Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by RamshackleRanger »

miguelnuva wrote:Tull knowing who Gamera is ups his chances if Godzilla vs Kong and kotm makes bank like I think they will.

Also anyone that thinks Gamera looks too silly.needs to go watch the Gamera 3 scene where he wrecks the city. Same with Shin's first form and then the nuking of tokyo.

There is nothing wrong with Gamera having a "cheesy" entrance if he immediately does and acts badass right after.

Also nothing wrong with saying a fictional lost city of Atlantis built him either.
Tull isn't the ceo anymore, so I dont know how that helps.

And gamera does look silly. He's a Ufo turtle. He spins around with rockets coming out of his damn legholes. If that isn't silly I have no idea what is.

Entrances are half of these movies damn appeal. Picture the g14 entrance airport scene. Other than the cut, absolutely badass! Now imagine it as godzilla flying out of the ocean using his atomic breath as a jet. that gets rid of one of the films most awesome moments.

And, of course, there is EVERYTHING wrong with having Atlantis build him. One, atlantis? Really? Whats next, the amazons created biollante?
Two, that level of biomechanical and genetic engineering is insane. The furthest modern scientists have gotten today is creating self cloning lizards, synthesizing nitrogenous bases and inserting foreign dna into other creatures. Even if we go by the "Realistic reactions, not realistic kaiju!" and even if we say atlantis WAS a super advanced race, how the hell is that gonna end up with gamera? If anything they have the technology to create something far more powerful, and they aint gonna make a UFO flight turtle.

I love gamera. I think he's awesome and hilarious and makes for a great movie; however, I have said it before and i have no doubt that i will say it again. Not in the monsterverse.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:And gamera does look silly. He's a Ufo turtle. He spins around with rockets coming out of his damn legholes. If that isn't silly I have no idea what is.

Entrances are half of these movies damn appeal. Picture the g14 entrance airport scene. Other than the cut, absolutely badass! Now imagine it as godzilla flying out of the ocean using his atomic breath as a jet. that gets rid of one of the films most awesome moments.

And, of course, there is EVERYTHING wrong with having Atlantis build him. One, atlantis? Really? Whats next, the amazons created biollante?
Two, that level of biomechanical and genetic engineering is insane. The furthest modern scientists have gotten today is creating self cloning lizards, synthesizing nitrogenous bases and inserting foreign dna into other creatures. Even if we go by the "Realistic reactions, not realistic kaiju!" and even if we say atlantis WAS a super advanced race, how the hell is that gonna end up with gamera? If anything they have the technology to create something far more powerful, and they aint gonna make a UFO flight turtle.

I love gamera. I think he's awesome and hilarious and makes for a great movie; however, I have said it before and i have no doubt that i will say it again. Not in the monsterverse.
I still think Gamera is not really any more ridiculous than any other kaiju in the MonsterVerse, and your comparison to the airport entrance in the 2014 film doesn't make any sense. If anything, Godzilla flying in using his flame breath is the equivalent of Gamera being introduced by doing a parallel bar routine.: your'e treating a one-off silly moment that has never occurred again as if anyone approaching the character would have to include it.

Gamera has also never been introduced by flying in any of his "first" appearances. That ability is always built up to and used as a shock tactic.

You don't need an explanation for where he comes from, either: certainly the original film series and Gamera The Brave don't say where he comes from. He could be released from an iceberg and just be this mysterious beast that could easily be an alien.

Do I think it's likely he'll be included? No, I don't, sadly. But your argument that he's too silly for the MonsterVerse is basically the same thing G-Fans said about King Kong fighting Legendary's Godzilla before Godzilla vs. Kong was announced.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

He's no sillier than a golden scaled, 3 headed, dual tailed, fan-winged, "lightning" vomiting, bell cackling, spacefaring dragon.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Spoilers ahead:

As far as Gamera's flying, I would argue Kong caring and protecting/helping other animals and humans on the island when he's not eating and forming friendships with humans is more silly then Gamera's flying.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I agree that Gamera isn't more ridiculous than any of the aforementioned monsters, but dare I say it? I don't like Gamera enough to really be enthusiastic to see him appear or push. I also think he's too similar to Godzilla in terms of ability and functionality to really want him to cramp the space up.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

GigaBowserG wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:2. Who says Mothra will actually be a literal "goddess" in this film? Seems to just be a foregone assumption by a few fantasists on this forum and nowhere else, with absolutely no backing from the studio or anyone else on the planet.
By this same logic, who's to say Gamera would have the same origins as his Showa/Heisei counterparts? Saying he'd have rocket-boosting abilities is conjecture, too.
Doesn't matter. No Gamera movie will ever happen, thankfully.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:2. Who says Mothra will actually be a literal "goddess" in this film? Seems to just be a foregone assumption by a few fantasists on this forum and nowhere else, with absolutely no backing from the studio or anyone else on the planet.
By this same logic, who's to say Gamera would have the same origins as his Showa/Heisei counterparts? Saying he'd have rocket-boosting abilities is conjecture, too.
Doesn't matter. No Gamera movie will ever happen, thankfully.
You don't know that.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

miguelnuva wrote:
You don't know that.
Some things are so absurd that the default position should be that it's impossible.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

There is always the slightest chance for Gamera; never say never. Im sure people said King Ghidorah is never gonna appear in am american film, im sure people said there is no way for Godzilla vs Kong.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

HedorahGrabber
GPN Volunteer

Post by HedorahGrabber »

I think a good answer for this is why hasn't Gamera been in the IDW comics?

Clearly stating that Toho is not a fan of the character. So no monsterverse or any other sorts of media that shares with their main franchise.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I agree that Gamera isn't more ridiculous than any of the aforementioned monsters, but dare I say it? I don't like Gamera enough to really be enthusiastic to see him appear or push. I also think he's too similar to Godzilla in terms of ability and functionality to really want him to cramp the space up.
You're allowed to have your wrong opinion. :lol:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:im sure people said there is no way for Godzilla vs Kong.
They literally did, right up until Legendary announced it. "Mainstream audiences would never accept it." Never mind that casual fans or non-fans always asked when Godzilla and King Kong were going to fight any time they were brought up.

Gamera is much less known than Kong, but it's not an impossibility that the demand is there.
HedorahGrabber wrote:I think a good answer for this is why hasn't Gamera been in the IDW comics?

Clearly stating that Toho is not a fan of the character. So no monsterverse or any other sorts of media that shares with their main franchise.
Well, to be fair, Toho's strict demands of IDW also involved shooting down any crossovers, if I recall correctly. However, I agree that it's highly likely that they would always say no to Gamera being included because they view him as an imitator/competitor.

It's rather a shame that the only way Toho would probably go for it would be if Gamera lost spectacularly to Godzilla in a fight--and countless fan videos have demonstrated that that's the most boring way to approach it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Why is Toho so vehemently against Godzilla being involved with crossovers?

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

If I had to guess, it's probably because they place way too much importance into keeping Godzilla "pure" or something like that.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

Why not? Gamera can be really cool despite his silliness in the showa series. It will never happen, but this whole "monsterverse" franchise is all fun for me, I don't take it seriously to begin with, so a giant turtle who flies through space is no problem for me.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

scottzilla wrote:Why not? Gamera can be really cool despite his silliness in the showa series. It will never happen, but this whole "monsterverse" franchise is all fun for me, I don't take it seriously to begin with, so a giant turtle who flies through space is no problem for me.
I wish more people had this line of thinking. Fun and telling a good story should be the main priority above all.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
You don't know that.
Some things are so absurd that the default position should be that it's impossible.
Nothing on this Earth when it comes to fictional characters is impossible. I've lived through days in 2012 where I was called crazy for saying Godzilla might fight Kong again if the legendary film was successful on this very board and I was also in the group that was told Spiderman would never be in the MCU.

I wouldn't bet on Gamera joining the monsterverse but at the same time I'm not going to say there's no chance in hell of him joining either.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

This is a dead thread, figured I'd give it a revive since I didn't know where else to stick it lol. This is an interesting tweet by the owner of Kadokawa (Gamera's IP licensors)

Now at first you may be think awe man no new Gamera films since, "Kadokawa will not reboot the Gamera series". Remember this is a rough translation. ;)

HOWEVER, the head of Kadokawa says he thoroughly enjoyed Hollywood's KOTM, and thinks it's very popular.

He also thinks Gamera is an important IP, and he "wants to get excited", but "cannot say concrete things here". Then finishes by saying "I want you to improve your moods", basically saying chin up, there's something I can't say here and now, but soon.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

_JNavs_ wrote:This is a dead thread, figured I'd give it a revive since I didn't know where else to stick it lol. This is an interesting tweet by the owner of Kadokawa (Gamera's IP licensors)

Now at first you may be think awe man no new Gamera films since, "Kadokawa will not reboot the Gamera series".

HOWEVER, the head of Kadokawa says he thoroughly enjoyed Hollywood's KOTM, and thinks it's very popular.

He also thinks Gamera is an important IP, and he "wants to get excited", but "cannot say concrete things here". Then finishes by saying "I want you to improve your moods", basically saying chin up, there's something I can't say here and now, but soon.
Gamera Sucks!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Moogabunga wrote: Gamera Sucks!

Gamera is a God!

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

With the way KOTM has been performing is there much chance that this continues past the next film?

I'd like to see Godzilla against Gamera but honestly Gamera is such a weird Japanese thing that I'd rather see a Japanese production than an American one that has to explain or neuter every facet of what makes Gamera interesting.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.