The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by _JNavs_ »

Oh lord
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Gothicserpent »

So anyway.

What do you think the total in China will be?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gothicserpent wrote:So anyway.

Well, considering it sounds like we may pass $130M this weekend and the movie's run being extended out to 20 weeks (which is WAY longer than I ever thought it would run), something like $145M to $150M sounds very believable. :)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Don't mine me y'all. Just sitting here drinking the tasty salty tears of the naysayers telling them.

I TOLD YOU SO!!!! 8-)

Waffen
Young Farmer

Post by Waffen »

So...Godzilla 3 never?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Waffen wrote:So...Godzilla 3 never?
Says...?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Waffen
Young Farmer

Post by Waffen »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Says...?
I mean I'm sure the question mark implies I have no idea. General mood about the performance of KoTM seems pretty mixed, a lot of pessimism and such. I've not done a whole load of research on how well it's done in all markets, don't really know how well it needs to perform in order to make a third movie possible.
I know we still have GvK to come, but I wonder what the higher ups in the company would see if GvK performs leaps and bounds better than KoTM.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:So anyway.

Well, considering it sounds like we may pass $130M this weekend and the movie's run being extended out to 20 weeks (which is WAY longer than I ever thought it would run), something like $145M to $150M sounds very believable. :)
That isn't very believable. 140 max.

Added in 55 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Don't mine me y'all. Just sitting here drinking the tasty salty tears of the naysayers telling them.

I TOLD YOU SO!!!! 8-)
Wow, very original comment
Long Live The King

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:Sad to say my pessimism paid off.
No it didn't you thought the movie would bomb. The movie under performed but it was a major flop. Considering how loaded the summer was plus Endgame the film did good.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Waffen wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Says...?
I mean I'm sure the question mark implies I have no idea. General mood about the performance of KoTM seems pretty mixed, a lot of pessimism and such. I've not done a whole load of research on how well it's done in all markets, don't really know how well it needs to perform in order to make a third movie possible.
I know we still have GvK to come, but I wonder what the higher ups in the company would see if GvK performs leaps and bounds better than KoTM.
Eh, I think it's done about as well as Pacific Rim did so far.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

In Lamens terms.........

What does this mean? Are we good or did we bomb?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Hokmuto wrote:That isn't very believable. 140 max.
Why not? Please explain your reasoning.

If it was only going to run 8 weeks, which is honestly all I expected from China, I could see your point. But I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't crawl up to at least $145M after 20 weeks.

Added in 24 minutes 57 seconds:
goji89 wrote:In Lamens terms.........

The movie fell into that awkward gray zone in between where it didn't bomb but also wasn't a clear success.

Which, obviously, is not what any of us hoped. The good news is that it's ended up being one of the better performing non-Disney movies of the summer so far, audiences who did see it seem to have really enjoyed it, and Legendary/WB seem to have not lost confidence in the MonsterVerse despite the rumors. While this was the movie we were most excited about, of the three movies they greenlit post-G14 this was the one that seemed to have the least riding on it.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

If it hit's 400$ million by the end of it's theater run it's not a bomb but not a success either. Just underperformed.

I don't know how you'd classify it since pretty much every movie outside of the Disney films either flat out bombed or underperformed. Godzilla KOTM actually did better then most of the other films released so that shows promise and this was just a very front loaded summer and every film was affected. I am sure Legendary/Warner also have looked into this possibility since there not moving Godzilla vs Kong.

I personally agree with this because the only film in May that did good that wasn't a Disney property was John Wick 3 but it's budget was only 70$ million. If it had a massive blockbuster budget it would have been a flop. Even Warner Bros other release Pokémon Detective Pikachu only did a little over 400$ million.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:

If it hit's 400$ million by the end of it's theater run it's not a bomb but not a success either. Just underperformed.

I don't know how you'd classify it since pretty much every movie outside of the Disney films either flat out bombed or underperformed. Godzilla KOTM actually did better then most of the other films released so that shows promise and this was just a very front loaded summer and every film was affected.
To be fair, it's possible every other movie underperformed because they were movies no one was interested in...

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Hokmuto wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Don't mine me y'all. Just sitting here drinking the tasty salty tears of the naysayers telling them.

I TOLD YOU SO!!!! 8-)
Wow, very original comment
No amount of telling him will ever get him to stop repeating the same shit over and over and over and over again. Stop trying to make it happen: it's not gonna happen. He's only going to continue doing this, all while claiming time and time again how shitty the new Aladdin movie is despite never actually having seen it
Last edited by Ryguy on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

At the moment, KOTM is the tenth highest grossing movie in the world. This is actually quite impressive considering how overwhelmingly dominant Disney has been this year: five of the top ten movies this year are Disney films (Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel, Aladdin, Alita: Battle Angel, and Dumbo) and will probably soon be six once Toy Story 4 gets rolling. If you excluded Disney films, the worldwide top ten would be:

1. The Wandering Earth (China Film Group)
2. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Universal)
3. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu (Warner Brothers/Legendary)
4. Shazam! (Warner Brothers/New Line Pictures)
5. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Warner Brothers/Legendary)
6. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Lionsgate/Summit)
7. Us (Universal)
8. Glass (Universal)
9. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (Warner Brothers)
10. The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Universal)

Like, I knew Disney was going to have a big year this year, but DAMN.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Ryguy wrote:No amount of telling him will ever get him to stop repeating the same poop over and over and over and over again. Stop trying to make it happen: it's not gonna happen. He's only going to continue doing this, all while claiming time and time again how shitty the new Aladdin movie is despite never actually having seen it
That's rich coming from the guy whose being an negative nancy about this film. :lol: :roll:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Ryguy wrote:No amount of telling him will ever get him to stop repeating the same poop over and over and over and over again. Stop trying to make it happen: it's not gonna happen. He's only going to continue doing this, all while claiming time and time again how shitty the new Aladdin movie is despite never actually having seen it
That's rich coming from the guy whose being an negative nancy about this film. :lol: :roll:
you should see his newest comment in the beyond 2020 thread. Seriously Ry eat a snickers or something.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

tyrantgoji wrote:you should see his newest comment in the beyond 2020 thread. Seriously Ry eat a snickers or something.
Ryguy is pretty much the new BARAGONBREH of whom the latter used to be. :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

He did it, guys! He said the thing again!
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.