Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Sonic
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Sonic »

What’s the world wide box office looking like? I hope it crosses 500 million world wide at least...

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Sonic wrote:What’s the world wide box office looking like? I hope it crosses 500 million world wide at least...
It won't
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Sonic wrote:What’s the world wide box office looking like? I hope it crosses 500 million world wide at least...
It won't
What’s it on at the moment? I mean, there’s always a chance...

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Sonic wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
It won't
346 million as of yesterday I believe
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Sonic wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
It won't

With its extension in China it is possible that it crosses $400 million worldwide, but there is a ZERO percent chance it gets to $500 million...

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Thanks.... what a big shame.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:For a quasi apocalyptic giant monster action blockbuster did KotM feel oddly small to anyone else?
The one bad thing I will say about this movie is that we really should have got more good old fashioned city destruction scenes, especially from Ghidorah. I mean, we see the aftermath of Washington DC getting destroyed, but not the act itself. Missed opportunity, would have sold Ghidorah better as an apocalyptic threat and increased the tension. Even GTTHM did a better job of giving us this considering what they had to work with back then. Gravity beams madly flying in every direction, buildings exploding and getting sliced down the middle, civilians and authorities alike reacting with utter shock and terror as their daily lives are interrupted by the cackling hell that just appeared in the sky out of nowhere, the works.
Last edited by JesstrK on Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

JesstrK wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:For a quasi apocalyptic giant monster action blockbuster did KotM feel oddly small to anyone else?
The one bad thing I will say about this movie is that we really should have got more good old fashioned city destruction scenes, especially from Ghidorah. I mean, we see the aftermath of Washington DC getting destroyed, but not the act itself. Missed opportunity, would have sold Ghidorah better as an apocalyptic threat and increased the tension. Even GTTHM did a better job of giving us this considering what they had to work with back then. Gravity beams madly flying in every direction, buildings exploding and getting sliced down the middle, the works.
I wholeheartedly agree on this. That scene where KG is just laying waste to Boston searching for Madison was awesome and made me wish we got more scenes of him just slaughtering people and obliterating structures, reducing populated settlements to barren wastelands.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I was hoping we'd see his hatred for Man by him just obliterating innocents running and cowering in his presence, buildings getting destroyed, and maybe one long side running shot of a street with people just running in fear and terror looking back as each group gets vaporized.

Similar to a modern version of the GTTHM scene
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

_JNavs_ wrote:I was hoping we'd see his hatred for Man by him just obliterating innocents running and cowering in his presence, buildings getting destroyed, and maybe one long side running shot of a street with people just running in fear and terror looking back as each group gets vaporized.

Like a crowd of people running mid-evacuation only for King Ghidorah to land right in front of them, and grin down at them with sick glee (Except Kevin who would be distracted by the empty evacuation vehicles behind him). Then after a tense moment, the people start running in the other way, Ghidorah just watches for a while, grinning even wider at their false hope (with Kevin would finally noticing all the tasty people to cook) before crushing it and vaporizing them all with gravity beams. But he leaves a parent or two parents with their child or children still alive, with them trying to protect their child or children, but the middle head just gets all the way close, makes a classic bidibidibidi, and just snaps them up in his jaws in an instant. Then when he starts laying waste to the rest of the place, cut to anothe scene.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GuardianGhido wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I was hoping we'd see his hatred for Man by him just obliterating innocents running and cowering in his presence, buildings getting destroyed, and maybe one long side running shot of a street with people just running in fear and terror looking back as each group gets vaporized.

Like a crowd of people running mid-evacuation only for King Ghidorah to land right in front of them, and grin down at them with sick glee (Except Kevin who would be distracted by the empty evacuation vehicles behind him). Then after a tense moment, the people start running in the other way, Ghidorah just watches for a while, grinning even wider at their false hope (with Kevin would finally noticing all the tasty people to cook) before crushing it and vaporizing them all with gravity beams. But he leaves a parent or two parents with a child still alive, with them trying to protect their child or children, but the middle head just gets all the way close, makes a classic bidibidibidi, and just snaps them up in his jaws in an instant. Then when he starts laying waste to the rest of the place, cut to anothe scene.
Exactly, something terrifying. Like out of a horror movie.

I don't know what kind of restrictions a PG-13 film has, but I've seen films before that really push the envelope on the rating.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

HD image of Behemoth:
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

After having seen the movie several times and putting away my hype, I rate this movie a 7/10.

Cringe humor, Oxygen Destroyer coming out of nowhere and feeling very forced, I felt they cut away too much to the humans during the final battle, wanted more destruction as others have said here (especially from Washington DC), and Charles Dance’s character being underutilized.

Those are all my complains. Everything else was great or are criticisms that I don’t really care all too much about.
Long Live The King

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GuardianGhido wrote:

Like a crowd of people running mid-evacuation only for King Ghidorah to land right in front of them, and grin down at them with sick glee (Except Kevin who would be distracted by the empty evacuation vehicles behind him). Then after a tense moment, the people start running in the other way, Ghidorah just watches for a while, grinning even wider at their false hope (with Kevin would finally noticing all the tasty people to cook) before crushing it and vaporizing them all with gravity beams. But he leaves a parent or two parents with their child or children still alive, with them trying to protect their child or children, but the middle head just gets all the way close, makes a classic bidibidibidi, and just snaps them up in his jaws in an instant. Then when he starts laying waste to the rest of the place, cut to anothe scene.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah, no.

That would have been an incrediblely out of left field tonal shift for the film that would have upset a lot of people, and rightfully so.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JesstrK wrote:
The one bad thing I will say about this movie is that we really should have got more good old fashioned city destruction scenes, especially from Ghidorah. I mean, we see the aftermath of Washington DC getting destroyed, but not the act itself. Missed opportunity, would have sold Ghidorah better as an apocalyptic threat and increased the tension. Even GTTHM did a better job of giving us this considering what they had to work with back then. Gravity beams madly flying in every direction, buildings exploding and getting sliced down the middle, civilians and authorities alike reacting with utter shock and terror as their daily lives are interrupted by the cackling hell that just appeared in the sky out of nowhere, the works.
For some reason these movies keep shying away from showing the monsters destroying cities on screen. I don't know if it's a budget thing, animating thing or some higher up thinking it's too "dark" and will dampen the fun of the movie. If the latter, someone needs to tell him/her/them that half the fun of these movies is seeing things get destroyed, not just the fights. Heck that's what appeals to a lot of non G fans about these movies, the disaster aspect cause disaster films are popular in the west.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:For some reason these movies keep shying away from showing the monsters destroying cities on screen. I don't know if it's a budget thing, animating thing or some higher up thinking it's too "dark" and will dampen the fun of the movie. If the latter, someone needs to tell him/her/them that half the fun of these movies is seeing things get destroyed, not just the fights. Heck that's what appeals to a lot of non G fans about these movies, the disaster aspect cause disaster films are popular in the west.
Ya know this never crossed my mind, in most Japanese Godzilla flicks, there is a kaiju at some point destroying a city. Either by his lonesome or with a friend. We've yet to see this in the Monsterverse (actually we kinda did when they showed the monsters awakening and destroying cities in KOTM) clearly.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I guess Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's Revenge aren't Japanese Godzilla movies.

They must have been secretly created by Americans all along!
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ivo-goji wrote:I guess Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's Revenge aren't Japanese Godzilla movies.

Bad choice of example with Sea Monster as there actually is a miniature destruction sequence in the film. Revenge also has a half second shot of Godzilla destroying a city from DAM.

Correct on Son of Godzilla, though! ;)

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Ivo-goji wrote:I guess Son of Godzilla isn't a Japanese Godzilla movie.

It must have been secretly created by Americans all along!
Lmfao ya got me there!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:I guess Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's Revenge aren't Japanese Godzilla movies.

Bad choice of example with Sea Monster as there actually is a miniature destruction sequence in the film. Revenge also has a half second shot of Godzilla destroying a city from DAM.

Correct on Son of Godzilla, though! ;)
Well by the same criteria, there is brief model destruction in Son of Godzilla as Godzilla destroys some buildings in the UN compound.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.