Godzilla vs Kong! Who should win at the end?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Godzilla vs Kong! Who should win at the end?

GODZILLA
68%
KING KONG
23%
I want to see a draw!
9%

Total votes: 74

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs Kong! Who should win at the end?

Post by Ivo-goji »

To me it makes more sense if Godzilla loses. Godzilla is the one maintaining the status quo; if he wins, it's as if nothing happened. If Kong dethrones him and it breaks the balance established in KotM, then the stakes are raised.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I honestly don't have a preference, when all is said and done. One of the aspects of this conflict that I am actually looking forward to is that there isn't a truly "definitive" choice; I can see it going either way. With that said, I sincerely hope that neither monster is the antagonist this time; it should simply be a battle to see who the true monster king is.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:What did King Kong do to you guys.
Huge fan of the '33 film. Not such a huge fan of the redundant remakes, or the lack of versatility in Kong's character. He's never been a total villain and he's never lost a battle with a rival monster. Even the Monsterverse Kong befriends a fetching blonde woman before battling a prehistoric critter in a scenario just like every other Kong scenario in every other (yawn) Kong movie, which outside of '33 is boring as shit. Businesswise, it makes sense to remake Kong vs Godzilla. It's the only money angle left for a Hollywood kaiju film. But creatively speaking, it's a wasted opportunity.

I keep thinking about what could have been possible had GKOTM been a mainstream hit and its followup had not been fast-tracked. King Ghidorah's call to arms in Mexico could have also signaled an extraterrestrial response that would only be revealed in the third Godzilla film. An alien vessel (or army of alien vessels) could have introduced Legendary versions of Gigan, Megalon or some new whatzit and the creative streak ushered by GKOTM's over-the-top approach would continue.

Instead, Godzilla is now hamstrung by Kong's inflexible and predictable tropes. Either a traditional Kong loses for the first time ever, or Kong becomes a villain, or a never before seen team up with Godzilla happens. Godzilla's character is versatile enough to play villain or hero, so the movie is stuck on what Kong does, which in my opinion does a disservice to Godzilla.

I hope the movie succeeds for Legendary and Toho's sake, but those are the reasons why I'm not particularly hyped for G vs K, especially now that it will likely be retooled for maximum appeal to the American GA who are averse to anything that doesn't conform to tradition.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Thunderbird wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:What did King Kong do to you guys.
Huge fan of the '33 film. Not such a huge fan of the redundant remakes, or the lack of versatility in Kong's character. He's never been a total villain and he's never lost a battle with a rival monster. Even the Monsterverse Kong befriends a fetching blonde woman before battling a prehistoric critter in a scenario just like every other Kong scenario in every other (yawn) Kong movie, which outside of '33 is boring as poop. Businesswise, it makes sense to remake Kong vs Godzilla. It's the only money angle left for a Hollywood kaiju film. But creatively speaking, it's a wasted opportunity.

I keep thinking about what could have been possible had GKOTM been a mainstream hit and its followup had not been fast-tracked. King Ghidorah's call to arms in Mexico could have also signaled an extraterrestrial response that would only be revealed in the third Godzilla film. An alien vessel (or army of alien vessels) could have introduced Legendary versions of Gigan, Megalon or some new whatzit and the creative streak ushered by GKOTM's over-the-top approach would continue.

Instead, Godzilla is now hamstrung by Kong's inflexible and predictable tropes. Either a traditional Kong loses for the first time ever, or Kong becomes a villain, or a never before seen team up with Godzilla happens. Godzilla's character is versatile enough to play villain or hero, so the movie is stuck on what Kong does, which in my opinion does a disservice to Godzilla.

I hope the movie succeeds for Legendary and Toho's sake, but those are the reasons why I'm not particularly hyped for G vs K, especially now that it will likely be retooled for maximum appeal to the American GA who are averse to anything that doesn't conform to tradition.
Kong lost already to some ariplanes and helicopters... oh wait. It wasn`t the planes, he loved the girl too much.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I've voting Kong as he simply makes the most sense narratively and I'm not even that big of a Kong fan. Godzilla beating Kong does nothing and it's how the general audience and casual fans would expect things to go. When it comes down to audience sympathies an ape will always best a reptile.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I said this before and I'll say it again.

2 endings.

Kong wins one and Godzilla wins the other. Then both monsters win. A two ending movie would be historic in Hollywood since its never been done before. It will increase the B.O and pay homage to the original film which had a myth that persisted for decades (in the West) that it had 2 endings.
If the film plays on 4,200 screens then 2,100 prints have the "Kong wins" ending, while the other 2,100 screens has the "Godzilla wins" ending.

When I brought this up before I was shouted down by people telling me how it would ruin the future of the monsterverse. Lets face it. There is no future. Godzilla KOTM was a huge flop. This is a film that will barely crack $100 M domestic and barely crack $400 M Global. This film failed and failed hard. Even the most pessimistic people wasn't expecting it to do this badly. I can't imagine WB/LP investing in future Kaiju films after the box office dud of Godzilla KOTM.

So if you're going to go out, go out with something unique like a duel ending.
Last edited by The Octopus on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Neither, because remember making either one the villain is totally disrespectful, and thus the only way a movie titled "Godzilla VS Kong" will work is if they teamup against another cliche antagonist.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ryguy wrote:Neither, because remember making either one the villain is totally disrespectful, and thus the only way a movie titled "Godzilla VS Kong" will work is if they teamup against another cliche antagonist.
How is it disrespectful? I also can't think of any other team ups in a "versus" film besides BvS.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:I said this before and I'll say it again.

2 endings.

Kong wins one and Godzilla wins the other. Then both monsters win. A two ending movie would be historic in Hollywood since its never been done before. It will increase the B.O and pay homage to the original film which had a myth that persisted for decades (in the West) that it had 2 endings.
If the film plays on 4,200 screens then 2,100 prints have the "Kong wins" ending, while the other 2,100 screens has the "Godzilla wins" ending.

When I brought this up before I was shouted down by people telling me how it would ruin the future of the monsterverse. Lets face it. There is no future. Godzilla KOTM was a huge flop. This is a film that will barely crack $100 M domestic and barely crack $400 M Global. This film failed and failed hard. Even the most pessimistic people wasn't expecting it to do this badly. I can't imagine WB/LP investing in future Kaiju films after the box office dud of Godzilla KOTM.

So if you're going to go out, go out with something unique like a duel ending.
someone on youtube had a similar idea. On the DVD there would be two endings, one where Kong wins and one where Godzilla wins, but the true winner would be who won win it was at theatre's. So say Kong one the theatre version, he would be the true winner but there could still be an ending where Godzilla wins.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I've voting Kong as he simply makes the most sense narratively and I'm not even that big of a Kong fan. Godzilla beating Kong does nothing and it's how the general audience and casual fans would expect things to go. When it comes down to audience sympathies an ape will always best a reptile.
Kong winning would be extremely predictable for the exact reasons you mentioned. Why wouldn’t Godzilla winning make sense narratively? We don’t even know the narrative they are going for yet. It’s as simple as creating the narrative with Godzilla winning in mind if they want him to win. It’s been done before in Rocky movies; the champion defending his title from a new challenger and succeeding just barely or in a comeback after losing round 1. I don’t understand what you mean when you say Godzilla winning “does nothing.” What does Kong winning do other than fulfill the mammal always beats the reptile cliche?
Last edited by JesstrK on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

They'll probably have Kong get roasted and cooked briefly, as his face shows utter pain, submission and basically the closest a giant Gorilla could get to "crying" out in pain. So that the audience all collectively goes "AwwwWWWWWwwwWWWee", before some random occurrence happens where Godzilla has to stop, giving Kong the opening to go all Underdog stomp on Godzilla with some slow-mo, heroic music.

Now imagine it just stops.

Godzilla's theme from KOTM kicks in during Kong's mid-heroic upbeat theme, Godzilla turns around and just unleashes his King's Wrath on Kong's sorry ass, like an older brother finally saying to the little brother that he played too much and now he's gonna get what's coming to him.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

_JNavs_ wrote:They'll probably have Kong get roasted and cooked briefly, as his face shows utter pain, submission and basically the closest a giant Gorilla could get to "crying" out in pain. So that the audience all collectively goes "AwwwWWWWWwwwWWWee", before some random occurrence happens where Godzilla has to stop, giving Kong the opening to go all Underdog stomp on Godzilla with some slow-mo, heroic music.

Now imagine it just stops.

Godzilla's theme from KOTM kicks in during Kong's mid-heroic upbeat theme, Godzilla turns around and just unleashes his King's Wrath on Kong's sorry ass, like an older brother finally saying to the little brother that he played too much and now he's gonna get what's coming to him.
Is it bad that it would be the most hype scene for me?

After all the beat down Kong has dished out, it feels that the narrative is pointing to Kong winning... then the KOTM theme starts... Godzilla stands, back spines glowing... and just dishes out his full power. Kong wouldn’t go down without a fight, of course. But at the end of the day, the balance must be upheld... and there is only one king that can maintain it.

That would be hype though admittedly prolly ain’t gonna happen
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

I think Godzilla will be winning at the end and about to do the final killing blow, alluding to the fact Godzilla is the winner and then a villain pops up.
Long Live The King

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Is it bad that it would be the most hype scene for me?

After all the beat down Kong has dished out, it feels that the narrative is pointing to Kong winning... then the KOTM theme starts... Godzilla stands, back spines glowing... and just dishes out his full power. Kong wouldn’t go down without a fight, of course. But at the end of the day, the balance must be upheld... and there is only one king that can maintain it.

That would be hype though admittedly prolly ain’t gonna happen
Not at all, just picturing it alone makes it the most hype scene for me lol! Never say never, I think Legendary sees that the audience has responded extremely well to the scores used in KOTM. I wouldn't be surprised if they returned in GvK. Especially during pivotal moments, like in KOTM, they treated the scores as if they were their own thing, like "characters" in their own right. When you heard Godzilla's theme or Mothra's theme you either knew shiit was about to pop off or peace was about to be brought on.
This fits right in with what I hope will happen. There is no way, as much as I love Kong, that he can physically kill or permanently take the throne from Godzilla by himself. It just isn't happening, this isn't 1963 with 2 kaiju on equal yet limited terms duking it out, falling into an ocean and later confirming Kong won. This is a tried and true Godzilla, the biggest and baddest he's ever been (minus the shlock on Netflix), and the true King of the Monsters, the Titans, and the Humans. Tbh, he's the King of the World in this incarnation, he already travels and kills Titans all around it.

This is his universe, Kong just lives in it.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

My view isn't on the poll.

I honestly don't care who wins. As long as their fight, and its winner, serves the story well. As long as it keeps you guessing about what will happen next and who will come out on top.

I want to be surprised!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Kong's kind of a little shit. He doesn't play well with others I the novel is anything to go by. Godzilla beating him could be a pro cooperation and balance stance as opposed to a pro isolationist stance Kong could represent
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Hokmuto wrote:I think Godzilla will be winning at the end and about to do the final killing blow, alluding to the fact Godzilla is the winner and then a villain pops up.
The way it should go

Either that or Godzilla decapitates Kong. Don't really have a preference :D

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Moogabunga wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:I think Godzilla will be winning at the end and about to do the final killing blow, alluding to the fact Godzilla is the winner and then a villain pops up.
The way it should go

Imagine how stunned we'd all be if Godzilla brutally decapitates Kong to finish off his fatality trilogy.

It'd homage Kong's inevitable death whenever he steps off his island and would set up Godzilla's downfall for his next trilogy as the big bad 8-)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
The way it should go

Imagine how stunned we'd all be if Godzilla brutally decapitates Kong to finish off his fatality trilogy.

It'd homage Kong's inevitable death whenever he steps off his island and would set up Godzilla's downfall for his next trilogy as the big bad 8-)
yeah..... no. let Godzilla stay good, at least in this universe. maybe in whatever Toho has planned they could do something like that but this one's isn't it.

but if that does happen (doubt it) imagine how ironic it would be that the one to stop Godzilla's wrath.... is Kong's son, Kiko (or Kong Junior i call him), coming to avenge his late father and stop the mad Titan .
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Moogabunga wrote: The way it should go

yeah..... no. let Godzilla stay good, at least in this universe. maybe in whatever Toho has planned they could do something like that but this one's isn't it.
This