thing.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

You can have a monster lose without dying. Heck it happened to both of them already.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Godzilla, because fuck Kong.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Honestly in the minority when I say that I feel Kong should win, partly out of bias and partly because he's most likely the underdog here.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

i still haven't chosen. not voting draw cause i'm pretty sure a draw isn't a definitive winner. that said, neither are gonna die. if the Monsterverse continues, then maybe, but now? can't see it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Godzilla. Why? Because King Kong vs Godzilla was Rocky. The reigning heavyweight monster champion of the world gave a far less popular opponent a big fight with lots of publicity, the up and coming star went the distance but ended up losing in the decision. Godzilla vs Kong is Rocky 2, they go at it again to settle it once and for all but this time a new champ reigns supreme!

Seriously though Godzilla deserves to win for a number of reasons. It's beyond predictable for the scrappy underdog to beat the more powerful opponent. Godzilla has Kong beat in everything but speed, agility, and the ability to use his surroundings to make tools for fighting. It's also common for the mammal to beat the reptile in most any story because apparently warmblooded = good and coldblooded = bad. Kong won back in the day for those reasons as well as the fact that he was the most famous giant monster by far. Godzilla has since taken that title, plus if Godzilla wins this time around they each have one win under their belt.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609